• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How to write dialogue interrupted by sound?

Juggernaut

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to write a sentence where someone is speaking and in the middle of their sentence, a sound is heard, but they keep speaking after the sound is heard.

So, say a teacher is teaching a lesson and while he is speaking a student makes a burping sound but he keeps speaking.

So for example:
Teacher spoke, "In today's lession, we are [burp] going to study ancient history."

What is the proper way to write this?

Thanks!
Paul Sterman
Author of Children's Book: Daddy Versus the Squirrels.
www.daddyversus.com

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
There are different ways to approach this, and it's largely a matter of style preferences. The way you did it in the last example makes it look like the teacher is burping, however. You need to attribute the belch in some way.

If I wanted to emphasize that a spoken sentence was interrupted midway, I'd probably do it like this:

The teacher said, "In today's lesson, we are"--someone in the second row burped with the gusto and volume only a teenage boy can manage without vomiting--"going to study ancient history."

You could also write:

The teacher said, "In today's lesson, we are"--Buuuuurrrrp, went Brad--"going to study ancient history."

You could also write something like:

The teacher began, "In today's lesson, we are--"

One of the students burped loudly, but the teacher continued without missing a beat, "going to study ancient history."

Or you could write,

Ignoring a loud belch from the second row, the teacher said, "In today's lesson, we are going to study ancient history."

Juggernaut

Registered
Reaction score
There are different ways to approach this, and it's largely a matter of style preferences. The way you did it in the last example makes it look like the teacher is burping, however. You need to attribute the belch in some way.

If I wanted to emphasize that a spoken sentence was interrupted midway, I'd probably do it like this:

The teacher said, "In today's lesson, we are"--someone in the second row burped with the gusto and volume only a teenage boy can manage without vomiting--"going to study ancient history."

You could also write:

The teacher said, "In today's lesson, we are"--Buuuuurrrrp, went Brad--"going to study ancient history."

You could also write something like:

The teacher began, "In today's lesson, we are--"

One of the students burped loudly, but the teacher continued without missing a beat, "going to study ancient history."

Or you could write,

Ignoring a loud belch from the second row, the teacher said, "In today's lesson, we are going to study ancient history."

Hi Roxxsmom,

That is very helpful. Thanks!

It is a relatively fast paced scene, so I think this example would work nicely for my needs: The teacher said, "In today's lesson, we are"--Buuuuurrrrp, went Brad--"going to study ancient history."

-If it is a sound which is heard over and over again, and from which we are certain of the source, could I eliminate the "went Brad" part? To read as: The teacher said, "In today's lesson, we are"--Buuuuurrrrp--"going to study ancient history."

-Also is it typical convention to use the -- outside the quotes when someone is being interrupted?

Thank you for your time!
Juggernaut

boatman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abargeatlarge.co.uk
Intrigued here.....how does a student's burp compare excitement-wise, with, say, a gun-shot or a thunderclap? Particularly in a fast-paced scene.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Roxxsmom,

That is very helpful. Thanks!

It is a relatively fast paced scene, so I think this example would work nicely for my needs: The teacher said, "In today's lesson, we are"--Buuuuurrrrp, went Brad--"going to study ancient history."

-If it is a sound which is heard over and over again, and from which we are certain of the source, could I eliminate the "went Brad" part? To read as: The teacher said, "In today's lesson, we are"--Buuuuurrrrp--"going to study ancient history."

Yes, if you've already established that Brad is repeatedly burping while the teacher's talking.

-Also is it typical convention to use the -- outside the quotes when someone is being interrupted?

It has to be, because everything inside the quotes is what one character is saying. Anything that isn't part of what they're saying has to be outside the quotes. If you leave the burp inside the quotes it'd read like the teacher burped.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

It's a style choice. I've seen it done with the em-dashes inside the quotemarks. Which is my preferred method.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
It has to be, because everything inside the quotes is what one character is saying. Anything that isn't part of what they're saying has to be outside the quotes. If you leave the burp inside the quotes it'd read like the teacher burped.

I think the OP meant the emdashes, not the burping part. So it would look like "Today we are--" someone emitted a resounding burp, "--going to discuss..." etc.

The emdash indicates an interruption of speech, so to my mind, it fits more logically inside the quotemarks than outside. But as I said, it's a style choice.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Registered
Reaction score
Intrigued here.....how does a student's burp compare excitement-wise, with, say, a gun-shot or a thunderclap? Particularly in a fast-paced scene.

LOL.

It is burping at the speed of sound, perhaps?

The scene is not fast paced, but the dialogue comes regularly and at a continuous medium pace with the sounds coming throughout the scene.
When it is more complete, I will have to post a sample.

Thanks!

boatman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abargeatlarge.co.uk
LOL.

It is burping at the speed of sound, perhaps?

The scene is not fast paced, but the dialogue comes regularly and at a continuous medium pace with the sounds coming throughout the scene.
When it is more complete, I will have to post a sample.

Thanks!

I must bookmark this, I am even more intrigued how you're weaving a series of burps into a story.
Could it be like a magicians slight of hand, drawing us away from a sneaky denouement?
Or the upcoming revelation of your burper has killer halitosis.

Juggernaut

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. Here is a little update. I am still a bit torn as to how to write what I want to write. I have not been able to find any examples of this being done before.
It is sort of crucial for me, since about 15% of the book will have the sound effect listed below - it is a comedy.

1) I will show you the same lines presented in 2 ways. - please let me know which you think accomplishes the goal the best.
2) The situation is that someone is speaking, while someone is off to the side, burping repeatedly
3) The person speaking is not burping, but is having what he says being interrupted repeatedly by the other person burping
4) The goal is to be funny and to have the reader feel interrupted the way the speaker is being interrupted; hence I am very hesitant to just "tell" that the speaker is being interrupted while he speaks, because I think it is much more funny to show it.
5) That being said I don't want it to be too difficult to read.

Example 1:

"I graduated from NYU Medical-" Burp. "School and I did my pathology residency at Weill Cornell Medical Center. I have been working in the city's department of pathology for the past-" Burp. "ten years as the senior pathologist."

Example 2:

"I graduated from NYU Medical-"
Burp.
"School and I did my pathology residency at Weill Cornell Medical Center. I have been working in the city's department of pathology for the past-"
Burp.
"ten years as the senior pathologist."

Last edited:

mpack

Swooping is bad.
Registered
Reaction score

To my understanding, the em-dash inside the quote indicates an actual interruption in speech. The speaker does not continue until the interruption is completed.

An em-dash outside of the quotes suggests the speaker continues speaking during the interrupting sound. The em-dash sets of the simultaneous action.

I would write your example:

"I graduated from NYU Medical" -- Burp -- "School and I did my pathology residency at Weill Cornell Medical Center. I have been working in the city's department of pathology for the past" -- Burp -- "ten years as the senior pathologist."

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was the speaker who was burping.

Juggernaut

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was the speaker who was burping.

Bufty. No, in this case the person speaking is not the person burping - their dialogue is being interrupted by the burping.

When I get enough posts, I will probably post my query letter so people can see what it is really about.

Thanks!

Juggernaut

Registered
Reaction score
I'd brain anyone who consistently interrupted someone with obnoxious burping.

Apropos of nothing. Carry on. :D

LOL. True, but in there story there is a method to this madness, which I hope people will find very funny.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With the understanding that I'm strictly old-school, I'd do it more like Example 2 but differently than it did.

When dialogue is interrupted, it's with an em-dash (or two hyphens) inside the quotation marks. If the person self-interrupts--say the person speaking is the one burping--you continue the dialogue post-interruption in the same paragraph. If the interruption is a sound or action from someone other than the one speaking the interrupted dialogue, you break for a new paragraph. When dialogue is resumed after the interruption, it's with a second emdash inside the quotation marks.

"I graduated from NYU Medical--"
Burp.
"--School and I did my pathology residency at Weill Cornell Medical Center. I have been working in the city's department of pathology for the past--"
Burp.
"--ten years as the senior pathologist."

Maryn, rigid on this and ever so much else