• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How do I write the Spanish version of Jesus so it sounds properly?

Juggernaut

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a character named Jesus. He is Spanish and his name sounds like "hey zeus" rather than the standard English pronunciation of Jesus.

There is a scene where the situation will not make sense unless it is understood that his name is pronounced "hey zeus".

Is there a writing tool that I can use to make this clear to the user?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Juggernaut

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Spell the character's name correctly. Sometime before the point where the pronunciation becomes important, clarify it in the text, e.g. another character might mispronounce it and be corrected, or someone makes a point of the pronunciation in a conversation, or someone -- the narrator, if necessary -- can simply state that the name is pronounced the Spanish way.

Or else don't make a point of it, and trust your readers to catch on -- they probably will, if you've provided enough context/clues to allow them.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I always thought the Spanish pronunciation of the name Jesus was pretty well-known, as it's a relatively common name.

... of course, Rowling thought the same thing about "Hermione," and we know how that turned out.

Probably the easiest way to clarify pronunciation would be to have someone address him using the wrong version, maybe he's someplace where he would wear a nametag or show his ID. He could either correct the speaker, or simply have a moment of irritation and mentally be like "Ugh, is it really that hard?"

Rowling clarified the "Hermione" pronunciation a couple different ways in the later books. Once she has a foreign exchange student mispronouncing it and Hermione correcting him, and another time the character addressed by someone who has their mouth full of food, which provides an excuse for a phonetic spelling.

I just looked up the quote.
'Oh, c'mon, 'Er-my-knee,' said Ron, accidentally spraying Harry with bits of Yorkshire pudding. 'Oops – sorry, 'Arry –' He swallowed.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... of course, Rowling thought the same thing about "Hermione," and we know how that turned out.

So it's "Her-MY-o-nee" not "Hermy - own?" :Shrug:

Yandiel

Registered
Reaction score
Jésus is the proper spelling. Trust me, I went to Spanish church every Sunday and Wednesday as a kid, I'll never forget ;-P

Juggernaut

Registered
Reaction score
Jésus is the proper spelling. Trust me, I went to Spanish church every Sunday and Wednesday as a kid, I'll never forget ;-P

Yes! Perfect. I forgot about that.
I can also use some of the cues as people mentioned above to make it clear to people.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Juggernaut

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
you could italicize it to indicate clearly that it is from the Spanish.

If it's the name of a character, I think it would NOT be appropriate to italicize it. It's just his name. An accented letter should be sufficient to indicate it's not your standard Anglo Jesus.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Like Jew Ann? :evil

Judging from Lord Byron's rhymes, I think it's pronounced "Jew won."

I want a hero: an uncommon want,
When every year and month sends forth a new one,
Till, after cloying the gazettes with cant,
The age discovers he is not the true one;
Of such as these I should not care to vaunt,
I 'll therefore take our ancient friend Don Juan—
We all have seen him, in the pantomime,
Sent to the devil somewhat ere his time.
Brave men were living before Agamemnon
And since, exceeding valorous and sage,
A good deal like him too, though quite the same none;
But then they shone not on the poet's page,
And so have been forgotten:—I condemn none,
But can't find any in the present age
Fit for my poem (that is, for my new one);
So, as I said, I 'll take my friend Don Juan.

(Excerpts from Don Juan - Canto I)

:roll:

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Just write it as Jesús. It's not that uncommon. Don't italicize it.

I know this because we rescued a pregnant sheep at Christmas time (roughly), and named the ewe Maria and her lamb Hey Zeus, and most people got the reference.

Last edited:

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
Isn't it simpler to say that the character is Spanish? This way, people will know that Spanish pronunciation rules apply. I had never had any problems with spelling (and pronouncing) my always foreign character names. I just mentioned what country they were from.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
As addressed by that cinematic classic Die Hard 3:

Samuel L. Jackson: Why you keep calling me Jésus? I look Puerto Rican to you?

Bruce Willis: Guy back there called you Jésus.

Samuel L. Jackson: He didn’t say Jésus. He said, “Hey, Zeus!” My name is Zeus.

Did I post this just to have an excuse to quote a Die Hard movie... you'll never prove it. The point is that "Jésus" with the accented "E" is the correct presentation. :hi:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's fine if you know what Spanish pronunciation rules are. I wouldn't mentally translate Jesus into the Spanish pronunciation while reading even if I knew the character was Spanish.

Pablo or Marco or Eduardo - yes, but not Jesus.

Jésus is clearest by far.

[Posted by Elenitsa] Isn't it simpler to say that the character is Spanish? This way, people will know that Spanish pronunciation rules apply. I had never had any problems with spelling (and pronouncing) my always foreign character names. I just mentioned what country they were from.

Last edited:

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really confused as to why you all keep saying Jésus would make it clearer that it's a Spanish name, pronunciated in Spanish. Like I'm seriously confused. Unless there's something big I'm missing here, at least in the Spanish version from Spain, Jesus is written and pronunciated like Jesús (Heh-zoos).:Shrug:

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
If I run across a character with the name Jesus in a modern book, I assume it's pronounced the Spanish way. I've run across a large number of people (most often spelled Jesus without an accent) with this name in real life, and not a one has pronounced it the way the Biblical "Jesus" is pronounced in English. I don't think you'd have to explain it, but if someone reads your story and has the wrong pronunciation in mind, will it affect things in any meaningful way? I've read and enjoyed a number of books while mispronouncing many of the character names in my head.

If it's absolutely essential, I suppose you could use an accent over the "e."

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
If it's absolutely essential, I suppose you could use an accent over the "e."

Never. It is standard Español to be rendered "Jesús", with the diacritical accent on the ""u". It is not a matter of option. And I think this pronunciation is so well known today (I previously mentioned "José" as a similar situation) that it shouldn't confuse anybody.

caw

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Never. It is standard Español to be rendered "Jesús", with the diacritical accent on the ""u". It is not a matter of option. And I think this pronunciation is so well known today (I previously mentioned "José" as a similar situation) that it shouldn't confuse anybody.

caw

You're right. It's been a long time since I've seen it spelled with an accent at all, and I forgot where it goes. The thing is, these names are so ubiquitous nowadays that most people will know how they are pronounced without the accents.

Whether or not to include the accent might be an editorial decision that is made after the book is finished, and the manuscript is being prepped for publication.

Last edited:

Emily Patrice

Registered
Reaction score
Bit of a derailment, but I had a similar problem when I wanted to use the name Karel Čapek, the Czech playwright who invented the word robot. I have a character announce that she's naming her toy robot after him.

It's a throwaway line in the book, but it bugged me that most readers would probably say it wrongly in their heads (Čapek is pronounced CHA-peck). It bugged me so much that I cheated and had her call the robot Karel. She never mentions his second name even though she explains the relevance of the robot's name.

Crimson Thorns

Registered
Reaction score
Just write it as Jesús. It's not that uncommon. Don't italicize it.

I know this because we rescued a pregnant sheep at Christmas time (roughly), and named the ewe Maria and her lamb Hey Zeus, and most people got the reference.

Jesús is the correct spelling, though in practical grammar nowadays most people in Spanish speaking countries use accents less and less. But it would definitely work to highlight that it's a foreign version of the word.