Tor.com Opening to Novella Submissions

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Guh, I inadvertently wrote several novellas in the past few months, and I still have nothing to submit. Wha' happened?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Let me just point out that a cover letter (despite what the editor may have said in the comments) doesn't have to contain comps. I think they are encouraging folks to seriously look at the type of work they have been publishing in that imprint (which is, to my observation) a bit different than some of the stuff published by Tor proper.

phantom000

Registered
Reaction score
I have been trying to find more information about their submission guidelines, but i just keep going in circles. Does anyone have a link?

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca

phantom000

Registered
Reaction score

Most publishers usually have a specific format they want you to use, like a certain font at a certain size with a certain paragraph spacing. I would assume Tor.com would also want their submissions in a certain way, but I can't find any information on it.

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Most publishers usually have a specific format they want you to use, like a certain font at a certain size with a certain paragraph spacing. I would assume Tor.com would also want their submissions in a certain way, but I can't find any information on it.
First you have to decide if you're going to format your novella manuscript like a short story, or a novel. From https://www.shunn.net/format/2009/03/proper_novella_format.html

the format you use for a novella would depend on where you're submitting it, and for what purpose. If you're sending it to a magazine or anthology, format it the same as you would a short story. If you're sending it to a book publisher for consideration as a standalone volume, you should format it like you would a novel, with a separate title page.

In short story format for your novella, you would indicate new chapters simply by skipping a line, then centering the chapter header on its own line. In novel format, you could either do it that way or by starting each new chapter on its own page, with the chapter heading centered halfway down the page.

Since you're subbing to a publisher, you're probably going to want to go with novel manuscript format. If the publisher doesn't specify preferences in their guidelines, it's pretty standard to go with William Shunn manuscript format. But use 12 point Times New Roman instead of Courier, and don't underline your italics--just keep them italicized (the latter options are bit old fashioned).

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com

phantom000

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether i should send mine in or not. I've reworked it several times but it hasn't been beta-read and I don't know if its ready or not. I feel like i am going to be waiting six-months just to hear what I already knew...

But i guess what have i got to loose?

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
It is not your job to reject yourself. That's someone else's job. Your job is to send things out. Their job is to make a decision on it.

Look, if I was an editor doing an open call, I would prefer to see everything that people think I might like. That's the point of open calls. If you think there's a chance Tor.com might go for it, submit it. Worst case scenario? They say no. Not exactly the end of the world. Not even remotely the end of your career. In fact, most editors I know have told a story about how they start to notice stories in their submissions, even ones they reject, and observe the development of authors that win them over in time.

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Just read another comment on the Tor.com Opening to Novella Submissions page, regarding their preferences for a cover letter:
We prefer a cover letter structured like a query for a novel, with a brief synopsis, word count, and context for how you think it would fit on our existing list. Do not include it in the body of the manuscript, which should be one double-spaced document in a readable font (preferably Times New Roman.)
I subbed mine this morning. Good luck to everyone!

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
That cover letter info would have been nice to know in the first round lol

Good luck Pasty!! I'm still 43 in queue and subbed in the middle of last window, so they have a LOT to get through still. Buckle in!

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
That cover letter info would have been nice to know in the first round lol

Good luck Pasty!!

Eh, if your agent subbed yours, I suspect a QL won't make a difference (yours is likely already guaranteed a close look). And they DID say they have no hard and fast rules regarding cover letters, so. Anyway, good luck to you, too! *crosses eyestalks* *walks into wall*

I'm still 43 in queue and subbed in the middle of last window, so they have a LOT to get through still. Buckle in!

I'm 500 in the queue. :Wha:

Siwyenbast

Registered
Reaction score
I just submitted "Psycat and the Pie Cutters" after much polishing and back and forth with my beta. I'm 579 in the queue, so I'm going to be patient until I hear either way.

I'm just sitting here, stunned that I actually submitted a piece to one of the biggest imprints of the genre, and I have a chance at getting published should they like it. This is only the second time I've submitted a piece to an imprint (first time was Glimmer Train) so it's an emotional thing for me. Heck, before I started my major work, it was an accomplishment for me to even finish a piece.

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
626 in the queue.

Congrats and best of luck Siwyenbast and everyone else who submitted!

phantom000

Registered
Reaction score
Queue Position: 706

I am not all that optimistic, going over it one last time for grammar made me see some flaws that needed addressing but i did not have time, and the query letter is basically the first i have ever written and i did it all in one day. Still, is it too much to expect at least some constructive criticism?

Siwyenbast

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll. Just checked my position, it looks like a few works have ether been sifted or checked, as it's gone down by about 5. Good luck to everyone who's submitted!

phantom000

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I moved up...1...

I thought the purpose of a query letter is so they can sort through some it more quickly; if they don't like the letter they don't bother reading the rest of it. But even if you are rejected at the letter phase you should still get an e-mail so you can start shopping else where.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Tor is not fast, phantom. They're huge and have a lot going on at any one time. It took me two years to hear back when they closed their novelette call. It was a very nice personal rejection. I doubt they'll let this pile go that long, especially considering the people in the July call were down to the 60s, but expect it to take a few months at least.

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
After the July window, they plowed through a hundred or more submissions within a week, and moved through quickly after that. My CP said they were discarding the "crayon" novellas lol. So I wouldn't be surprised if they sift through this round similarly at some point.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Okay, I have to ask - what would constitute a "crayon" novella? Haven't heard that one before.

Good luck to all of you who submitted. I decided to wait, given I finally figured out how to do the next round of revisions needed.

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
A submission written figuratively in crayon, i.e. amateur and unprofessional (and easy to recognize this right away in the writing quality, unaccepted genre, or other quick disqualifiers).

Last edited: