• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Are Novella Anthologies Viable?

Druce Gildas

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was a frequent participant on this forum a number of years ago, but have completely forgot my login details since that time, so I just started a new account. I'm glad to be back.

Growing up I was always inspired by the pulp fiction stories of the early twentieth century, and there are still many things that appeal to me about them now. It's what really got me into writing novellas—I always loved the fact that you can pick one up, even one from a long running series, and have a great experience without having to commit a massive amount of time to doing so, or having to understand the expansive mythology that may lie behind the story. They're very much standalone.

In short, I'm currently writing an anthology that features three novellas about the same character. They're essentially episodic adventures, and while the character certainly develops through his stories, they're very much standalone.

I'm very torn on this issue. On the one hand, it's absolutely what I want to write. No question. But on the other, I get the impression that such works are not particularly marketable in the present day. It also seems a massive risk for someone who has never been published before. Most of the advice that I've found concerning anthologies assumes that they're going to feature completely unrelated stories from multiple writers, and even then they're spoken of as something that's extremely hard to sell except for an established author.

Can anyone offer any thoughts on this matter?

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If it's 3 stories from the same author, about the same character, why go to the trouble of calling it an 'anthology', which, as a reader, makes me think of something different? Short stories, for one thing, either by a group of writers, or one writer, but in either case, someone well-known enough that it's a known quantity.
Why not just call it a novel, and, instead of chapters, call the three divisions 'episodes', or similar? 'Chapter' implies parts of a whole, while 'episodes', or 'events', suggests incidents in a character's life. Indeed, you could follow up with other 'episodes' at a later date.

Druce Gildas

Registered
Reaction score
If it's 3 stories from the same author, about the same character, why go to the trouble of calling it an 'anthology', which, as a reader, makes me think of something different? Short stories, for one thing, either by a group of writers, or one writer, but in either case, someone well-known enough that it's a known quantity.
Why not just call it a novel, and, instead of chapters, call the three divisions 'episodes', or similar? 'Chapter' implies parts of a whole, while 'episodes', or 'events', suggests incidents in a character's life. Indeed, you could follow up with other 'episodes' at a later date.

Hmm. I never thought of that. I thought that "novel" implied a single story of a particular length. And yes, I actually have twelve further stories already outlined, and so I'd like to produce multiple volumes ultimately. I don't tend to bring up such long term plans though, because I feel like it's tempting fate. I was actually going to subtitle this first book "Volume 1".

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
By my understanding, and I may be wrong in which case this is a learning experience, an anthology is a bunch of stories from different people tied by a single thread, while a group of shorter fiction from a single author is a collection. As for your account, reach out to AW Admin. They're usually pretty good about getting people matched back up with lost accounts.

Druce Gildas

Registered
Reaction score
By my understanding, and I may be wrong in which case this is a learning experience, an anthology is a bunch of stories from different people tied by a single thread, while a group of shorter fiction from a single author is a collection. As for your account, reach out to AW Admin. They're usually pretty good about getting people matched back up with lost accounts.

Hmm. Google suggests that you may be right about that.

It's alright—I can't even remember what e-mail address or username I used for that account. The only thing I've lost of any value was access to the forum for getting feedback, but I don't need that these days.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
In short, I'm currently writing an anthology that features three novellas about the same character. They're essentially episodic adventures, and while the character certainly develops through his stories, they're very much standalone.

Just to avoid confusion, I would point out that what you're talking about doing is referred to as a collection, not an anthology. Anthologies are composed of stories gathered by an editor from different authors.

As to your question, there's no way to know. If the work is of exceptional quality, you might be able to interest an agent or publisher in it.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Also sometimes called an "omnibus edition".

As far the novellas go: my Southern Gothic trilogy is novellas. I found a small publisher who is very interested in publishing sets of novellas. (They have a specific business model to publish the individual novellas primarily as ebooks (sometimes with limited print copies to be sold at conventions) and then when all three or four of the novellas are out, they produce an omnibus/collected edition that has all three or four novellas in a single volume that's available as an ebook, in print, and eventually as an audiobook. [Note: they use print-on-demand service for the print copies at this point.])

Other publishers like Apex and Tor also take novellas (for speculative fiction), as does Upper Rubber Boot, The Book Smugglers and Twelfth Planet. (I write SF/F/H so that's who I've researched. If you are writing in a different genre you may have different results in your search.) But, novellas are making a bit of a comeback and if that's what you like to write, then that's what you should write.

If you're thinking to use this project to seek agent representation I would 1) wait until you have the entire set written and at least consider adding a paragraph to your query letter that touches on your research into the resurgence in novellas because they are not typically something an agent will consider for representation. If you just want to go to publishers, do your research and figure out where you might fit.

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say with the rise of graphic novels and Web comics into more mainstream readers knowledge selling a collection of novellas as volume 1 with the stories being episodes might actually help you marketing wise. It sounds interesting.