• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Advice on Show vs Tell - the journey begins

Yandiel

Registered
Reaction score
First off, hi to everyone :) This will be my first post.

Many beta readers who have critiqued the first chapter to my current project have expressed my bad habit of "telling" not "showing". I have recently come back to my writing after taking a few years break from it and I had not realized just how much I was "telling". So I came across this video, a kind writer sent to me, explaining the Pyramid of Abstraction. For anyone interested here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm6h4Oa0jM0. I personally find this Pyramid of Abstraction confusing. I think when I am done writing this post I will re-watch the video to write down the examples he gives to better the craft - maybe I take visual learner to the next level here. I was also given the recommendation to improv and act as if i am the character, to get a better grasp and understanding of the characters. Anyways, I have come to the realization that I am having quite a hard time "showing" the story, in a general sense, as I was unaware of "telling" the reader my story. To be honest, I am puling my hair out with it :cry:

Where I believe I struggle the most, is that in fantasy, how can we "show" elements of a story where the reader has no idea exists until you "tell" them? For example, in my first chapter, I have a princess, who visits the palace gardens and is approached by a woman. Now, to add a sense of mystery, I purposely omit who she is, her history, her name, because she is mysterious not only to the main character but to the reader. I'd have to show the scene without giving off too much information about who she is. So, ok i don't have too much an issue with this. Where I struggle, would be more in the main character's physical description because she is an alien and looks different to us but it is more than normal for her. Later in chapter two, I realized I had two paragraphs of back story that are detrimental to the plot full of "tellings" because I did not want to get into a flash back which is not recommended to do in the beginning of a story.

Yea, I know, this is a bit of a rant hahaha! But I was curious how some other writers, such as yourselves, tackle your own show vs tells, and how you overcome them. maybe any resources or strategies you use to help you along, like for example the Pyramid of Abstraction?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Show versus tell is not very useful advice IMO. By the time you wrap your head around it, you likely won't be doing it anyway, if that makes sense. There's also nothing wrong with tell, per se; sometimes it is appropriate.

Emotional Craft of Fiction has a good section on show and tell techniques and when each is appropriate. If you prefer a free article, Emma Darwin's 'Itch of Writing' blog has some good advice too.

I would post an excerpt when you get enough as it will probably be impossible to say anything helpful if we're all working to vague descriptions.

That said, in regards ti aliens, I would simply describe them. Not a laundry list or anything but readers do default to able bodied Caucasians and if your character doesn't look like that, it's important to get the description in early. (Not necessarily all of it, but at the very least find a way to convey she isn't human). If there are humans in your setting, introducing one early in as a point of contrast could be one way to do it (just as an example).

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tell: "It was a dark and stormy night."

Show: "Lightning flashed across the ebony skies."

It really is that simple.

Jeff

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
But as another example,

Tell: Grace grew up in a rough neighborhood.

Show: 10 chapters of Grace's backstory prior to the story starting :tongue

Or, also Show: Lots of subtle details need to be injected into Grace's mannerisms. Eg phobias, fears, irrational behaviours, learned behaviours, speech patterns, tics, flaws, faults... to reflect her back ground.

But the tell could work too.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Yandiel, it might be a good idea to put up a clear note that the video in the link is a Brandon Sanderson lecture and is over an hour long. Not everyone has a good enough internet connection to play it, so a description would be courteous.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I think the show-don't-tell mantra is taken far too seriously, particularly when considered in isolation rather than as just another element of writing.

On the surface it sounds like good advice, but often it is simpler and more effective to tell the reader something they need to know than construct a convoluted way of showing them the same thing. If you have a choice between showing and telling, it's a case of using the most appropriate method for the writing at hand, rather feeling compelled to show.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
OP, one of the best ways to figure out this sort of thing - especially in SF/F - is to read (or reread) how others have handled similar situations, then try to figure out how it worked (or failed to work) for you. There is no magic formula, and there's a certain amount of subjectivity involved, but the one absolute rule is that you don't want the reader to stop reading. A bored reader stops reading - and long infodumps and strings of descriptors can be boring. An insulted reader stops reading - overexplaining your world and characters can insult their intelligence. A confused reader stops reading - too much dancing, as well as too little idea of what's going on, can be confusing. (Unfortunately, the line on where a reader stops reading varies by reader, and even in a given reader can vary by genre, or mood, or numerous other factors.)

Have you read books with nonhuman main characters? Have you read books where mysterious characters have been introduced without letting the cat out of the bag about who/what they are? Have you read a book that made you stop reading... or one that kept you glued to the page? Reread with a critical eye. You'd be surprised how just a few key details and ideas can convey a vivid impression... or how the omission (or overabundance) of certain details and ideas creates impenetrable, uninteresting murk.

I agree with others that many efforts to explain the "show vs tell" concept fall flat, or get overly convoluted, or otherwise overload students with contradictory, overwhelming rules or guidelines or don'ts/do's that five minutes' perusal of the bookshelves can "debunk." Learn what you can, but don't feel bound by anyone else's lessons or systems, especially if you can't understand the reasoning behind them; there's often a reason, and the reason often makes sense if you think about it, but don't take that reason as an absolute, in-all-cases rule, especially if it doesn't ring true to how you think and how you write.

If you're struggling with describing alien characters, you might take a look at Orson Scott Card's Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction. It has some good advice on how not to overexplain your world to your readers, how a little really can go a long way. (The author's personal politics grate on me, but the man does know his SF/F writing, and this book is still about the best one I own on genre writing.)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Warning, opinionated responses follow based on my experience in my own writer's journey:

... my bad habit of "telling" not "showing".
Unless you've been writing for ages and you still 'tell' too much, it's not a habit, it's a concept most writers need to learn in the beginning stages of becoming a fiction writer.

...[Snipped. Videos don't do it for me, I'm too impatient. But if they work for you or anyone else, go for it.] ...
I prefer the statement, 'show more, tell less'. It stops some of those forum arguments about 'rules'.

The way you do it is take the time to learn. You have to invest time and effort in learning.

My first critique group feedback was 'show don't tell'. I thought similar things, how do you show this? Turns out you can learn that. I went to the library and checked out a dozen 'how to write' books, took them home and read through the show more, tell less sections. If the advice was helpful, that book went in one pile and if it wasn't the book went into the return to the library pile.

You read examples, you pay attention to how other writers do it in the books you are reading. You are reading books, right? ;)The more interested you get into learning how to write, the more you love to read if you weren't already addicted to reading.

You work on your own stuff, you get more feedback, and you keep practicing. Just like any skill, writing can be learned and for those of us who did not arrive at this place with the incredible talent we see in other people, that means study and practice.

Tell: "It was a dark and stormy night."

Show: "Lightning flashed across the ebony skies."

It really is that simple.

Jeff
Good example.

Another example:
Tell: Grace grew up in a rough neighborhood.

Show: 10 chapters of Grace's backstory prior to the story starting :tongueOr, also Show: Lots of subtle details need to be injected into Grace's mannerisms. Eg phobias, fears, irrational behaviours, learned behaviours, speech patterns, tics, flaws, faults... to reflect her back ground.

But the tell could work too.
This is why I say show more, tell less. It's not very engaging to tell me the character grew up in a rough neighborhood. And obviously ten chapters of backstory is unnecessary and likely just as boring.

"Don't fuck with me, Asshole," Grace said, inching closer to the door. "You wouldn't last ten minutes in the neighborhood I grew up in." I learned a good bluff there, anyway, she thought.​

I think the show-don't-tell mantra is taken far too seriously, particularly when considered in isolation rather than as just another element of writing.

On the surface it sounds like good advice, but often it is simpler and more effective to tell the reader something they need to know than construct a convoluted way of showing them the same thing. If you have a choice between showing and telling, it's a case of using the most appropriate method for the writing at hand, rather feeling compelled to show.
I take it very seriously. Once you've mastered the skill, then you can move on to the next writing lesson. It's a mark of a new writer. Nothing wrong with that, but telling people they needn't be concerned when the critique they've gotten suggests more showing is called for might not get them past this point in their skills acquisition.

At first I had lots of trouble and needed folks to give me examples. Once you've been here longer, Yandiel, you can post sections you are having trouble showing in the SYW forum and people will post helpful examples.

Last edited:

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I take it very seriously. Once you've mastered the skill, then you can move on to the next writing lesson. It's a mark of a new writer. Nothing wrong with that, but telling people they needn't be concerned when the critique they've gotten suggests more showing is called for might not get them past this point in their skills acquisition.

I don't see it as a skill. To me it's simply a storytelling choice.

It takes skill (or luck) to make the right choice in a given situation, which of course takes time and writing experience, but a simplistic one size fits all writing opinion such as show-don't-tell is very misleading and confusing, and does not take into account pacing, story content and all the other individual requirements of your WIP.

A more realistic writing opinion would say, show-or-tell.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see it as a skill. To me it's simply a storytelling choice.

It takes skill (or luck) to make the right choice in a given situation, which of course takes time and writing experience, but a simplistic one size fits all writing opinion such as show-don't-tell is very misleading and confusing, and does not take into account pacing, story content and all the other individual requirements of your WIP.

A more realistic writing opinion would say, show-or-tell.
Did you notice this in the OP:
Anyways, I have come to the realization that I am having quite a hard time "showing" the story, in a general sense, as I was unaware of "telling" the reader my story. To be honest, I am puling my hair out with it.

It's possible you learned the skill long ago, or maybe it came naturally to you. But like I said, my responses are based on my experience in my own writer's journey.

I've read more than a few threads debating show vs tell. I admit I don't understand the POV of folks who don't recognize how a newbie might need to learn showing vs telling.

I'm just sharing the insight I gained. New writers tell stories. It's how we naturally communicate verbally. So when new writers start writing, they naturally tell the story. Some of us, not everyone I suppose, have to to learn how to show. After that, then yes one uses a mix of showing and telling.

ikennedy

Registered
Reaction score
Telling definitely has its place. All that "you have to show not tell" is a bit silly. Sometimes the best way to explain something is to tell. It's efficient and can be very effective. But as well as this you have to remember that too much of it can get boring. Therefore a healthy balance of showing with combining a bit of telling to move the story along sharply works wonders.
By all means tell certain parts, but also show a lot of the time to add emotion and immerse the reader in the world

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
Did you notice this in the OP:

It's possible you learned the skill long ago, or maybe it came naturally to you. But like I said, my responses are based on my experience in my own writer's journey.

I've read more than a few threads debating show vs tell. I admit I don't understand the POV of folks who don't recognize how a newbie might need to learn showing vs telling.

I'm just sharing the insight I gained. New writers tell stories. It's how we naturally communicate verbally. So when new writers start writing, they naturally tell the story. Some of us, not everyone I suppose, have to to learn how to show. After that, then yes one uses a mix of showing and telling.

My responses are based on my experiences, too, and from interactions with a large number of new writers. We're all giving opinions here.

My thoughts are that telling and showing are things that writers learn along the way by trial and error and slogan-type 'advice' is actually counter productive. Writers are bombarded by instructions; you must to this, you can't do that. All nonsense, and like show-don't-tell, an opinion unfortunately often taken as gospel.

The real message, in my opinion, is that there are times to show and times to tell, and writing experience will reveal how to work out which to use in a given situation. It has to come from within, not without, by laborious practice without relying on short cut, meaningless sound bite advice.

You said it yourself: "Some of us, not everyone I suppose, have to learn how to show." I would only add 'for ourselves' after 'learn.'

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts are that telling and showing are things that writers learn along the way by trial and error and slogan-type 'advice' is actually counter productive. Writers are bombarded by instructions; you must to this, you can't do that. All nonsense, and like show-don't-tell, an opinion unfortunately often taken as gospel.

The real message, in my opinion, is that there are times to show and times to tell, and writing experience will reveal how to work out which to use in a given situation. It has to come from within, not without, by laborious practice without relying on short cut, meaningless sound bite advice.
I agree this is part of the problem. Instead of recognizing some new writers do need to learn 'showing' skills, people hear the messages you rightly object to:

slogan-type 'advice' is actually counter productive
And when it is presented as a slogan, I agree. This is one of the things that turns people off when it comes to the show more, tell less advice.

I agree, it shouldn't be presented this way.

And this is another issue with show, don't tell where I completely agree with you:
you must to this, you can't do that.
As soon as it sounds like a rule is being declared, the arguments start flying. Debates ensue like: just what is telling and what is showing? There are dozens of examples that are ambiguous.

And sometimes critique is erroneously given as if the list of rules (show, don't tell, no prologues, no flashbacks, don't open with the weather, etc.) should always be addressed. That leads to the recitation that rules are only guidelines.

That's why I try to point out showing is a skill. Most of us can 'tell'. Not everyone picks up showing naturally, some of us have to learn it. New writers in particular tell more and show less. New writers need to learn a lot of skills. Writing skill is not something you have to be born with.

And to learn writing, skills need to be described. Slogans are not often meaningful descriptions. Describing that, telling is how we learned to tell stories verbally, helps people conceptualize the problem. You don't learn 'showing' from slogans. You don't learn it when the slogan is dismissed. And you don't learn the skill when people tell you, you don't need to.

Why new writers need to learn the skill and the means of learning it is what I'm trying to describe.

Your points are also important, labeling it a slogan and insisting it is a rule are important negative issues to be described as well.

Last edited:

Yandiel

Registered
Reaction score
Unless you've been writing for ages and you still 'tell' too much, it's not a habit, it's a concept most writers need to learn in the beginning stages of becoming a fiction writer.

I completely agree with you... and not only that, but you have explained exactly what is going on in my situation!! Though I would like to clarify something here, some writers, such as myself, aren't necessarily newbie writers, we've been writing for many years and are more-or-less "unpolished". I never went to college for 'creative writing' nor have I ever pursued writing as anything other than a hobby. I think after taking a break from writing I have wanted to return to it because I miss it. And when I returned I came to a a total world reorganization into the realm of "show-don't-tell". I'll tell you, I am most influenced by many writers who are also "tellers", it is through them I learned to write. For example, one of my favorite stories of all time, "The Little Mermaid" begins as:

Far out in the ocean, where the water is as blue as the prettiest cornflower, and as clear as crystal, it is very, very deep; so deep, indeed, that no cable could fathom it: many church steeples, piled one upon another, would not reach from the ground beneath to the surface of the water above...

And then we take a look at a more modern day fairy tale, I'll use 'The Maze Runner":

He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air. Metal ground against metal; a lurching shudder shook the floor beneath him...

You can see when a writer puts out an excerpt of their story which types of stories they are most influenced by and which elements they so chose to show us.

Now, it wasn't until just recently that I realized this debate of "show-don't-tell", so, I take it if I continue digging through my stash of old stories and novels, I will find more "tell" stories than "show" stories. The "show" element is something I definitely need to teach myself, because I do not want to bore the reader.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you had a habit of telling, then of course more of your earlier stories will be telling oriented. That's true of most beginners' tales.

As far as I'm concerned both quoted extracts 'show' more than 'tell'. And The Little Mermaid is almost two hundred years old.

Most writers use both show and tell. Experience helps decide when to use which.

Not sure what this means -
You can see when a writer puts out an excerpt of their story which types of stories they are most influenced by and which elements they so chose to show us.

Ooooops- and Welcome, Yandiel :welcome: I had another post drafted but it's been overtaken by events. :snoopy:

Last edited:

Yandiel

Registered
Reaction score
I went digging through some more of my stash hahaha! Here's another book I loved, "Memoirs of a Geisha":

Suppose that you and I were sitting in a quiet room overlooking a garden, chatting and sipping at our cups of green tea while we talked about something that had happened a long time ago, and I said to you "That afternoon when I met so-and-so...

And one of my favorite all time stories ever by Edgar Allan Poe, "The Murders in the Rue Morgue":

Paris! In Paris it was, in the summer of 1840. There I first met that strange and interesting young fellow, August Dupin. Dupin was the last member of a well-known family, a family which had once been rich and famous; he himself, however, was far from rich...

"Ozma of Oz", though, I think started taking a different direction:

The wind blew hard and joggled the water of the ocean, sending ripples across its surface. Then the wind pushed the edges of the ripples until they became waves, and shoved the waves around until they became billows...

Though in chapter two, "The Yellow Hen", L. Frank Baum goes back into "tell":

A strange noise awoke Dorothy, who opened her eyes to find that day had dawned and the sun was shinning brightly in a clear sky...

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Yes, fairytales like the Little Mermaid are almost 100% tell, but unless you are writing a fairytale, that isn't a useful template.

Lots of people haven't taken creative writing courses, and you can absolutely still be a beginner even after years :p I am still a beginner IMO. My dad is still a beginner, at 59. (I am talking about in terms of where we are, craftwise.) I am sure I have many years left of beginnership.

Yandiel

Registered
Reaction score
If you had a habit of telling, then of course more of your earlier stories will be telling oriented. That's true of most beginners' tales.

As far as I'm concerned both quoted extracts 'show' more than 'tell'. And The Little Mermaid is almost two hundred years old.

Most writers use both show and tell. Experience helps decide when to use which.

Not sure what this means -

Ooooops- and Welcome, Yandiel :welcome: I had another post drafted but it's been overtaken by events. :snoopy:

Exactly! Well, from the looks of it I can not exactly see all the differences yet hahahaha!!:D Mabe someday soon I'll figure it out. I think I'll have to reread some of my drafts, most of them are in the template of Edgar Allan Poe because I have always been fascinated by him, I think I have taken a piece of his style into every writing piece I do.

And thank you. And the best of luck on your draft!!

Yes, fairytales like the Little Mermaid are almost 100% tell, but unless you are writing a fairytale, that isn't a useful template.

Lots of people haven't taken creative writing courses, and you can absolutely still be a beginner even after years :p I am still a beginner IMO. My dad is still a beginner, at 59. (I am talking about in terms of where we are, craftwise.) I am sure I have many years left of beginnership.

Well then we'll be beginners together, how about that ;) :hooray:

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It either helps or it doesn't. :Shrug:

This ‘show don't tell’ issue is frequently raised and there are many helpful threads on it here already. Find them by using the Site Specific Google search box at the bottom left of this page. Simply enter -Show don't tell- in the box and you will be given stacks of links to threads on Absolute Write that have already dealt with or touched upon this topic. The higher the reference no. the more recent the post.

Post #3 is basically the distinction between showing and telling, but the application is a little trickier and sometimes takes time to grasp. Having a strong POV often helps restrict telling.

It's something we all struggle with at some point - both 'show' and 'tell' have their uses. It is usually better to show rather than to tell, but there's nothing wrong with telling per se.

‘Showing’ tends to give the reader a better experience of involvement because he can imagine himself experiencing what the character is experiencing. If the POV is strong the narrative will tend to be showing oriented.

A lot of it has to do with understanding the power of POV and choosing the correct POV for the story.

And as it unfolds there are times when there is no need to dwell on something for any longer than it takes for the reader to be aware of it. Is that 'something' important story-wise and/or relevant enough to be noticed by the POV character - and covered in more detail- (shown - as experienced by the POV character), or is it something that is not of particular relevance and can simply be mentioned and passed by (told - only the facts, ma'am)?

In the final analysis it's the writer's choice whether to show or tell.

Both are perfectly valid tools.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Yandiel

Registered
Reaction score
It either helps or it doesn't. :Shrug:

This ‘show don't tell’ issue is frequently raised and there are many helpful threads on it here already. Find them by using the Site Specific Google search box at the bottom left of this page. Simply enter -Show don't tell- in the box and you will be given stacks of links to threads on Absolute Write that have already dealt with or touched upon this topic. The higher the reference no. the more recent the post.

I have seen a few here and there. I think, after I got critiqued the way I did for one of my chapters for being too "telly" I needed to vent and get it off my shoulders. I hadn't realized how much of an issue it was and I definitely want to be able to conform to the norm.

Post #3 is basically the distinction between showing and telling, but the application is a little trickier and sometimes takes time to grasp. Having a strong POV often helps restrict telling.

It's something we all struggle with at some point - both 'show' and 'tell' have their uses. It is usually better to show rather than to tell, but there's nothing wrong with telling per se.

‘Showing’ tends to give the reader a better experience of involvement because he can imagine himself experiencing what the character is experiencing. If the POV is strong the narrative will tend to be showing oriented.

A lot of it has to do with understanding the power of POV and choosing the correct POV for the story.

And as it unfolds there are times when there is no need to dwell on something for any longer than it takes for the reader to be aware of it. Is that 'something' important story-wise and/or relevant enough to be noticed by the POV character - and covered in more detail- (shown - as experienced by the POV character), or is it something that is not of particular relevance and can simply be mentioned and passed by (told - only the facts, ma'am)?

In the final analysis it's the writer's choice whether to show or tell.

Both are perfectly valid tools.

Good luck.

Great advice on the matter!! I think some genres are easier than others too when it comes to show-don't-tell. In suspense or thrillers it is much easier to "show", at least in my opinion, because you have to elude to mystery, to the heebie jeebies and goosebumps. But in fantasy, which is a genre I tend to fall under, the stories I have been used to are more 'tellers" and I am more apt to imitate that. That is a hard habit to break! Like smoking cigarettes :ROFL:

Someone else on this thread, I believe Maeze, gave some great pointers too about knowing exactly when to use the elements of show or tell. When I was referencing some of the stories in my stash, you could see how with some aspects the author told an element, and in others the author showed us. It definitely takes experience, as you've mentioned, to pick up on which one to use and where.

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any story - including or especially fantasy - will benefit from a strong POV to pull the reader in, be it a single or multiple POV tale. Even omniscience has a POV - the omniscient narrator.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest reading as a method of learning the balance between showing and telling. Read books by successful and respected authors - lather, rinse, and repeat until you can mimic the rhythm they use.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I agree this is part of the problem. Instead of recognizing some new writers do need to learn 'showing' skills, people hear the messages you rightly object to:

And when it is presented as a slogan, I agree. This is one of the things that turns people off when it comes to the show more, tell less advice.

I agree, it shouldn't be presented this way.

And this is another issue with show, don't tell where I completely agree with you: As soon as it sounds like a rule is being declared, the arguments start flying. Debates ensue like: just what is telling and what is showing? There are dozens of examples that are ambiguous.

And sometimes critique is erroneously given as if the list of rules (show, don't tell, no prologues, no flashbacks, don't open with the weather, etc.) should always be addressed. That leads to the recitation that rules are only guidelines.

That's why I try to point out showing is a skill. Most of us can 'tell'. Not everyone picks up showing naturally, some of us have to learn it. New writers in particular tell more and show less. New writers need to learn a lot of skills. Writing skill is not something you have to be born with.

And to learn writing, skills need to be described. Slogans are not often meaningful descriptions. Describing that, telling is how we learned to tell stories verbally, helps people conceptualize the problem. You don't learn 'showing' from slogans. You don't learn it when the slogan is dismissed. And you don't learn the skill when people tell you, you don't need to.

Why new writers need to learn the skill and the means of learning it is what I'm trying to describe.

Your points are also important, labeling it a slogan and insisting it is a rule are important negative issues to be described as well.

Agreed.

My formative writing years were before the internet and I didn't have the option (or ease) of asking all my questions. I had zero writing experience (just an urge to write), I didn't know any other writers and relied on my seamail subscription to Writing Digest to give me some idea of what I was doing. The only way I could work something out was to write multiple versions of my stories until gut instinct told me I'd got it 'right.'

This led me to the conclusion that the best writers are the ones who make the most mistakes (I'm still on that journey!) and avoiding or obeying writing 'advice' without testing it means writers can miss out on essential learning experiences.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest reading as a method of learning the balance between showing and telling. Read books by successful and respected authors - lather, rinse, and repeat until you can mimic the rhythm they use.

That's a pretty safe limb! Read more and read widely is probably the best advice to writers at all stages.