Title

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I've completed 7 books (and no title has become clear...), am working on the 8th, and it will be 10 in the end. (Until last night I thought it would be 9, but... oops.) None are published yet.

Because they are already all plotted out, I could go ahead and name all 10 -- I just don't have the first idea for ANY of them. Music is a big theme, so I've thought about playing on words like Beat, Rhythm, Harmony, etc. Just don't want to corner myself by titling books 1-7 like that, then thinking of the perfect non-musical title for book 8.

I've been writing this thing for a year and have failed to come with a single book title that's stuck. I'm definitely not having chapter titles because that's another 200 or so titles to come up with!

Can you work without a title for each book?

If so, I think you might find it beneficial to finish all 10 books then name each one.

Music might be a big theme, but what about the underlying psychological one (if any)? What about a subtler theme that's present, but the reader would miss it completely if not for the title?

OTOH, I think titles are the last thing on the writer's novel list to think about. Personally, I'd go for finishing the stories first. :)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
This is obviously a fairly big issue. Also, I wrote much of it out of order -- I started out writing (for my own amusement) various interesting scenes and scenarios, and building a story from that, so it was important from the start to keep things straight.

I have a massive file of random notes, several spreadsheets, and a working file of notes where I jot ideas down....”

Hopefully, nothing I write is offensive; not my intention! If you are writing the novels for yourself, go for it. If, however, you want to sell these one day, you may have problems. Obviously, readers want to be satisfied. You are selling a polished product to them. They want to be able to figure out the logic, as the story unfolds. Foreshadowing gives them the clues they need, based on previous information you tell them, to at least guess at the outcome of an event (or a series of events). Without continuity, readers will be confused; i.e. they may feel they are not be able to form an educated opinion of what may result from said buildups. These may result from continuity issues (i.e. problems with inconsistent information you relay, over time, to the reader). Saying one thing in book 2, then contradicting it in book 7, will confuse the reader.

If you have not researched means of continuity management for series, give it a try. I gave some examples. Timelines are another, but that's more a topical one. Research "series grid" and "character map novel writing." Look up "character charts" too.

For more on the literary bible, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_(screenwriting)

George Lucas kept one of these for Star Wars. He calls it his Holocron (a digitized version of his "bibles").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_expanded_universe#Holocron_database_and_canonicity

I'm tackling problems with some continuity myself, in my proposed series. I am working through them now, before I start writing word one, of book one.

I have a lot of research and pre-written dialogue too. I have databases for character names, character bios, magic system with spells, potions, and so forth. I have loads more databases of research, all digitized. The problem is, how does one piece it all together, not just for one book, but for an entire series? This is where these continuity tactics, mentioned above, matter.

Here's another issue, hopefully one you managed.... Do you have a data management plan; i.e. a plan to have backups of all your databases, writing, books, and so forth? Do you have more than one copy saved (e.g. one to computer, one to thumb drive, one to cloud storage, one to CD/DVD, other)?

Series writing requires a lot of pre-planning, if continuity is a concern to the writer. I started my project, day one, August 14, 2017 2018 (Monday). Eight months in, I am almost ready to start writing. I had to teach myself how to write novels then how to write a series of novels. My fictional universe spans 4 eras and 30 years. Potentially, I see 17 books in the series. If I cannot land an agent, and a sale, for book one, I won't write another book. This is all a learning process for me, and a personal challenge to use my formal education in project management and other things; i.e. I want to see if my organizational skills are up to par. Writing a novel series reminds me, very much, of writing a Federal U.S., research grant. If you don't deliver a perfect proposal, you won't get funded (i.e. an agent, a sale, fans, and so forth). Well, Federal grants have to be this way; maybe not so much books, but close to it!

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
The massive file of random notes is 30,000 words and includes example addresses (from google maps) of the houses they've lived in, pics and specs of the vehicles they drive and the guns they shoot, when to plant and harvest veggies in the Pacific Northwest, how to make soap from lye, what it's like to live on a boat, 12-step programs, FBI procedures, summer job ideas for a teenager... on and on it goes.

Sounds like you have a good thing going

There are a good number of writers on AW who've written multiple books, a fair few of whom have published traditionally, and they do things in a similar way without any dedicated system.

I tend to keep almost everything in my head and make very few notes or outlines.

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is obviously a fairly big issue. Also, I wrote much of it out of order -- I started out writing (for my own amusement) various interesting scenes and scenarios, and building a story from that, so it was important from the start to keep things straight.

I have a massive file of random notes, several spreadsheets, and a working file of notes where I jot ideas down. The spreadsheets include various different timelines covering about 4 years as well as extending 25 years into the past (when the oldest main character was born). I have a timeline for who each of three brothers was dating for the last few years; what jobs their loser father held during their childhood and where they lived; and another one detailing what science fiction movie one brother has his sister watching because he's educating her on the lot, from the fifties classics to present day, in order by decade.

This is in addition to detailed plot timelines, which are scene-by-scene with precise dates attached (even though the books don't usually mention the date), whose POV the scene is from, and word count.

The massive file of random notes is 30,000 words and includes example addresses (from google maps) of the houses they've lived in, pics and specs of the vehicles they drive and the guns they shoot, when to plant and harvest veggies in the Pacific Northwest, how to make soap from lye, what it's like to live on a boat, 12-step programs, FBI procedures, summer job ideas for a teenager... on and on it goes.

Most of this isn't in the books, just touches here and there. For example, I researched motorcycles for days to come up with (among other things) this exchange:

“Your bikes all look the same to me, anyway,” Wynter said.
This was true, yet all three of her brothers exchanged incredulous looks.
“Don’t tell Indio his fancy Italian bike looks the same as a Honda,” Jesse scolded her, in jest.
“Don’t talk about my Honda like that,” Caleb said, checking Joy’s helmet and then Wynter’s, before mounting his bike. “There’s a reason they call this the Beast.”
“What is the reason?” Wynter asked, hopping on behind him. Joy got on behind Indio.
“One hundred horsepower.”
“Is that a lot?”
“Hell, yes!” Jesse piped up. “That’s the first power cruiser, a super-bike. It’s older than Caleb.”
“I wanted this bike since I was eight years old,” Caleb said.
Wynter turned to Indio. “How many horses does yours have?”
“About half that. But I don’t have to stop every two hours for gas.”

Wow! That sounds awesome and mega-organised.

JK Rowling and Dan Wells do a similar thing as you (spreadsheets etc). Excel boggles my mind.

GoSpeed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rjacques.net
My first book, Rasere's War, followed the template an previous poster supplied. Rasere, was the main character, and War, was what she faced, both literal and figurative. The follow on novel will be We Built This City. I simply borrowed the title to a Jefferson Starship song and the story is naturally takes place in a city, a city by the bay; Bay City!. Book 3 will be called The Bounding Main is also from an old sea shanty and of course the story has a nautical theme to it.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there something you know that we don't? :Hug2: H G Wells would have been impressed. :snoopy:

.... I started my project, day one, August 14, 2018 (Monday). Eight months in, I am almost ready to start writing.....

:beam::beam:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
You are joking- surely? But if not- This is only April 2018 Earth Time. Any help?

I made different points in my post. Are you referring to something, specifically, you disagree with?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I made different points in my post. Are you referring to something, specifically, you disagree with?

Not at all. Come on - be honest - Which planet are you from? :Hug2:

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As long as you don't disagree with any points I made, I think it's best to end our relays here, politely. :hi:

It was meant as a friendly joke, Enlightened, but you didn't twig it. We all make funny typos - :Hug2:

I started my project, day one, August 14, 2018 (Monday). Eight months in, I am almost ready to start writing.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the typo. Corrected; cheers.

A classic example of how we see what we want - or expect - to see. One of the reasons revising and self-editing one's own work takes a lot of concentration -as you'll find out eventually.

I'm afraid I skimmed most of your post.

Last edited:

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I self-publish so I come up with my own titles; usually they come first but not always. I'm doing pulp adventures so the title tends to follow directly from the seed idea, as was the case in Against the Eldest Flame, Air Pirates of Krakatoa, and Giant Robots of Tunguska. The third book, Attacked Beneath Antarctica, started out as Trilobites of Terror but I just couldn't work them in...

It's a pity, because I do like the title.

Right now, I'm working on The Ziggurat of Doom, a title I got from watching too many episodes of Ancient Aliens.

Motley

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I struggle with titles. Sometimes I get lucky and a phrase from the book pops out and tells me it wants to be on the cover. My main WiP's name comes from the title of the main character. I'm hoping it changes as time goes by. I obsess a bit over titles for books in a series. I want them to match alliteratively, by syllable, or at least stick to the same theme. Maybe this is normal?

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is called “Reveillon,” which translates to “awakening” in French. It sounds exotic while also conveying a theme of discovering inner strength, which is the central conflict the MC goes through.

Pure dumb luck brought me to that word. Thank goodness. I didn’t want to have to use adventure, cycle, or saga.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
My WIP is called “Reveillon,” which translates to “awakening” in French.
Huh? Réveillon means a long evening of festivities that end in the wee hours the next morning, usually either Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve.

I think you mean either waking up (réveil) or the dawning of something (éveil).

-cb

Last edited: