Shots, Scenelets, Scenes, Sequences - and Acts

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I live in Hollywoodland and occasionally go to talks and take seminars in my hobby of screen writing. So I've learned a lot about the theory and practice of the art. Some of it translates directly into fiction writing, some indirectly. (And some not at all.) Story telling is essentially the same regardless of the medium.

The following helps me a lot when I write a story. Maybe it'll help you. Maybe not.

A screen play tells a story with "shots" at the most fundamental level. A single camera setup, showing a view of a subject. Most often the subject is moving, movies being about movement.

Even when the subject is unmoving (as in a view of a moment during a sunrise) the overall sense of several related shots is of movement: the sun slowly rising. So the second level of a play is the "scenelet": a big chunk of the overall scene.

"Scenes" are several shots/scenelets strung together. They have a definite space/time start point and end point.

"Sequences" are several related scenes. Maybe a chase made up of intercut scenes from the viewpoints of the chaser and the chased.

Finally comes several sequences which make up an "act."

A stage play usually has three acts, or four acts with an intermission in the middle. TV plays often have a short "tease" act and a "tag" act at the start and finish of the story. A half hour TV play often has three middle acts, an hour TV play often has six middle acts. (Gotta make way for commercials, you know.) A screen play is on average two hours, so it has about a dozen acts.

I'll bet you know all this, subconsciously at least. You've watched many thousands of stories, large and small. Your subconscious is an absolute genius about learning and organizing knowledge so that you can use it instantly and intuitively.

That's how we create stories, intuitively, rarely thinking about structure. When we do the result may be disastrous. A centipede could never crawl if it had to control each leg's actions consciously.

Still, I occasionally stop a few moments after a page or half page and wonder: Did my paragraphs/shots show movement of some kind? Maybe physical movement, maybe non-physical movement?

When I write a story I use this to help me organize my thoughts. I almost literally see a play and transcribe it. A shot becomes a paragraph, for instance. A sequence becomes a chapter, and so on. This has the advantage that when a story is done it's mostly "shown."

Though I may summarize some scenelets or scenes, if they are not important enough to be fleshed out. I "tell" them, not "show" them. Or if a scenelet/scene is really unimportant, and can be guessed by my readers, I'll leave them out entirely, the literary equivalent of a jump cut in a movie.

Plays and novels are two art forms, so this approach is only a handy tool. Novels have several advantages over plays. Among them we can get inside someone's head, which is very hard to do in a play.

What about you? Do you do something similar?

Last edited:

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
This is a great subject.

I've written a dozen feature screenplays (none produced) and three produced shorts, plus three novels, and the scripts have definitely helped me with novel writing, which is my preference.

I don't outline and instead assemble a 'movie' in my head, which I run over and over, 'editing' it until it's detailed enough to transcribe. I don't think in any detail about scenes and shots and movement, which I think would confuse the process for me. I try to view my novels as movies with thoughts and work my way through on instinct.

Scriptwriting added a great deal to my fiction writing and I'd certainly recommend it to any writer looking to extend their knowledge and experience.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting, but I must say I'm not exactly clear what response is wanted here.

I've no doubt that, when working in one medium, one would draw on whatever relevant helpful knowledge or experience one had of any other medium.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
When I write a story I use this to help me organize my thoughts. I almost literally see a play and transcribe it. A shot becomes a paragraph, for instance. A sequence becomes a chapter, and so on. This has the advantage that when a story is done it's mostly "shown."

I used to drive up to LA and read bound screenplays at the Writer's Guild of America West on occasion. The craft of writing screenplays and novels is greatly different. I'd imagine making films is mostly different, to writing novels, but has similarities (e.g. storyboarding). Writing novels is more drawn out, and involves things one may not see in movies (due to time/length restrictions). I would not use film to pants or plot a book. Fight scenes are completely different for books than movies. There are considerable differences and dangers.

I see a book as a movie. Acts are the same. Chapters (books) are a sequences of plot points (events). I guess chapters are sequences in film. Scenes (books) are a collection of narrative and/or dialogue to complete a plot point/event/task. It sounds like a scene in book writing is the same as a scene in film. A paragraph is a complete thought (novels), and a sentence is a thought (novels). I guess shots (film) are equivalent to either paragraphs or sentences, depending on the film.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
My last novel was adapted from a screenplay, so it was a very interesting exercise to compare the process.

They are very different and both are equally difficult, but while do I like the challenge of writing within a screenplay's fairly rigid restraints and format, I prefer the freedom of a novel.

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
Hi Steve

So do I (prefer the freedom of a novel). I've written about this before but for what it's worth...

I really thought my second novel was going to get up with a major publisher, back in about 2002. One of the commissioning editors was pretty keen on my novel and a fairly bigtime agent also got involved when she realised the publisher was quite serious. Negotiations went back and forth for a few weeks and then disaster. The editor told me that, even though he loved the book, no-one else did on the publishing committee...so that was that. The agent immediately dropped me as well.

I was deeply depressed for a while and stopped writing, but you can't hold off The Urge forever. When I resumed, I decided to have a go at screenplays - not least as I guessed they'd be much quicker to write so less of my life would be wasted producing something that was just gonna be rejected in any case. I rattled off two features plus a stage play in about a year and learnt A LOT. Especially the need for dialogue to be supertight and carry the story forward.

The next time I started writing a novel I was immediately aware how strong my dialogue had become, but also the prose was generated under the same tight discipline - getting every word exactly right. That novel was accepted by the first publisher to whom I showed it.

To this day when aspiring writers ask my advice, I always suggest they have a go at other literary forms, especially screenplays and poetry. They are both fantastic for teaching precision and parsimony, which is what you need to get the best out of your plot.

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
To further illuminate my point re the need for tight dialogue which carries the story forward...

I have read quite a lot of stuff by beginner writers, including some SYW here on AW, even though I've never published a crit here. The number one giveaway I see, time and again, for work that is not polished enough to attract the interest of a mainstream publisher or a self-pub audience (IMHO) is the dialogue. The amount of banal dialogue I see - usually just there so one of the characters can make a snarky semi-quip - which does not take the story forward...

Every word a character says has to matter, and screenplays teach excellent discipline for learning that as a kind of second nature.

Emily Patrice

Registered
Reaction score
I think I learned a lot about writing dialog from reading screenplays, too. Screenplay dialog has a rhythm to it.

I don't think novel dialog needs to be exactly the same. There's room for more of it, and sometimes five words of dialog is a good way of showing something that would've been conveyed visually in film, thus avoiding having the novel's narrator describe the thing instead.

If every scene in a novel needs to do double duty (it can't just be about what it's about), I think pretty much every line of dialog should do the same -- it should do at least two of these three things:
- advance the plot
- illuminate character
- enhance atmosphere

So if your dialog's doing the second two in a particular exchange, it doesn't need to advance the plot.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Steve

So do I (prefer the freedom of a novel). I've written about this before but for what it's worth...

I really thought my second novel was going to get up with a major publisher, back in about 2002. One of the commissioning editors was pretty keen on my novel and a fairly bigtime agent also got involved when she realised the publisher was quite serious. Negotiations went back and forth for a few weeks and then disaster. The editor told me that, even though he loved the book, no-one else did on the publishing committee...so that was that. The agent immediately dropped me as well.

I was deeply depressed for a while and stopped writing, but you can't hold off The Urge forever. When I resumed, I decided to have a go at screenplays - not least as I guessed they'd be much quicker to write so less of my life would be wasted producing something that was just gonna be rejected in any case. I rattled off two features plus a stage play in about a year and learnt A LOT. Especially the need for dialogue to be supertight and carry the story forward.

The next time I started writing a novel I was immediately aware how strong my dialogue had become, but also the prose was generated under the same tight discipline - getting every word exactly right. That novel was accepted by the first publisher to whom I showed it.

To this day when aspiring writers ask my advice, I always suggest they have a go at other literary forms, especially screenplays and poetry. They are both fantastic for teaching precision and parsimony, which is what you need to get the best out of your plot.

Pretty much mirrors my own experience and I'm sure the few years I spent honing my screenwriting skills really helped me get the final draft of my novel sold.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I've admired the dialog in TV shows especially, being amazed at how much a single sentence can accomplish. I've been even more amazed at the skill of writers for ensemble programs such as Modern Family and Big Bang Theory. In the 23 minutes of a half hour program they often have three separate story lines, meaning they have about 7 minutes to tell each story.

The benefit of the shot/scenelet/scene/sequence/act ideas is that it helps me break stories into meaningful parts, letting me focus on each and see how they fit into the complete story. Divide to conquer, in other words.

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Laer,

Your initial post was VERY well written and I took a lot away from it. I particularly enjoyed the portion of shots being compared to paragraphs. That makes me consider, ponder and contemplate very hard. I like that idea A LOT and I feel that I'll try to implement such a thing as I keep chugging along at my works.

Thank you! Great topic! Looking forward to more replies!

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I particularly enjoyed the portion of shots being compared to paragraphs.

That is a first approximation of one function of a paragraph - or several paragraphs for complex shots: to summarize an action. Screenplays are mostly a long list of summary after summary of actions. Some are more detailed than others, but mostly each summary is pretty brief.

Because many talented and skilled pros turn each shot into the specifics of every story. Set designers and location finders and special effects artists create the settings. Actors translate characters into fleshed-out believable reality. Screen writers and movie editors bossed by directors weave the plot.

In fiction writing terms, screenplays are all telling. Fictional stories are mostly all showing (with some telling to quickly get past the less important actions).

Even "showing" is fairly lean. It has just enough sensory detail for our readers to do what all those movie pros do - build an artificial three-dimensional reality.

So screenplays are a good starting point for a novel. They are basically an outline of the plot, the many actions of the story. Being skeletal, they can help us structure our story in our imaginations, to keep track of all the parts and how they fit together.

Paragraphs have other functions. They can describe historical background, explain processes, discuss philosophical or ethical ideas, and so on. Leaner novels have very little of those kinds of paragraphs, but even the leanest probably needs some of them. Some of the most profound and literary works have lots of those paragraphs.

But at the bottom, the bricks of those works, are the humble shots.