Hi, I'm Germ!

The Germ

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I am Germ, and I'm from Denver.

I've been writing since my mom blew my mind at the innocent age of nine with the revelation that real people write books and I can do it too. Wow! I became obsessed.

Sadly, I grew up and somebody tricked me into climbing corporate ladders. Suddenly I was in my thirties, finding myself as off-track as the first draft I'd abandoned in my twenties.

But! I quit the job, and I'm ready to get serious! I write urban fantasy with a dash of horror and a whole lot of tragedy, influenced heavily by authors like Robin Hobb, Christopher Barzak, and Stephen King. I've had some flash fiction published, and I'm currently at work on hopefully the first novel I won't abandon at 75%.

Procrastination activities include mainly, uh, video games. And refreshing social networks.

I'm here mainly because I miss a good old fashioned forum. Let's be real here: Facebook groups just don't have the same charm. I look forward to making new friends, and learning as much as I can!

Nice to meet you!

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations, Germ! Congratulations of the shift to serious writing! I wish you the best of luck! -CR

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Good luck on completing the novel, Germ!

Welcome to AW!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Germ, nice to meet you. Good luck with your novel.:welcome:

JessEmMcKeown

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you, Germ! What a bold (and awesome) move taking on your novel wholeheartedly. Good luck!

Yandiel

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Germ!!

We have quite a bit in common here.. I am also new, and in my 30s. And I also mostly write fantasy with a touch of horror and suspense.

A pleasure to meet you!1

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Good to meet you, Germ. And there's nowt wrong with games and social sites, even better if you mix games with... Markiplier and Jacksepticeye. :snoopy:

LuaVerena

Creative Creature
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Germ! I love the sound of your work, I've always had a big soft spot for works with an element of horror or tragedy. What kind of games do you enjoy playing? I mostly play single player roguelikes or strategies like Darkest Dungeon or Xcom, but I do like to dabble in Civ 5 and Overwatch. You can get that novel done, have faith! If you ever want a beta reader for it, give me a message :)

The Germ

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is so nice! Thank you for the warm welcome.

Welcome Germ!!

We have quite a bit in common here.. I am also new, and in my 30s. And I also mostly write fantasy with a touch of horror and suspense.

A pleasure to meet you!1

Sounds like your writing is right up my alley! Look forward to seeing you around. :)

Hi Germ! I love the sound of your work, I've always had a big soft spot for works with an element of horror or tragedy. What kind of games do you enjoy playing? I mostly play single player roguelikes or strategies like Darkest Dungeon or Xcom, but I do like to dabble in Civ 5 and Overwatch. You can get that novel done, have faith! If you ever want a beta reader for it, give me a message :)

The more time gulping the video game, the more likely I am to love it. Civilization. There are never enough turns. Final Fantasy XI/XIV (the MMORPGs) have robbed me of my soul. The Sims. Right now I'm hooked on Cities Skylines. Of course, I love a game with a good story too. Chrono Trigger, Silent Hill, Uncharted... I could go on forever.

I hope there's video game chatter here, because I'm all about it!

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
The more time gulping the video game, the more likely I am to love it. Civilization. There are never enough turns. Final Fantasy XI/XIV (the MMORPGs) have robbed me of my soul. The Sims. Right now I'm hooked on Cities Skylines. Of course, I love a game with a good story too. Chrono Trigger, Silent Hill, Uncharted... I could go on forever.

I love the Sims! I'd love to game more but Sims gets me through. Too many interruptions so I just play what I can easily walk away from without losing progress or having to find a save point.

Do you like zombies? I noticed you responded to Yandiel about fantasy with hints of horror/suspense.

The Germ

Registered
Reaction score
Do you like zombies? I noticed you responded to Yandiel about fantasy with hints of horror/suspense.

I don't like them. D:

I don't know what it is. I have a strong revulsion to images of decaying/dead bodies, so realistic zombies super freak me out. Like Walking Dead - I can't watch that show at all. The White Walkers in Game of Thrones are the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. I'm more of a ghost/haunting kind of guy.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Hi Germ,
Welcome to AW :)

Urban fantasy with a dash of horror sounds good to me, especially influenced by influenced heavily by authors like Robin Hobb, Christopher Barzak, and Stephen King. Good luck finishing it and getting it out into the world.

Games are so tempting when you are writing on the computer, dang things! But sometimes it's good to delve into other worlds and explore visually.

Ed8350

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Germ. Welcome. I like the sound of your style! I'm a big Stevie King fan too. A fellow Dark Tower fan I hope?

All the best with your work and see you around the boards.

The Germ

Registered
Reaction score
Jeez dude. You don't know if this writing thing is going to be enough to support you financially, but good luck.

I appreciate the concern, but it was just a career change. I have another job in a different field, much less stressful and soul consuming. :)

A fellow Dark Tower fan I hope?

I'm working my way to it! I started King with Dark Tower and just didn't get it (hated it), so I set it aside to work on the rest of his works so I can approach it again with a better appreciation for it.

Last edited:

Ed8350

Registered
Reaction score
Well that way you will get a lot more out of the series if you've read a lot of his work. Loads of winks and nods to his previous books. What did you think of last years "IT" movie?

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
I don't like them. D:

I don't know what it is. I have a strong revulsion to images of decaying/dead bodies, so realistic zombies super freak me out. Like Walking Dead - I can't watch that show at all. The White Walkers in Game of Thrones are the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. I'm more of a ghost/haunting kind of guy.

Lol I get it. I've never seen Walking Dead. I have a tiny human who owns the tv so no adult tv/movies for me. I love ghost/haunting stuff so long as it's not like the devil possessing people.

JessEmMcKeown

Registered
Reaction score

Sounds like your writing is right up my alley! Look forward to seeing you around. :)

I game super often myself! The Sims is definitely addictive and one of my favorites. I tend to lean more toward PVP since I'm pretty competitive (even though most of the time I am awful). So PUBG and Dead By Daylight are two games I really enjoy.

PNW_Michelle

Registered
Reaction score
I don't like them. D:

Germ, I'm with you on Zombies. They are SO GROSS and they freak me out. I can't watch anything with zombies - even FUNNY zombie movies give me the heebie jeebies. Except, for some reason, I devoured all of Carrie Ryan's zombie novels. But they still gave me freaky dreams. So yeah. NO ZOMBIES. I do love a good ghost story though. Also welcome from another newbie!

EDITED TO ADD: I once knitted a zombie bunny (zombunny!) because I thought it would be amusing. I had to give it away.

Last edited:

MelMerj

Melanie
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Germ,
Welcome! I love zombie anything. I just always think “would I survive this?”. Most of the time it’s a resounding NO. Haha Happy writing to you!

inksplatter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I am Germ, and I'm from Denver.

I've been writing since my mom blew my mind at the innocent age of nine with the revelation that real people write books and I can do it too. Wow! I became obsessed.

Sadly, I grew up and somebody tricked me into climbing corporate ladders. Suddenly I was in my thirties, finding myself as off-track as the first draft I'd abandoned in my twenties.

But! I quit the job, and I'm ready to get serious! I write urban fantasy with a dash of horror and a whole lot of tragedy, influenced heavily by authors like Robin Hobb, Christopher Barzak, and Stephen King. I've had some flash fiction published, and I'm currently at work on hopefully the first novel I won't abandon at 75%.

Procrastination activities include mainly, uh, video games. And refreshing social networks.

I'm here mainly because I miss a good old fashioned forum. Let's be real here: Facebook groups just don't have the same charm. I look forward to making new friends, and learning as much as I can!

Nice to meet you!

Hey there, welcome. I'm also new. I also had the same revelation when I was younger. One of my elementary classes had a little corner for books, and I decided that I'd like to write one and have it placed there as well.

But yes, life does get in the way. :( Writing is an investment, and sometimes the payoff isn't always tangible or worth it. My parents still see it as an indulgence and maybe it is, but it's strangely therapeutic for me - it gets rid of my stress, so I still write.