Seeking other stories like Enders Game where one brainy student...

lurky

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
My favorite part of Enders game was the way Ender used his intelligence to defeat the other students and overcome the schools challenges. He he pitted students against each other, tricked them, and though was small in stature, he would engage in violence if necessary.

Im looking for other stories, in any genre, where one highly intelligent student (or member of some organization) is pitted against the general population of the school or organization or gang, and uses his brain to combat them via dirty tricks, setting them up, targeted violence, etc.

Thanks!!

TSJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Red rising by Pierce Brown would probably hit the bill.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I remember reading and enjoying the Great Brain books as a kid. They're kind of sexist (even more so than the Ender books), because of when they were written and the characters' disdain for girls, and written for kids, but they were pretty amusing. The books were set in late-19the-century America and were told from the viewpoint of a boy whose older brother was a child prodigy who used his "gifts" in sometimes questionable ways. The books aren't a testament for sociopathy, because there are sometimes consequences when the "Great Brain" goes too far.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
In The Dark Forest (The Three Body Problem #2), advanced aliens from Alpha Centauri are slated to invade Earth. They use just a probe to destroy the Earth's entire space fleet (of about two thousand spaceships). They have managed to halt humans' technological advancement. After the failure of three influential statesmen and scientists to lead the Earth's defense, the UN forced a reluctant scientist, Luo, to take the job (because the aliens have been trying hard to kill him). After a quick setback, Luo descends into decadence and alcoholism.

I was very frustrated with Luo at this point, and then I realized his setback, decadence, etc are all covers for an ingenious plan to defeat an invader that is leagues more advanced.

But the book (and the series) is not an easy read. It's hard science fiction written to torment your inner peace, and make you think hard about humans and their future for days after you've finished the book (or the third book). But if you can last through the Ender's Game series, you're likely going to like this trilogy.

Last edited:

lurky

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all, they all sound like good reads

llawrence

Registered
Reaction score
How about Arkady Darell in Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov? She's alone in the galaxy and pitted against an entire society of psionic masterminds.