Speaker Paul Ryan NOT SEEKING RE-ELECTION

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm finding it telling that the Tea Partiers are on TV this morning slamming Ryan for the Omnibus budget. At the same time they're slamming spending by holding up the CBO report on spending, they discount the CBO report's commentary about the tax cuts, and it's ALL RYAN'S FAULT!

So basically, he had zero ability to lead his own party so he'll take his ball and go home. I"m sure he'll be back, although I'm not sure about 2020. If Trump is still POTUS, whatever he's got on Ryan to turn him so thoroughly into an invertebrate will still be useful.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Oh those wives and children! Always there for politicians facing failure to hide behind. As some commenter whose name I didn't get said, "Let's assume that Obama was a one term president and Romney/Ryan replaced him and were elected for a second term. Vice President Paul Ryan would now be in the sixth year of his term. Raise your hand if you think he would be announcing he was leaving public life for the sake of his children, rather than feverishly working on his own 2020 presidential campaign."

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score
Paul Ryan has always been a fake, greedy, self serving, you know what. Trump didn't 'change him.' He's always been this and always will be. Like so many of his cowardly, self serving associates, he's leaving a sinking ship. One that he, himself helped cause the wreck. When people say our children will pay for the current mess they don't mean Paul Ryan's children. Nope. He(and now them) will have all the money he/they need(and more.) Good riddance

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Or, he's a spineless coward who has enabled Trump's destructive mission, while completely ignoring his own oath of office to uphold the U.S. Constitution and to do the job Congress and the Speaker are expected to do.
I'm not sure how he's violated the Constitution. The duties of the Speaker are not elaborated in the Constitution. The job of Congress is to pass legislation - the House has sent over 450 bills to the Senate in the current session (2017-2019) with Ryan as Speaker. Lots of bills are ceremonial in nature (naming a Post Office, etc.), but every Congress does that. Ryan had no control over what the Senate does once a bill is passed by the House and sent to them.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm not sure how he's violated the Constitution. The duties of the Speaker are not elaborated in the Constitution. The job of Congress is to pass legislation - the House has sent over 450 bills to the Senate in the current session (2017-2019) with Ryan as Speaker. Lots of bills are ceremonial in nature (naming a Post Office, etc.), but every Congress does that. Ryan had no control over what the Senate does once a bill is passed by the House and sent to them.

Link: Paul Ryan and Devin Nunes Are Betraying the Constitution in the Service of Donald Trump.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
You do know that proves part of my point, right? They demonize her.
I
But you glibly ignored my second point, she's effective.
Of course. And the GOP raises a lot of money demonizing her. Effective.
From what I read it seems a lot of the members of her own party in the house would like to see her go. She's deemed to be too old and has stuttered and stammered while making speeches. Some question if she is losing it mentally. Yet she remains powerful and will likely hold onto her leadership position.
I hope she stays. It helps my side.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
everyone is entitled to their opinion. But which clause or clauses of the Constitution has Ryan violated?

My earlier comment (emphasis added):

Or, he's a spineless coward who has enabled Trump's destructive mission, while completely ignoring his own oath of office to uphold the U.S. Constitution and to do the job Congress and the Speaker are expected to do.

From the article:

Ryan’s dereliction of duty is the more serious matter, as it betrays the most fundamental tenets of the Constitution. When the speaker chose to facilitate this bungling effort by Nunes to smear the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Justice on Trump’s behalf, the Wisconsin Republican signaled a willingness to make the House of Representatives an appendage of the White House.

In so doing, Ryan abandoned the solemn oath he swore “to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic…”

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From what I read it seems a lot of the members of her own party in the house would like to see her go. She's deemed to be too old and has stuttered and stammered while making speeches. Some question if she is losing it mentally. Yet she remains powerful and will likely hold onto her leadership position.

So your issue with Pelosi is she stutters and stammers?

Re her age and the accusation she's getting senile, that is nothing but more demonizing. The woman remains very effective or the GOP wouldn't care anything about her.

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score

This is the same type of bs we heard about Hilary Clinton during the campaign. That she was old. That she was unwell(mentally or physically.) And yet, those same people(assuming you did this too) voted for a man like Trump who has the temperament of an 8 yr old and publicly speaks like a bumbling, incoherent mad man.

I wonder if Trump could stand up in front of Congress and speak for 8 hours, non stop, like Pelosi did in February... yeah she's the unfit one :roll:

Last edited:

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
+1 to TCnKC. My thoughts exactly!!!

"This (Puerto Rico) is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

Those sound exactly like the sly talking points Russian agents were spreading about Hillary Clinton before the last election. Putin and his cronies do hate them uppity democracy-loving women.

When Nancy Pelosi finally gets as old as Strom Thurmond, twenty years from now, then may she be criticized as he was for being too old.

Oh wait, he wasn’t.

Hmm.