waiting.gif

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Helloooooo. Anyone still waiting? meredithakatz? Sparverius? Anyone? Anyone? I just realized this thread is over two years old. :Wha:

I was beginning to wonder if this slush pile got lost in the shuffle, what with everything going to hell and whatnot, so I had a boo at the Grinder and saw two recent Rs for subs that are about the same vintage as mine. *sniffs* Ah, that was a good year; it has that that satisfying, ripe-for-rejection bouquet. :greenie

I dropped two to #51. But I haven't moved in weeks.

Anyone...?

Last edited:

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not in their novella slush pile, but they are reviewing my agent-submitted full manuscript. At least some of their editors are reading new material during the pandemic upheaval. Two years seems too long for exclusive consideration, but you've reported steady movement at the tectonic plate level--slow but inevitable. It's like waiting for spring on a planet with a lengthy and eccentric orbital cycle. Here's hoping the ice breaks free soon and the river begins flowing!

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
I'm not in their novella slush pile, but they are reviewing my agent-submitted full manuscript. At least some of their editors are reading new material during the pandemic upheaval. Two years seems too long for exclusive consideration, but you've reported steady movement at the tectonic plate level--slow but inevitable. It's like waiting for spring on a planet with a lengthy and eccentric orbital cycle. Here's hoping the ice breaks free soon and the river begins flowing!
Haha! Yeah, hopefully something will shake loose soon. And, damn, Dawg. I didn't know you landed an agent. Congratulations! And now you're on sub? Wow, that must be exciting (and terrifying :tongue). Good luck! *crosses tentacles*

And thanks for the slushing intel. Good to know they're still reading. Yeah, two years (well, it won't be two years until August--my sub isn't quite as old as this thread) is a long time. TBH, I can't even remember if they said no sim-subs. *goes to see if guidelines are still up* Ah, they are:

We prefer that you not simultaneously submit your story to Tor.com and other venues. If you do, however, and your novella is accepted by a different venue, please immediately withdraw your submission from Tor.com.
I guess I could have been subbing to other markets. But it's kind of a moot point because I can't think of another SF novella market that accepts sim subs, so. *shrugs*

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
(My sense is you could write ... like ... thirty new novellas equally as awesome as that one, in the two years anyway...)

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
I'm #2, and my two year anniversary is next week! It's sad to me that the work being evaluated is so old. I've grown immensely in the last two years, but I doubt the time or the potential of current-skill-level revision is any part of consideration.

Good luck everyone still waiting! :)

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
(My sense is you could write ... like ... thirty new novellas equally as awesome as that one, in the two years anyway...)
Hah! Yeah, I've been a bit lazy. And I'm also trying not to write novellas. Unfortunately my muse seems to like that length. :rant:

I'm #2, and my two year anniversary is next week! It's sad to me that the work being evaluated is so old. I've grown immensely in the last two years, but I doubt the time or the potential of current-skill-level revision is any part of consideration.

Good luck everyone still waiting! :)
Good luck to you too, Sparverius! *tentacles crossed for you and any lurkers out there*

meredithakatz

Some kind of shapeshifter, probably
Registered
Reaction score
Website
softcryptid.com
I'm still waiting! I've been at #60 for a couple months now, I assume the World Situation is impacting whether or not they're reading rn. (Which... fair. It's also impacting whether or not I'M reading).

ETA on 06/27: I've dropped to #54!

Last edited:

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Good to see you're still in the running, meredithakatz. :D And whoa, the queue is dropping! Reporting in at #42, cuz, yanno, 42. :tongue

phantom000

Registered
Reaction score
Mean came in over a month ago, i need to check my e-mail more carefully, and i got a personalized rejection which is more than i was expecting.

meredithakatz

Some kind of shapeshifter, probably
Registered
Reaction score
Website
softcryptid.com
Alas, my rejection came in today - I think I was around 48 in queue but hadn't checked in a couple of days. Survived a 711 day wait, that's not nothing!

Best of luck to everyone still in the queue!

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Aw, sorry for the Rs phantom000 and meredithakatz. Wow, 711 days! I can't believe it's been almost two years since we subbed. Seems like an entirely different era now, given everything that's happened since then. Actually, it feels like at some point we switched to an alternate reality. A highly improbable alternate reality. Commiserations all around (and not just for the Rs). :Hug2:

I'm at #39 in the queue. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
phantom000, personalized is excellent !! and meredithakatz, 711, you're a trooper :Hug2:

I'm really happy to see the queue is still moving for some. I remain at #2. 816 days in.

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Hello my lovelies. I should be NaNo-ing, so I thought I'd procrastinate by checking in here. I'm at #20. I think I'll fire off a note to Tor.com to see if my MS is still under consideration, or if it ended up in an alternate universe. You know, the normal universe, not the bizarro one we're currently experiencing.

Anyone else still waiting? Spar? Lurkers?

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
But Spar, 918 days IS impressive. I think that must be some kind of record. :roll: Seriously though, It's odd that they haven't responded to your agent's nudges, especially because they now say this in their guidelines:

Tor.com Novella Submissions are currently closed. The following guidelines describe our previous open period, which is still being evaluated. We plan to reopen, but do not currently have a confirmed date. It is unlikely to be any time in 2019 but will update this page with concrete plans when we decide on dates and genre. If you have been waiting for a response, please email [email protected].

Which is why I nudged them.

And holy crap, Harlequin, I just noticed your siggy and read about your book deal! This must be the same book your agent drooled over on Twitter? It sounds amazing, and I can't wait to get my hooks on it. Congratulations! :partyguy:

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Many thanks pasty! Yeah naomi was pretty happy haha.Ironically, in relation to this thread anyway, I'm now able to submit short stories to Tor Dot com through my editor. I was genuinely thinking about slipping in a quiet question to them re tor novella programme just to see if I can find out what the heck is going on over there.

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Many thanks pasty! Yeah naomi was pretty happy haha.Ironically, in relation to this thread anyway, I'm now able to submit short stories to Tor Dot com through my editor I was genuinely thinking about slipping in a quiet question to them re tor novella programme just to see if I can find out what the heck is going on over there.
Ooh, nice, you getting a direct pipeline to the editor! Pasty is verrah jealous. But don't you go getting yourself in trouble over questioning their quagmired queue (awful alliteration brought to you by the number Q and the letter gin). I'm sure they'll get back to us sometime within the next decade or two. :tongue

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Haha, it's alright, it's a different editing team so I won't be antagonising my own editor :evil

I'm supposed to send any tor dot com submissions to her anyway, so that she can tell me whether or not my short story sucks before passing it along lol. I thought I might ask, while doing that, whether their novella programme is even still running, because I would truthfully like to write a novella sometime. See what they say about the delays etc, anyway!

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Haha, it's alright, it's a different editing team so I won't be antagonising my own editor :evil

I'm supposed to send any tor dot com submissions to her anyway, so that she can tell me whether or not my short story sucks before passing it along lol. I thought I might ask, while doing that, whether their novella programme is even still running, because I would truthfully like to write a novella sometime. See what they say about the delays etc, anyway!
Oh, I see. That's a clever way to sneak that question in there. And writing a novella is loads of fun; you should do it! Do eet nooooow (Arnie voice). Thanks, Harlequin!

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
It's been so long, I kind of forgot about this thread. But then I wrote a blog post about rejections (including this rejection), which brought it to mind. Anyway, I got a 964-day form rejection on March 31, 2021. Funnily enough, that wasn't my worst rejection (HAHA SO HILARIOUS *cries*). :tongue

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's been so long, I kind of forgot about this thread. But then I wrote a blog post about rejections (including this rejection), which brought it to mind. Anyway, I got a 964-day form rejection on March 31, 2021. Funnily enough, that wasn't my worst rejection (HAHA SO HILARIOUS *cries*). :tongue
I remember back about twenty years ago, after a personal solicitation at Viable Paradise, Sandra Macdonald (sp?) subbed to Tor. Then, each year after, she sent a birthday card to her manuscript. I think it finally galvanised them to send a response.

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
I remember back about twenty years ago, after a personal solicitation at Viable Paradise, Sandra Macdonald (sp?) subbed to Tor. Then, each year after, she sent a birthday card to her manuscript. I think it finally galvanised them to send a response.
Well that's just all kinds of awesome. :roll: Wish I'd thought of that. Mind you, I don't have the guts. šŸ˜Ø

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bahahaha!

Reactions: PastyAlien