Manuscript Formatting: Photos, Figures, and Illustrations

Matti_KC

Write to the end.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all! I've been preparing a manuscript for a medical thriller, and was curious to hear everyone's suggestions on an issue I haven't quite found a consensus on.

If one were to include figures, graphs, photos, and/or illustrations to support the science in a novel manuscript, what would be the proper manuscript formatting? I've seen suggestions saying putting something like "[ART: A FIGURE OF X]" between two centered line breaks ("#") is sufficient. I've also seen people suggest including an appendix of images with a submission to an agent, but I've also heard that this could be frowned upon. Any thoughts on this out there? Has anyone submitted work with pictures? Thanks for your insights!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't really a Grammar and Syntax question.

I'm moving this to Mystery | Thriller | Suspense

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't really a Grammar and Syntax question.

I'm moving this to General Publishing questions.

Matti_KC

Write to the end.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! Yeah, it's an odd topic to categorize...general publishing is a much better fit! Hoping to hear some feedback :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's not usual for a writer to include illustrations with their manuscript. Usually, the publisher sources those illustrations after a book has been commissioned. But if you're dead set on doing this, you must keep the illustrations separate to the typescript. House them all in their own separate file, and make sure they're all the same format. Label each illustration, and then put something like "insert illustration/figure/table/diagram one here" in the appropriate places throughout the text.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Old Hack is correct. Plus, the publisher may have a format for these that you have to adhere to after the contract is signed. IN the non-fiction world, it's not unusual for a publisher to send you a Word template with all the formatting pre set for you.

Jeff

Matti_KC

Write to the end.
Registered
Reaction score
Aah, this makes sense. Thanks for your insights! Yeah, I'm hoping to build verisimilitude in my story with mock medical data, etc., so this will definitely come in handy, especially since authenticity is a bit important. :D

Thanks again guys!