A Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry Is Opening Near Montreal

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
A Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry Is Opening Near Montreal

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/a-hogwarts-school-of-witchcraft-and-wizardry-is-opening-near-montreal

There has been a recent announcement about Disney opening a theme park in Toronto ( link )
[*], so an Harry Potter-theme event some 500 km away was not that far-fetched.

Okay. What's the catch?

If this had been any other event I would not have bothered to post it. But this is Harry Potter. A book character for Pete's sake. I keep wondering how much money was poured into this. I assume a lot. How many people are expected to attend? The venue is fairly small and this is a one-shot deal. This got me puzzled.

And we're not done with Harry this year. Check this out:

The "Harry Potter" Live Concert Experience Is Coming To Montreal This Spring ( link )

What is going on with Rowling? Is this is also happening in other cities?

-cb

[*] Ha! April Fool's Day!

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the one-time thing might be to see what the demand is like. As to it spreading further, I guess that depends on the number of disused monasteries they can find. (Finding that location might have been key - not having to build a dramatic setting from scratch is probably what makes it feasible.)
I wonder if it was purchased or merely leased, until they see if the project takes off? It could be a heck of an alternative to summer camp!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Last year, Disney spent a lot of money, I think I heard $60+ billion USD, for 21st Century Fox. They've been on a spending spree. Not sure what Disney is doing, if they want another theme park. They bought Marvel Comics, Pixar, and numerous other companies. I wonder if they'll ever offer Rowling a complete buyout of everything Harry Potter, like they did George Lucas and Star Wars.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Last year, Disney spent a lot of money, I think I heard $60+ billion USD, for 21st Century Fox. They've been on a spending spree. Not sure what Disney is doing, if they want another theme park. They bought Marvel Comics, Pixar, and numerous other companies. I wonder if they'll ever offer Rowling a complete buyout of everything Harry Potter, like they did George Lucas and Star Wars.
Not a bad deal, if she's written all she wants to in that world, and is waiting for people to make deals for the properties, why not go for one big buyout? The risk is all Disney's, if something newer and hotter comes along.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Then they'd have to buyout Universal Studios.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they already own Marvel and Star Wars. I'd say they can start buying countries now.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading the Stephen King Dark Tower saga, and I think Disney needs to put together a Dark Tower Theme Park. Have your kids menaced by ravenous giant lobsters that can slice off your fingers, cross the creaky rusted failing railroad bridge without falling to your death, fight off the slimy slow mutants who glow in the dark, enter through the doors to a new world . . .

caw

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Why not? Every year people build increasingly complex 'haunted houses' and people pay money to go through them. Why shouldn't the pros show them how it's done? Disney does have a dark side.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Knott's Berry Farm started doing Knott's Scary Farm decades ago. I think they changed the name to Knott's Halloween Haunt. In the 80s, I went as a kid. I remember they had a lot of tall and scary looking guys and gals in full halloween regalia. They carried cans with a stone or metal ball in each. They'd walk around the park. When they saw you not pay attention, they'd shake the cans and look menacing. Great fun. Disney does a Halloween thing, but mostly decoration (pumpkins, Jack Skelton, etc.). With Star Wars Land, I'm not sure Disney has the real estate for a Haunted House, or has the desire to scare little kids or those who do not want to be scared.

Last edited:

Sam Artisan

Held captive by angry blue elves.
Registered
Reaction score
Frick man I'd want to visit that

*helplessly shoves more money at J.K. Rowling*

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure Disney has the real estate for a Haunted House, or has the desire to scare little kids or those who do not want to be scared.
That's why you make it a separate, clearly marked, land. And, put something big'n'scary right at the front, so people don't get in too deep before they understand how bad it might get. Not for everyone, but something for the more adventurous.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading the Stephen King Dark Tower saga, and I think Disney needs to put together a Dark Tower Theme Park. Have your kids menaced by ravenous giant lobsters that can slice off your fingers, cross the creaky rusted failing railroad bridge without falling to your death, fight off the slimy slow mutants who glow in the dark, enter through the doors to a new world . . .

caw

You didn't mention the choo-choo ride.