Hello, my name is Krystal!

KrystalDragon

Registered
Reaction score
It's a pleasure to meet all of you!

I started writing when I was 9 years old. I worked on a few short stories during my pre-teen and teen years. Unfortunately, I quit writing while I was in college as I doubted my skills, thus losing interest in the craft. But my creative juices started flowing again and I recently took an interest in writing again. I'm hoping to publish my first book in the near future! However, since I stopped writing for nearly 5 years my skills are quite rusty. So any advice, feedback and criticism would be greatly appreciated!

About myself:
I absolutely love the fantasy genre, especially stories featuring wizards and dragons. The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling was a big part of my childhood and it was the series that gave me an interest in writing. I was also a huge fan of The Last Dragon Chronicles by Chris D'Lacey. In my teenage years I took a liking to the Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony, which heavily influenced my style of juxtaposing two worlds.

Not only do I love reading fantasy, I also love to write fantasy. Specifically, stories for young readers that can be enjoyable for both children and adults. Sometimes I like to change things up and write about a futuristic, sci-fi world.

Along with writing, I'm also a self-taught artist on the side. While I've been drawing for nearly ten years, I don't consider myself a professional by any means as I only started to take art seriously almost 2 years ago. There are still many things I need to improve on. I also enjoy hand-sewing.

I hope to be well acquainted with all of you and possibly make some friends along the way. Perhaps later down the road I could also beta-read for some of you!
Krystal,

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Hey Krystal! It sounds like you're in the exact same situation I was with writing. I took six years off in and after college. Just lost touch with it, didn't get ideas anymore, didn't care. I came back once I got into the workforce and felt empty without something creative to do. The best advice I can give you is to write your book, then put it away and write another. Then write another one. The first book you write when you come back from that much time off is going to look great at first, but as you refresh and improve your skills, it's likely you'll realize that first one was not as good as you thought. I recently went back to my first one after the six year break (had I finished it, I might have tried to sell it) and I realized it was just terrible. My skills were rusty both from the time off and from my last writing experience being as a teenager, but I couldn't see it at time. So welcome back to it, but take your time with it. There's a lot of catching up to do. :) Welcome to AW. Come visit the chat thread (The Mirror Cantina) in SciFi/Fantasy. You'll be in good company.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Krystal. With your skills, you're able to write a great fantasy and illustrate it to boot. Awesome!

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Greetings, Krystal, and best of luck on publishing your novel in the future!

Welcome to AW!

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Krystal and welcome :welcome: Best of luck with your upcoming works.

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! This is the perfect place to brush off that rust and hone your skills! I hope you find what you're looking for here and I hope you have a lot of fun with it!
LOVE Harry Potter! My kid is lucky we didn't name him something from the books (I was vetoed)

CR

Ed8350

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you.

Fantasy is a great genre and when it's good it's SO good. I've dived in and out of the genre over the years (reading it never writing it!) and a buddy of mine has recently finished his first book in that genre! Hats off to you guys because I'd be so overwhelmed but ya know I'm sure you'll meet a lot of good people on here who will be able to help you along the way should you need it. Best of luck!

KrystalDragon

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the introductions, I already feel very welcomed here!

@Maggie Maxwell Thank you for the advice. My first book means a lot to me, so I want it to be presentable. I'll definitely take a look at the Mirror Cantina and chat with fellow sci-fi/fantasy fans!

@The zombies made me Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was the very first novel I read when I was little (My first step out of tiny picture books, and into novels). I could not put the book down! I loved it!

@Ed8350 It really is a great genre. I've been a fan of fantasy since I was a kid and my obsession with dragons never went away. It's also a genre I feel the most comfortable in writing because I love writing about magic, wizards and dragons. Fantasy is very special, and there's almost no rules when it comes to writing about magic. But you still need to remember to make the magic believable without making it seem over powered.

superoze

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Krystal!
Fantasy is amazing and also my favorite genre! Have you read any of Brandon Sanderson's books by any chance?

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
I've read the HP series to my kid every year since he was born! I discover something I'd never realized before with every read! I love that!

Sam Artisan

Held captive by angry blue elves.
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy and writing and art! We have a lot in common :) welcome.