Memoir question

paqart

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paqphoto.com
For years, I have been asked to write a memoir by those who are aware of events from my youth. I have resisted the idea, at first because I wasn't sure how. Since then, I have had four books published, five journal articles, and am likely within months of receiving my PhD from one of the more prestigious UK universities. I am no longer worried about my ability to write it but do have another qualm. Some of the people I would write about have done things that are indictable crimes, though well outside any statute of limitations. Most of these are easy enough to deal with by giving the persons in question pseudonyms. Family members cannot be handled the same way. The reason is that if I write under my own name, it would be easy enough for a motivated reader to learn the names of my relatives. Because some of them have done things that would likely be frowned upon, it could be problematic.

Two days ago, my sister suggested for the first time that I write a book about our youth. I patiently explained that there are at least two critical events involving her that she would likely not want to see published. She wanted to know what I meant, so I described them to her. At first she denied them, but after checking with our mother, said that my version of events had been corroborated, but that she didn't want me to write about it because it would "destroy" her. Initially, I didn't want to write the book at all, but for some reason this interchange made the subject interesting. Moreover, the events in question are of general interest and I did personally witness them. For that reason, I resist the idea that another person can have veto power, particularly when the person in question seeks to conceal two attempted murders committed as a child. In the first, I was the intended victim, but luckily the police arrived in time and rescued me. In the second, our mother was the intended victim, but I managed to fight off my sister as she strangled our mother. When our mother went to call the police however, she found she could not speak due to wounds on her throat. She had to find someone else to make the call.

Now I want to write the book but prefer not to arouse the ire of any relatives, or other persons who also wouldn't appreciate seeing their actions from long ago see the light of day. One of these, for instance, was a child molester. Another is now a professor emeritus at a large university, but when I knew him was something of a sadist. Non-relatives can receive pseudonyms, though the professor is so well-known in some circles that it is possible he would be recognizable from my description of events he participated in. The only way to do this that I can think of is to use a pseudonym for myself and every other person in the book.

It seems to me that a pseudonymous memoir would be much less interesting due to the fact that the details cannot be independently checked by readers. The publisher could be given real names for fact-checking, but that might not be very interesting to them. Is my concern a fair one? Or would the use of a pseudonym on a book like this be a non-issue for an agent and publisher?

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
For years, I have been asked to write a memoir by those who are aware of events from my youth. I have resisted the idea, at first because I wasn't sure how. Since then, I have had four books published, five journal articles, and am likely within months of receiving my PhD from one of the more prestigious UK universities. I am no longer worried about my ability to write it but do have another qualm. Some of the people I would write about have done things that are indictable crimes, though well outside any statute of limitations. Most of these are easy enough to deal with by giving the persons in question pseudonyms. Family members cannot be handled the same way. The reason is that if I write under my own name, it would be easy enough for a motivated reader to learn the names of my relatives. Because some of them have done things that would likely be frowned upon, it could be problematic.

Two days ago, my sister suggested for the first time that I write a book about our youth. I patiently explained that there are at least two critical events involving her that she would likely not want to see published. She wanted to know what I meant, so I described them to her. At first she denied them, but after checking with our mother, said that my version of events had been corroborated, but that she didn't want me to write about it because it would "destroy" her. Initially, I didn't want to write the book at all, but for some reason this interchange made the subject interesting. Moreover, the events in question are of general interest and I did personally witness them. For that reason, I resist the idea that another person can have veto power, particularly when the person in question seeks to conceal two attempted murders committed as a child. In the first, I was the intended victim, but luckily the police arrived in time and rescued me. In the second, our mother was the intended victim, but I managed to fight off my sister as she strangled our mother. When our mother went to call the police however, she found she could not speak due to wounds on her throat. She had to find someone else to make the call.

Now I want to write the book but prefer not to arouse the ire of any relatives, or other persons who also wouldn't appreciate seeing their actions from long ago see the light of day. One of these, for instance, was a child molester. Another is now a professor emeritus at a large university, but when I knew him was something of a sadist. Non-relatives can receive pseudonyms, though the professor is so well-known in some circles that it is possible he would be recognizable from my description of events he participated in. The only way to do this that I can think of is to use a pseudonym for myself and every other person in the book.

It seems to me that a pseudonymous memoir would be much less interesting due to the fact that the details cannot be independently checked by readers. The publisher could be given real names for fact-checking, but that might not be very interesting to them. Is my concern a fair one? Or would the use of a pseudonym on a book like this be a non-issue for an agent and publisher?

Pseudonyms are meaningless if the people are identifiable, even by themselves, or people who know them well.

As well, accusing people of crimes isn't something that will have no consequence just because the statute of limitations has passed.

Both of these things can get you sued into the next millennium. Even if you can prove everything you say is factual, you'd still have to, you know, prove it in court.

Tread very carefully with this kind of thing -- you probably need the advice of legal counsel well-experienced in these areas if you're going to even consider this.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm not a lawyer. My understanding is that you and/or the publisher could still be sued even if you use pseudonyms.

I always weigh the potential gain versus the potential harm. There are things I won't write about because of the harm they could cause. I think you need to take a good look at this one.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do this. It is indeed your story.

You could write fiction based on your story. You could write it and choose not to publish. You could tell the story but use pseudonyms as you suggest, but again, I'll warn you that that may not get you off the legal hook.

One caveat, if all of your writing verges on academic (which is what it looks like from that opening paragraph), then you may not understand how to structure a narrative in an interesting way. If you plan to go forward with this, you'll need to do that.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

paqart

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paqphoto.com
I just finished writing a long, thoughtful, and carefully edited reply. The reply vanished when I tried to upload it because I had been logged out due to "inactivity". In reality, I was actually crafting my reply. I don't want that to happen again, so I'll be quick:

1) I'm not worried about legal issues on this. If they are a problem, a publisher or agent would be in a better position to spot it and I would trust them.
2) I am not concerned about whether I have the ability to write in a narrative style. If I can't, I either won't get an agent or won't sell the book. Either way, problem solved.
3) I am concerned about the difference between the investment required for a non-fiction proposal vs. a fiction submission. If I write as fiction, the book must be written out in its entirety. A non-fiction proposal takes less time to generate. If publishers are wary of non-fiction memoirs pitched as fiction, then I don't want to waste my time. If they don't care, then I am comfortable writing it out.
4) I do want to respect my sister's wishes. She is the only living person whose wishes I care about in connection with any memoir I write. Any other person who might become depressed/suicidal, litigious, or homicidal, I don't care. In reality, I anticipate that pseudonyms will be sufficient to make it impossible to identify most characters. In the one case it isn't enough, I can thoroughly obscure the person's identity by leaving out details of his career. They are interesting because he is famous in the tech world, but those details are not pivotal to the story. Only two people in the world would be able to identify themselves even with pseudonyms: my mother and sister.
5) My sister has requested that I write it as fiction because she does not want two important events to be connected to her real identity. Both involved a police interaction, and both were due to an act of violence committed by her. She was the perpetrator, but has turned her life around, so I am inclined to respect her wishes.
6) If I do respect my sister's wishes by 1) writing the book (she requested it) and 2) writing it as fiction, I worry that it won't be interesting to a publisher because it is written as fiction. Is that a fair concern?

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Let's go back one step. You don't write a proposal for memoir and then write the book. You write the book and then write the proposal and then try to get an agent. You actually have more work to do for memoir than for fiction.

If you make it interesting enough, agents are more likely to spring for fiction than for memoir. Ditto publishers.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

paqart

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paqphoto.com
Okay, so the category memoir is not treated the same as non-fiction? I thought that memoirs would have the same submission guidelines as non-fiction. Thanks for the information on that.

If fiction, or a fictional treatment of real events is more interesting to publishers, then I will write it that way. My concern was that a fictional treatment would be less interesting.

Thanks!

Let's go back one step. You don't write a proposal for memoir and then write the book. You write the book and then write the proposal and then try to get an agent. You actually have more work to do for memoir than for fiction.

If you make it interesting enough, agents are more likely to spring for fiction than for memoir. Ditto publishers.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That's more or less correct. Memoir is treated as both non-fiction and fiction, and you generally need both the ms and a proposal. You submit them the way you submit non-fiction, unless the agent or publisher specifies otherwise, but you need to have written the book first, unless you're a celebrity.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Lisa Driscoll

Lisa D.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sassycatchat.com
I agree also with the train of thought that you have every right to tell your story. However, consequence are likely to stem from writing your story. Maybe avoid the strict memoir and try a fictionalized version, possibly a pen name to mitigate the fall out.