Title

Miss Vicky

Getting the hang of it.
Registered
Reaction score
I read through my MS and picked a phrase that seemed to fit. Then I searched for that phrase on Amazon, noticed that it was the title of several other novels, and so chose a different phrase. Searched for the new phrase and got no results, so I went with that.

D. E. Wyatt

Registered
Reaction score
Most of the titles for my Elsabeth Soesten books involve word play of some sort.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I'm working on a series of five novels that relate to human extinction.

1. Departure: because they're escaping an extinction event on Earth.
2. Desperation: because even though they escaped, they brought all their problems with them.
3. Damnation: some people survived back on Earth, and are in the midst of a religious war.
4. Darkness: a rip in space/time brings back an insane artificial intelligence.
5. Destiny: it turns out that extinction is actually evolution.

Carl L Sanders

Registered
Reaction score
As The World Falls Down - current working title, came from a song in one of my favorite movies.
I hesitate to give advice to an artist (gee, they might take and later regret it.)
It seems to me that As the World Falls is catchier.
Best of Fortune on your Project.

Glenn

Registered
Reaction score
The name of my next novel came to me in a dream many years ago. I thought it sounded interesting so I made a note of it, meaning to use it for some project at some point. It fit perfectly for this story, ended up serving as a window into a character arc, and followed the same format as the title of my first book. Very serendipitous!

mwatchornbooks

Registered
Reaction score
I used to struggle with titles until one of my creative writing professors advised me to look for my titles about 3/4 of the way through the story. It's just one method, of course, but I came up with a couple awesome titles that way.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I usually save the titling for after the book is finished. Sometimes I'll have an epiphany like halfway through writing and be like 'THAT'S THE TITLE!', but that rarely happens, at least for me. I would think sticking with a theme would work best. Maybe make the title a series of questions that might come up in the books? OR you could alternate between questions and answers. Or make the series titles all be questions and then the last one could be an answer. I'm just spitballing, to b e honest. If I knew more about the series I think I would have better input. Titling is the worst so I wish you the best of luck

IanConrey

Registered
Reaction score
My title changed names as I wrote the story. Once I wrote my first draft, I finished with the name Hælend's Ballad, since the story revolves around an old ballad written by a guy named Hælend. It just kinda made sense.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I got tired of calling it Unknown of the NoName series. I chose a temporary title and a temporary series name. The temporary title is Ranewt, and the temporary series title is Zara. Ranewt is the name of Anora's Hippogriff, and Zara is the country setting.

Lolly12

Registered
Reaction score
I started with an entirely different name but ended up with one based on something I was doing as a creative constraint.

reiver33

Monolithic
Registered
Reaction score
As someone mentioned earlier, I used a line of dialogue, which came from a migraine meds induced waking dream (played in my head like a film clip)

WilkinsonMJ

Registered
Reaction score
I took "From an Antique Land" from Ozymandias by Percy Shelley. I've always loved the poem and it was lucky that the themes of the poem and those of my book are similar enough to have it be applicable. I've always loved titles taken from poems because I think you can give it a deeper meaning using the connotations associated with the work.

Jaxx Capta

Registered
Reaction score
I pick from music a lot. The current one's Aphelion, based off a Scandroid song. Its sequel is Perihelion because that's the opposite of aphelion. Not that I'm particularly attached to either title, I expect them to change should they get picked up.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I've been playing with different title ideas for one WIP. One is a riff on Catherine, Called Birdy, a children's historical novel (mine's decidedly adult). A character alternately goes by Alice and Wendy, hence "Alice, Called Wendy". But I've also considered a phrase from the WIP, which conveys a character motivation: "A Cure for Mortality." But then I've also considered another phrase spoken by a character: "The Modern Modern Prometheus." I like the ring of it, and it has thematic resonance. But I'm afraid people will think the double "modern" is an error, and/or they won't be familiar with the allusion to "The Modern Prometheus". In other words, out of the context of the dialogue, it might not really work.