Dual Timelines - Arg...

Versailles

Registered
Reaction score
[I also posted this in Basic Writing Questions but also wanted to post here as I write historical fiction. Hope that's okay]

What's the appeal of dual timeline novels? I personally don't like them, and I would think switching back and forth between two distinct story lines takes the reader out of one story, jolts them into another, then pulls them back again, etc.

I'm more of a linear gal, but for the second time my agent is advocating a dual timeline for a book I am working on. The first time he suggested it, I tried it out for some sample chapters and it worked - everyone agreed it made the story stronger - but I want to understand WHY it worked and why it made the story stronger.

I eventually abandoned that book - my heart wasn't in it - and have been working on a new project. This new book takes place over the course of one day and has a lot of backstory and after submitting my first draft, my agent is once again suggesting that because of the amount of backstory, I switch it over to a dual timeline and build the backstory in a distinct storyline at the same time as the current story / day unfolds.

I'm speaking to him tomorrow and before we talk I'm trying to wrap my head around the appeal of a backstory - any thoughts or experiences would be helpful! Thanks.

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
I unfortunately don't have any advice for you, but I also don't really understand the dual timeline appeal. It seems to be especially popular in historical fiction these days. I have seen some writers who make it work, but it can be very difficult pulling off modern and historical plots that are both equally compelling.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Susanna Kearsley does a beautiful job of this. Take a look at some of her books.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also posted this in Basic Writing Questions...
OK that's why I'm confused and why you don't necessarily need a duplicate post in a different subforum.

... I'm more of a linear gal, but for the second time my agent is advocating a dual timeline for a book I am working on. The first time he suggested it, I tried it out for some sample chapters and it worked - everyone agreed it made the story stronger - but I want to understand WHY it worked and why it made the story stronger....
I refer you to DarienW's post in the other thread:
I think one of the advantages of the dual time line is that the backstory events can be told in live scenes, rather than being reflected on by the MC in the current story and potentially slowing the narrative.

Either an author writes backstory (snippets preferable to prologues in my opinion, not that prologues don't have their own place) if it can be told as exposition, or, another option is interspersed timelines.

In the the book I'm writing, giving little references to the fact my character was bullied just doesn't cut it. It's so much more than that. She maintains her self esteem when she's away from them and she crumbles in their presence. Have you (or your character) ever been left with all the things you would have said, but you didn't say at the time? Have you ever struggled with believing in yourself one minute then doubting yourself later because of the consequences for your choices? You wish you were in that clique, then you think how bored you'd be if you were?

You can't write that as exposition or back story when it's so critical to the story.

There are always going to be readers who like or don't like parallel stories. That should not drive your story even if you are the person who likes or doesn't like parallel stories.

Think about how the story is best told. I'm pretty sure if it's done right that most readers will be fine with parallel story lines. The way I've written it, (because I am nearly done, I swear,:tongue) is to write both stories separately then merge them together later.

Last edited:

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Blush. Thanks for the call out, MaeZe!

I'm trying to put extra POVs in an established story, and I'm doing exactly what you are MaeZe, studying them separately to polish them up as one continuous sub-plot. Not exactly dual time line, but similar.

I do agree it's best to just do one post. I did a recent one and the admin moved it to where it belongs. The loss is all the reactions and comments being in one place.

Best of luck, Versailles! I know it's a nightmare to reframe a whole book! (see POVs above, lol!)

:)

Versailles

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I do think the amount of backstory is currently slowing down the story, and that's the primary reason it's been suggested I flesh everything out in another story line. I'm actually looking forward to being able to flesh out the history and in real time narrative, not flashbacks - just not sure how it will all come together. This has been helpful to give me some acceptance and ideas before talking with my agent, and I 100% trust his judgment.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Often flashbacks can create narrative explanation for a key part of a character's actions. One tool for this is the dual timeline. My latest project has two timelines (and I've done several in the past). It's difficult, and both timelines are complete stories. I've tried to balance the action/conflict/resolution/growth on both to be equal, and to make the transitions minimal, realistic, and natural. The current one is between 1992 Miami and 1103 Iceland, so at least it's instantly obvious exactly where and when the story is! Even so, I add a 'Miami, 1992' heading when I switch.