To a Mennonite Lady at the Wheel of a Front Loading Baler

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Hey, I see you there, waiting to merge, a big piece of machinery for a tiny lady:

White bonnet, silver hair, blue dress, sleeves rolled up; one hand on the wheel, the other on the gear shift, all alone, looking to merge.

And you see me, alone, in my redline Avenger, silver hair, blue jeans, stereo blasting "Come & Get Your Love."

Windows open on this lovely April day. No music for you but you seem to like mine.

I zoom left. You merge right. Our eyes meet, we grin. We wave and speed on, as Kansans do when cruising Fifty--

Two farm girls going to town!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Thank you. It was a moment. In the last 5 or so years, our Mennonites have switched from buggies and horses to taking farm implements into town. The religious prohibition on cars and pick ups still must hold but I am only guessing.

Recently I saw a young couple pull into the Home Depot parking lot in Hutchinson. They were as enthusiastic as any young couple looking to some house shopping, holding hands and laughing. They were driving a huge tractor and the young man had to reach up and lift the young woman down. It was both comical and romantic. The lady in the baler made me smile because I pictured her at home, mixing a bowl of something and discovering she was out of vanilla or liquid smoke or pickle relish. she thinks oh, darn, Heber has the tractor. I'll have to take the baler to town.

Justo had it right, just outside of a tiny town called Yoder. Google it. You'll smile. --s6