Hi I'm Isaac

padawan

Registered
Reaction score
Just figured I'd introduce myself and wondering if anyone has any general advice for a new(ish) writer. I love sci-fi and fantasy

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Isaac.

:welcome:

If you want to write for money, you sell skill. If you have not taken formal instruction on writing for the areas you want to focus on, take some. There are free learning materials online or you can take classes you pay for. There are plenty of books on writing. Just reading isn't going to be enough to be able to write well.

You did not give us much (e.g. writing goals, writing skill, and so forth). If you provide more information, of what you need and want, someone can provide a better response than what I provided.

Last edited:

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Greetings, Isaac!

My only advice is get used to the grind of constant revising.

Best of luck, and welcome to AW!

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Hi Isaac,
Welcome to AW! There are lots of great threads on writing, and more specific stuff in the science fiction and fantasy area. Hopefully you will find what you are looking for to help with the writing.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Ed8350

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Isaac. Welcome. Check out Stephen King's On Writing. I found it really informative. Welcome and good luck.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW Isaac. Looks like the others have given you some good starter points, so best of luck.