Does Reading Really Make You a Better Person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
As an addendum to Lisa's post in #19, Steven Pinker in The Better Angels of Our Nature posits that the rise of novel reading and increased availability of fiction in the earlier parts of the 19th century--especially Dickens--increased empathy for the poor in the population and encouraged the growth of social service organizations and of the idea of social conscience in general because it allowed people to get into others' lives in a way that they previously hadn't even considered.

I think that's true; there's a lot of anecdotal evidence to support that in the form of contemporary letters in periodicals and to Dickens.

Dickens deliberately tried to change the environment by his writing (A Christmas Carol is very much about changing perceptions of readers); if writers write effectively, it stands to reason that part of the effect must involve readers changing or learning.

ETA:

And there's the whole Aristotelean idea of catharsis; the idea of cleansing/purging via reading tragedy.

Sidney and his peers in the English Renaissance picked up the Platonic ideal and argued that poetry changes us and makes us better by showing us not what is but what might be; a second golden world (see Phillip Sidney's Defense | Apology for Poetry, one of my favorite books ever). Poetry (in modern terms, reading) makes us want to create a better world by imitating the fictive ideal.

Last edited:

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Sure. It can. As mentioned above, you have to be receptive to whatever message you're reading, and internalize it to improve whatever issue you feel you need bettered.

However, I do NOT think that anyone can make a list of what books will make any other person "better." The person crafting such a list most likely isn't trying to make people *better,* they're trying to make people more palatable to themselves. For instance, a devoutly religious person will have one list they believe will make people better. A heavily-leaning political person will have one list that they believe will improve someone who leans the other way.

To that end, no, someone else's list will not make you a better person. But reading widely and allowing yourself to learn should lead to some sort of betterment, but every man's betterment is a personal thing. There are books that make people better killers - technically they've improved their skills by reading, sooooo maybe the goal has been met, although not by a civil society's yardstick.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing that's kind of sticking in my mind about this whole concept is whether the act of reading in and of itself can "make you a better person"...

For me, the act itself does not. It takes (among others):

1. The reader being receptive toward new thoughts and ideas (If you were to read the 95 theses of Martin Luther, but were an atheist - would that really make you any better?)
  2. The reader being actively engaged in taking the ideas and considering their preconceived notions, consider adapting themselves to incorporate either the ideas presented.
  3. The reader being actively engaged in taking the ideas and specifically saying "No, these are not part of what my world view will allow for, because of A, B, and C (or whatever)
  4. The reader being actively engaged to the point that they will remember the content of what they are reading to at least some degree

Is this assuming or expecting too much of becoming a better person from reading?

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading The Bible might make you a better person. 50 Shades or the Washington Post, maybe not as much. :)

But reading "should" make you a better writer. If that helps at all.

Jeff

I don't actually think that reading a text of religious or moral precepts would necessarily make you a better person. A person can read the Bible, or any other text that might vaguely (or not so vaguely) outline a moral system, till they're blue in the face, and easily slot in those stories and lessons into a thoroughly garbage worldview.

What matters in most cases, I think, is variety. Exposure to multitudes of thoughts, actions, beliefs, histories, and stories. Nonfiction and fiction both :) I don't know what books are on the list mentioned in the first post, but I highly doubt that reading any particular book, or even a limited set of books, would definitively cause personal betterment, so much as a whole lot of varied books/stories :)

Of course, it's always possible for a single book or whathaveyou to change someone's life. I'm sure it does happen. I'm just not convinced it's going to be one book or story more than another that's likely to do that :)

We’re considering the inherently subjective question of whether reading can make someone a better person. It’s likely that as far as generalizations go, and in the most basic conditions one would think yes. But it’s only when you start peeling that onion and consider the different layers, and the myriad of different onions that we start qualifying generalities with the precursor statement of:

”It depends...”

Well, if the question is *can* it make you a better person, then the answer would be yes, I think :) Possibility is a much broader question than certainty.

Another thing that's kind of sticking in my mind about this whole concept is whether the act of reading in and of itself can "make you a better person"...

For me, the act itself does not. It takes (among others):

1. The reader being receptive toward new thoughts and ideas (If you were to read the 95 theses of Martin Luther, but were an atheist - would that really make you any better?)
  2. The reader being actively engaged in taking the ideas and considering their preconceived notions, consider adapting themselves to incorporate either the ideas presented.
  3. The reader being actively engaged in taking the ideas and specifically saying "No, these are not part of what my world view will allow for, because of A, B, and C (or whatever)
  4. The reader being actively engaged to the point that they will remember the content of what they are reading to at least some degree.

I kind of wonder about this active engagement and remembering thing :) I think the construction of our beliefs and worldviews is more subtle than that, and extends far beyond the single actions and engagements than the ones we can consciously remember. Our selves and minds as they are today are composed of countless tiny exposures to this or that thing, a heaping pile of microscopic moments we may not even be able to see. I can't remember every piece of evidence, every fact I learned, every conversation I had, that led me to believe -- or not believe -- the things I do (or don't) right now, or all the individual events or non-events that led to my current habits. I remember the conclusions of those processes, but not every tiny step along the way; nor was I always aware of what I was learning, unlearning, deepening my ignorance of, or training myself to think and do.

In other words, I don't think I can pick out a single book, article, documentary, movie, television show, conversation with another person, tweet, internet post, experience, picture, or piece of art that changed me. It's all of them, interacting together with everything that came before, little molecules in a tiny Red Spot-type neverending storm in my head where everything is kinda ill-defined anyway. For the most part, I don't know which ones made me better, worse, or had no effect. And of course it's debatable whether I am "better," though I like to think I'm slightly less of a shitgarnish than I was a decade or more ago :p

...Anyway, it's an interesting conversation :) Though I don't think I'm saying much that's new here--overall I agree with others who point out that exposure to a multitude of stories can deepen empathy, and those who say it won't necessarily do so, either ;)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Just to play Devil's Advocate here:

So, if a person is an "empty cave", are you saying that nothing can help them? And alternatively, would it be safe to say on this basis that someone must have some bare essence or something within them as a precondition for improvement?

Who would be the arbiter of whether a person is an empty cave or has a bare essence?

That there was a literary allusion to Plato's allegory of the cave.

It's a tricky literary allusion because the allegory of the cave is not as clear-cut or simple as people would like it to be.

Plato was a sneaky SOB and completely wrong about poetry.

I would submit that reading widely and carefully can make you a better reader.

But even that's not guaranteed.

Last edited:

mmallico

Registered
Reaction score
That there was a literary allusion to Plato's allegory of the cave.

It's a tricky literary allusion because the allegory of the cave is not as clear-cut or simple as people would like it to be.

Plato was a sneaky SOB and completely wrong about poetry.

I would submit that reading widely and carefully can make you a better reader.

But even that's not guaranteed.

More than that, it is not just what you read, but how you read. Several studies have indicated that people that rely on print usually read slower and comprehend more than those that rely on the screen. In fact, some researchers have argued that we use different parts of our brain when reading text on a screen vs that on a book.

Comprehension, criticism and deliberation seem to be far more important to growing as a reader than simply reading everything you can get your hands on. One person might take away more from a novel, script, text etc. than another person reading the exact same thing because they have given themselves the time and forethought to actually comprehend what they are reading.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
More than that, it is not just what you read, but how you read. Several studies have indicated that people that rely on print usually read slower and comprehend more than those that rely on the screen. In fact, some researchers have argued that we use different parts of our brain when reading text on a screen vs that on a book.

Do you have links to any of these studies? I ask because I'd think the type or dynamics of the screens used in the study(ies) might have a significant impact on the conclusions reached. For example, a scrolling screen forces me to read much faster to get the gist of what I'm reading, whereas reading on my Kindle allows me to savor and ponder as I would be able to with a book printed on paper; i.e., there's no discernible difference.

Comprehension, criticism and deliberation seem to be far more important to growing as a reader than simply reading everything you can get your hands on. One person might take away more from a novel, script, text etc. than another person reading the exact same thing because they have given themselves the time and forethought to actually comprehend what they are reading.

Yes, absolutely. I'd pretty much have to agree with this since reading comprehension is my soapbox issue. Thankfully, it's a skill which can be learned.*

*(It's shocking how blue the air here in my office can turn when I'm on the internet—even here on the forum—and seeing the lack of reading comprehension.)

Last edited:

mmallico

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have links to any of these studies? I ask because I'd think the type or dynamics of the screens used in the study(ies) might have a significant impact on the conclusions reached. For example, a scrolling screen forces me to read much faster to get the gist of what I'm reading, whereas reading on my Kindle allows me to savor and ponder as I would be able to with a book printed on paper; i.e., there's no discernible difference.

I can try to find some, as I first heard of this from a college course I took a while back and the textbook I read it from is currently MIA.

But here is a few links for some sources I found online. The first is from the Scientific American, which I read briefly before posting my first response.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/reading-paper-screens/

Not much to say here, but it also suggest that the way we process light also affects our reading patterns.

https://www.radford.act.edu.au/storage/reading-on-screens-v-paper.pdf
http://www.businessinsider.com/students-learning-education-print-textbooks-screens-study-2017-10
http://www.luther.edu/oneota-reading-journal/archive/2016/digital-age/

And here's a few more. I've got to run in a bit, so I'll try to find some more as I get time.

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a really interesting thread!

Does anyone know of data that looks at people’s perceptions of reading paper vs electronic formats? I have a kindle but I find reading paper books much more enjoyable. I’m fully aware it’s all in my perception but it would be interesting to know what you all think.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe that it increased your knowledge, empathy, creativity and acuity among many other things.

In short, yes, I do believe it makes you a better person.

fenyo

Registered
Reaction score
yep... I mean, Ayn Rand was well educated and well read. All it did was sharpen her nasty side.

Not sure if this is a critic of Ayn Rand writing or of her views. But the point is that reading did make her batter, according to her. As it is ultimately subjective.

R.A. Lundberg

Registered
Reaction score
Books (or whatever) cannot make one a better person; only the person can make themselves better. But a book can certainly show someone the path. Every major religion I'm aware of has a "Holy Book" that purports to show the way to being a better human being. (All of which, in the end, boil down to the Bill and Ted theory of religion: Be excellent to Each Other!) Books can inspire, instruct, and guide us to our goal, but only an individual can decide what that goal looks like.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Not sure if this is a critic of Ayn Rand writing or of her views. But the point is that reading did make her batter, according to her. As it is ultimately subjective.

I realise this is a typo, but it's the most accurate assessment of Ayn Rand that I've seen in a while.

Matt Walker

Registered
Reaction score
I think reading can make us better people. Facts do inform our moral code. Things that were considered wrong even 50 years ago are not considered wrong today due to the proliferation of ideas and facts. For instance, when you learn that homosexuality is practised all over the animal kingdom, and that 10% of rams only ever have sex with other rams, you might realise that homosexuality is not unnatural and it's not a choice. In which case you should realise it is not immoral.

Education does improve societies. And I think empathy is a huge part of that, as has been mentioned. Love The Better Angels of our Nature, by the way!

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I do believe that reading can make us more open minded to people, and the world. I could be wrong, but I can't think of one of mankind's greatest men or women, who didn't profess to being a great reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.