New Blood from the Hoosier State

thesound88

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! My name is Austin and I am a writer, teacher, and podcaster from Indiana. I am currently working on two major projects: edits for my first novel and an anthology short fiction podcast that I produce with my wife and our friends.

I primarily write long-form speculative fiction, but I have crossed into short-form literary fiction, personal essays, magic realism, and young adult. The novel I am working on is a paranormal thriller set in a small town in Indiana that I modeled after my home town (start with what you know, I suppose!). My goal is to use this summer to do major edits and rewrites and begin querying agents in August.

I tend to read what I crave in the moment, and those cravings don't follow any sort of pattern (other than maybe lunar cycles). Often, I bounce between fantasy, mystery, literary, and horror, not necessarily in that order.

I have been writing since I could hold a pencil and make legible marks, but there has been an enormous gap in my creative writing. I wrote stories constantly as a kid, and I'm sure my parents still have some of my most poignant scribblings scrapbooked somewhere. But in high school, I became obsessed with reading and writing about what I read. I carried this through college and, after getting my BA in English Literature, went on to get an MA in English Literature. I wrote a lot, just not creatively. I began this novel a year ago, and it is the first extended piece of fiction I've worked on since I was 12.

Outside of writing, I enjoy gaming (tabletop and video games), baking, and the Irish sport hurling. I've recently succumbed to the world of podcasting, which has been one of the most creatively challenging and rejuvenating things I've done in my life, but it has allowed me to look at fiction in a new way and have meaningful conversations about writing, editing, and publishing with some fascinating people.

I look forward to engaging with all of you. If there is one thing I've learned this past year, it is that creativity thrives in a community.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It’s good to meet you, Austin! Sounds like you have a lot of projects going on. Good luck with it all, and welcome to AW!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a fondness for Hoosiers, having married a Kokomo lad. Welcome!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW Austin. Good luck with your paranormal thriller.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Hi Austin, welcome to AW!
A paranormal thriller set in a small town modelled after your home town sounds pretty good to me and I'm better it will feel incredibly authentic and real because of it :) Good luck with the edits and then sending it out to agents.

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! Welcome to AW! I hope you find all the help you need to publish your first novel here!

Ed8350

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Austin. That all sounds really interesting. I'd probably freak out if I had so many projects to keep me busy!! Good on you for getting back into your creative writing and see you around on the boards.

KBaum1608

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Austin, from a fellow Indianan! There are so many creepy small towns here to choose from.