Tor.com Opening to Novella Submissions

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Cover letters are simple. "Dear Editor (if you know the name of the editor(s) it's fine to put those here or just leave it as "Editor"), Attached for consideration is my <insert genre> novella, "The Awesome Adventure of a Wheel of Cheese in Space/Forest of Doom/whatever", of <insert word count here>.
Thanks for the info, Aggy. I had the same question as Siwyenbast, having never subbed a novella before. I'm all :hooray: over not having to write a query-type letter or synopsis, since the deadline is looming and I'm still revising. *wipes sweat off forehead*

Good luck to everyone subbing!

Last edited:

Siwyenbast

Registered
Reaction score
So, how's everyone coming along on this? I've gotten mine to my beta, who is wanting to take copious notes for suggestions and such.

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
Good luck, Siwyenbast! How fun.

I'm still waiting on the first round. #75 in queue. I'm hoping they will get through by Aug so I can sub to Fireside if I get an R.

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Has anyone taken note of whether this opportunity comes up regularly? In this post, Lee Harris responded to a comment and said there would be future opportunities. On AW, I see another thread from 2015... hoping it's not usually so spaced out.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know when exactly in July they are going to be open to submissions? It's still saying it's closed.

phantom000

Registered
Reaction score
I have something i have been polishing since 2016, i just have no idea how much more polish it needs. I guess I could submit it anyway, i mean the worse that could happen is they just reject it, right?

Does anyone know of a way to check up on Tor.com and see if its legit?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I have something i have been polishing since 2016, i just have no idea how much more polish it needs. I guess I could submit it anyway, i mean the worse that could happen is they just reject it, right?

Does anyone know of a way to check up on Tor.com and see if its legit?

It's Tor. They're one of the most legit of legit of Sci-fi and fantasy.

phantom000

Registered
Reaction score
I just found out the piece I was working on is about 18,500 words. I need another 1,500 words but I have no idea what I can add that would not be just blatant padding...

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
Bummer, Filigree!

phantom, maybe there's some description you could flesh out? An emotion you could explore deeper? 1.5k is almost a whole scene, but there might be a way you can sprinkle depth/detail throughout to gain up those words.

My agent just submitted my novella to a Tor.com editor directly. Hopefully it gets some attention sooner because the queue isn't moving at all. :)

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Cover letter? Should that be a query type letter or a synopsis pitch? *hasn't done many submissions before and wants to make sure everything is polished*
Eep. Just read this comment by Ruoxi Chen (Tor.com editor) on their "Opening to Novella Submissions" page:

We have no hard and fast rules on cover letters, but I would model it more closely on a novel cover letter, with an eye toward useful comp titles (particularly ones on the Tor.com Publishing list) if they’re relevant.
I know what I'll be doing today!

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I really should consider this one of these days. I'm lucky if I can get a short story to come in under 7000 words. The only real risk for me is that any novella I try to write would likely break the 100K barrier, and then... not exactly a novella at that point...

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I really should consider this one of these days. I'm lucky if I can get a short story to come in under 7000 words. The only real risk for me is that any novella I try to write would likely break the 100K barrier, and then... not exactly a novella at that point...

If I want a novella I usually aim for a novelette. ;)

Aggy, whose recent 35k novella is 50k on first draft

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
If I want a novella I usually aim for a novelette. ;)

Aggy, whose recent 35k novella is 50k on first draft

This.... actually sounds like a strategy that might work for me.

I'll just tell myself I'm writing a longer short story.