I Come Bearing Impotant Formatting Advice!T

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
(And yes, I stuffed up the title with a typo)

Probably worth it or Rejection-ees, but here’s some formatting tips I picked up on my various querying rounds that may be impactful (or not). Most are oldies but goodies, and bear repeating.

US LETTER - For us Euro or Antipodean A4 Page writers, this format is shorter and wider, and fits less pages in. Probably not an issue due to digital being the norm, but one never knows what people are reading in. If you are querying US agents, change the format. Vice versa for UK.

GMAIL HORROR - if you have a Gmail address, every web browser and app other than Chrome in Windows is probably going to stuff up the formatting. (In my case, it takes away the double space of the included query pages.... at page 5.) if you want the best chance, send your Gmails by Chrome only.

KINDLE TITLES - if you have any partial or fulls sent to an agent, a lot of them are reading on their Kindles now. And if you ever had a stupid title before settling on a good one, MS word saves the first stupid title as Original Metadata that ends up in an Kindle’s Title list rather than the actual Awesome Title. Change this in the “Properties” of your MS otherwise the agent you are querying will know your book only as “DRAFT 1 Of Untitled BS”

if anyone has anything interesting to add, please let me know....

Last edited:

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
These are good tips.

You can fix the title by going "Edit Post" --> "Go Advanced" and changing the post title.

GMAIL HORROR - if you have a Gmail address, every web browser and app other than Chrome in Windows is probably going to stuff up the formatting. (In my case, it takes away the double space of the included query pages.... at page 5.) if you want the best chance, send your Gmails by Chrome only.

Gotta have Google's proprietary products, y'see. "We're not evil!"

You should be able to fix this problem by importing into Gmail from Wordpad or another rich text editor. It's fairly similar to copy/pasting into AW or Wordpress (also rich text editors).

Gmail has its own bizarre formatting add-ons which interpret what you put into it in surprising and exhilarating ways. If you want nice, boring business communication (i.e., a query letter), you can highlight what you paste in and select "Clear Formatting" from Gmail's formatting bar (the T with an x in the corner).

Doing this on your pages will erase any italics or underlines, so best to either paste from RTF or go back through and make sure they're in there.