• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Collaborative] WriteALong

Harro

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Harro, I’m from Amsterdam in The Netherlands, I just finished a short creative writing course and I was very surprised about how enjoying it actually is. Other than doing the writing course I absolutely lack any creative writing experience.

Although I am interested in writing stories, I don't like the idea of doing it all alone with just me and my computer. I studied Industrial design and I’m used to work in teams on developing new products. I believe that when people work together, they are able to achieve much more than when they are working alone. They are able to inspire each other with their ideas and views and are able to help each other out. Therefore, the result of such a collaboration is likely to be of a better quality than when it's only one person working on it. (Or he/she must be a genius)

I’m also a big fan of concepts such as open source, crowdsourcing and crowdfunding (for example; Wikipedia, Drupal, Linux, Kickstarter, etc.) That's why I've decided to build a website which should facilitate large groups of people to collaborate on writing stories together. I know I’m not supposed to post any website links here so I won't. (You can always ask me directly if you're interested)

There already are some websites which enable people to write together, most of them enable 1 person to start off a story with chapter 1 and other people can write chapter 2 and so on. This is cool, but I don’t think such a process could ever result in coherent stories of high quality, with meaning and underlying connections. So, my idea is to first start off with short, abstract and vague ideas and to gradually evolve them into elaborate and complex stories step by step guided by the collective opinion and creativity of all the participating co-writers. This is somewhat similar to how I’ve learned how to develop a new product.

What do you guys think about this idea? Do you think it will be possible to have a great high-quality story which is created by hundreds of co-authors? Does anyone have any tips for me on how to find people who would want to help me write the very first story this way? Maybe you yourself want to help?

Looking forward to your responses!
Harro

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Harro, I’m from Amsterdam in The Netherlands, I just finished a short creative writing course and I was very surprised about how enjoying it actually is. Other than doing the writing course I absolutely lack any creative writing experience.

Although I am interested in writing stories, I don't like the idea of doing it all alone with just me and my computer. I studied Industrial design and I’m used to work in teams on developing new products. I believe that when people work together, they are able to achieve much more than when they are working alone. They are able to inspire each other with their ideas and views and are able to help each other out. Therefore, the result of such a collaboration is likely to be of a better quality than when it's only one person working on it. (Or he/she must be a genius)

I’m also a big fan of concepts such as open source, crowdsourcing and crowdfunding (for example; Wikipedia, Drupal, Linux, Kickstarter, etc.) That's why I've decided to build a website which should facilitate large groups of people to collaborate on writing stories together. I know I’m not supposed to post any website links here so I won't. (You can always ask me directly if you're interested)

There already are some websites which enable people to write together, most of them enable 1 person to start off a story with chapter 1 and other people can write chapter 2 and so on. This is cool, but I don’t think such a process could ever result in coherent stories of high quality, with meaning and underlying connections. So, my idea is to first start off with short, abstract and vague ideas and to gradually evolve them into elaborate and complex stories step by step guided by the collective opinion and creativity of all the participating co-writers. This is somewhat similar to how I’ve learned how to develop a new product.

What do you guys think about this idea? Do you think it will be possible to have a great high-quality story which is created by hundreds of co-authors? No. Does anyone have any tips for me on how to find people who would want to help me write the very first story this way? Maybe you yourself want to help?

Harro

Hi --

Welcome to AW.

I don't think I quite understand the point of this -- what would you do with a story created by hundreds of people?

Honestly, I don't buy the premise to begin with; writing is a solitary exercise, and collaboration, while possible, when successful, in my experience, is a near-miraculous convergence. Also... don't see the point, and it sounds rather like hell to have to collaborate with lots of people and work in teams. The absolute worst assignments in school were the ones requiring teamwork.

Harro

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I understand what you mean, yet I do think that it is possible to effectively collaborate.

To be clear, by collaborating I don't mean endless discussions. Instead, by implementing voting-mechanisms and rating systems everyone should be able to give their opinion on the ideas and the choices that have to made regarding the development of a story. The result of a vote or ranking of highest rating would be decisive on which ideas are best and which should be developed further.

The collaborating aspect is more about sharing ideas and views on a story which would help other people to also come up with new ideas.

I think when a story is developed this way, so when many people were able to influence the development, the story will have a higher chance of fitting to what the people out there actually like.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Harro, welcome to AW :welcome:

Interesting concept of creation you have there. The problem with having hundreds of co-authors I think would be direction. Maybe start off with a smaller group and see how it goes first.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I understand what you mean, yet I do think that it is possible to effectively collaborate.

To be clear, by collaborating I don't mean endless discussions. Instead, by implementing voting-mechanisms and rating systems everyone should be able to give their opinion on the ideas and the choices that have to made regarding the development of a story. The result of a vote or ranking of highest rating would be decisive on which ideas are best and which should be developed further.

The collaborating aspect is more about sharing ideas and views on a story which would help other people to also come up with new ideas.

I think when a story is developed this way, so when many people were able to influence the development, the story will have a higher chance of fitting to what the people out there actually like.

Again, what is the point? Why do you care if the story you write is what a voting bloc of people like? Why would you think a group of people participating in writing it would be representative of a body of readers? Though, again, the point of he exercise is lost on me.

I think too many cooks spoil the broth. Voting and rating and what is the point?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
So does one person do the writing while hundreds of people vote on what happens next? Do multiple people write based on the input? What do you do when voters decide to name your MC Boaty McBoatface because this is the internet? How do you determine that everyone who signs up is serious? How do you determine that they're interested in the things you want to write? What do you do when someone introduces a character and then other people take it a direction the originator doesn't want and the originator backs out, taking that character with them? What is the plan to DO with the story once it's done? Who gets credit on it? Who gets profits from sales?

The phrase "too many cooks spoil the broth" is a real thing, and this is it. Collaboration is difficult. It makes more legal and logistical difficulties with every new people that gets involved. Hundreds of people working on one story? It's a disaster waiting to happen, even if it's just voting on where the story goes.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Harro, and welcome to AW.

I think your idea is interesting as an exercise, but I think it would be a nightmare if you're hoping to sell the results to a publisher. How would you divide the proceeds? Who would ultimately decide what's included in the story and what's not? How would you determine the worth of each contributor's work? For example, if one contributor comes up with the idea for a scene, but another actually writes it, and maybe even a third contributor edits it - how would you break that down into shares?

Speaking strictly for myself, this kind of thing makes me want to run screaming in the opposite direction. I write for myself - my ideas, my writing, my editing - with an eye toward potentially selling that writing and putting some money in my pocket. I don't see the value in sharing my ideas and work, and perhaps receiving only a tiny fraction of the money I might have made with it on my own. Not only that, I would be extremely reluctant to join any collaborative project without a contract clearly setting out who the participants are, how the work is to be divided, who owns what portion of the work and how, if the work is sold, the money would be divided up among the participants.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

What do you guys think about this idea? Do you think it will be possible to have a great high-quality story which is created by hundreds of co-authors? Does anyone have any tips for me on how to find people who would want to help me write the very first story this way? Maybe you yourself want to help?

Harro

Maybe you are looking to build a creative canon then be an editor of some sort. Maybe something similar to....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance << Over 190 novels, by different authors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)

The chances of something like this happening, I can only imagine, are next to nill. Else, with your idea, I think you'd have many, potential legal concerns (working with others), landing an agent, and so forth.

J L Louis

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Harro, I tend to agree with others here. When working in engineering, you have a defined goal or need to accomplish. Whether it is a bridge or a minor part of a car, there is really only one end result that can be accomplished, though many paths can get you there. A story is a road to anywhere that can take any path that the author can choose. The end result is the combination of a million choices that the author put down in characters on the page or screen. I could see this being an interesting exercise, with the process likely being far more compelling than the end result.

Inti1996

Registered
Reaction score
You are the first person I hear of that wants to write with multiple people (I rarely see that books and at most I heard of it being done with tv shows/movies) which is interesting and good luck on finding that. I personally always hated working on teams and prefer to do things solo.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. It's an intriguing concept, crowd-sourcing a written work. I could see having people propose ideas and vote on the direction the story takes, sort of a mass, real-time version of Choose Your Own Adventure. However, I think your stumbling block would be the writing itself. Ideas are easy. Getting them down on paper in writing that people actually want to read... that's far trickier.

Think about proofreading. A good proofreader always remembers, "this isn't my work." S/He will suggest changes that highlight the writer's individual style and let it shine. A bad proofreader suggests changes that essentially erase the writer's voice in favor of his/her own style. I think most people have encountered, and been thoroughly irritated by, this sort of bad proofreader at some point in their lives.

Now I have to admit, I've never tried co-authoring a piece with even one other writer, so this is just speculation, but I'd imagine reading over a co-author's work would be similar to proofreading with the "don't make it sound like me" filter reduced or removed. It would be extremely tricky to balance two voices in one work, and the more people you added, the more difficult it would become.

There's a common piece of advice in business that states basically "you should choose your business partner as carefully as you choose your spouse." I always imagined working with a co-author to be an equally challenging undertaking. Your co-author needs to be someone with not only a similar skill-level, but a similar work ethic, vision, sense of humor, etc, so that ideally each enhances the other rather than one dragging the other down. Finding just one other person that's a good match is hard enough. If the singing quartets I've seen form and fall apart are anything to judge by, even four people collaborating creatively, all with equal input, is incredibly difficult to do successfully. A hundred? ... Well, I know I couldn't do it.

In short, I could see this working as a sort of performance piece, with a small number of people (ideally one or two... MAYBE a handful if they all work together really, really well) doing the actual writing and an audience looking on and cheering for the outcomes they like, something like a written version of an improv show. Certainly there are examples of authors writing books one chapter at a time online and building an audience that waits to see what happens the following week, so doing something similar with an added feature of letting the audience vote on the story's direction and writing to order COULD gain an audience.

However, what you're describing sounds more like an improv show that brings the entire audience onto the stage. I just don't see that working out particularly well.

But... if it's something you're really gung-ho to try, I'd say go ahead and give it a shot. Best-case scenario, it works out for you. Who knows? Maybe it'll be the next internet sensation. Worst-case scenario, it flops, in which case you've learned another way to not make a light bulb.

Just be aware of the pitfalls (as people have mentioned upthread) involved with rights in a scenario like this. A story with 100 authors has 100 people with a claim on ownership of that story (and a thousand squabbles about who contributed what and who should get credited how and, if it actually made money, how that money should be alloted). It's highly unlikely that a publisher would touch it for that reason alone, no matter how amazing the finished product.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Harro

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, first of all I have to say that I am quite the optimist. I think that for every problem you just mentioned there is a solution. Although I do acknowledge that these are big challenges (I love challenges). While the exact specifics of how such a website would work is still not totally clear, I’ll try to do my best to describe it.

So, by opening up the development of a story at the very early stage of ideation, you’re already able to pick a direction for the story based on what a group of people actually like (through voting and ratings). The larger this group is, the better it would represent a body of readers. Many new products fail on the market because there is no market fit, by involving the end-users throughout development, the success potential is increased. This is a common used development practice called co-creation and is proven to increase the success potential. This would take it a step further and completely involve the end-user (the reader) throughout the development process.

The story development would begin with the ideation phase, where everyone is able to submit ideas. Any idea is welcome as long as it is not offensive, harmful or anything. A protocol, flagging mechanisms and community managers could make sure of this, just like with a forum. So, in that case, if the crowd collectively decides they want to write a weird story about MC Boaty McBoatface, they can. Because why not? Maybe it will end up in a hilarious surrealistic comedy story.

Yet, as a story is being developed, guidelines will have to be formed along the way. These eventually evolve into strict requirements for each piece of writing that needs to be done. Therefore, restrictions should be placed on what is submitted for that particular project depending on how far it is developed. By giving those who have provided the best ideas and have contributed most to a particular project the power over setting these guidelines and restrictions, they are able to control the core values and directions within the story. These guidelines and restrictions get more elaborate and complex as a project advances.

Another challenge would be to gain the trust of the writers, they need to receive credit for their work and if a story eventually turns out to be marketable the royalty should be shared in a fair way. This could be solved by implementing a kind of point system throughout the development process. The points collected by a writer would represent his/her share in the project based on how valuable their contribution was. The exact design of such a point system and how it would exactly calculate this has to be developed through a trial and error process which runs during the first story projects. This eventually results in a point system which is as fair as possible to every participating writer (hopefully)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You remark above about the challenge of gaining the trust of writers. May I suggest that, rather than start off by flogging your idea to the membership, you take some time to cruise around the forums, engage in some of the threads and give people a chance to get to know you? That will avoid the appearance of using your membership solely to bang this particular drum.

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Harro

Honestly, I think this is a neat idea. Would the stories be published under the name of a corporation or would each writer be credited? I'm not sure how it would work out keeping everyone in touch and on the same page, so to speak, but I find it to be a very intriguing idea!

Harro

Registered
Reaction score
You remark above about the challenge of gaining the trust of writers. May I suggest that, rather than start off by flogging your idea to the membership, you take some time to cruise around the forums, engage in some of the threads and give people a chance to get to know you? That will avoid the appearance of using your membership solely to bang this particular drum.

I’m sorry if I made a bad impression on you. I’m actually rather new to the whole concept of participating on a forum. And to be totally transparent here, I have to admit that my motivation to join this forum was mainly to discuss my idea with creative writers in order to learn from them, improve the idea and perhaps meet enthusiastic people who would want to get involved.

I understand this is not the way to go, I’ll try to also engage in some other threads too!

@The zombies made me
The stories would be published under the name of the writers who had the most influence on the story along with a line saying something like: “facilitated by -organization name-“ and logo.
And maybe a page could be added listing all the writers.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’m sorry if I made a bad impression on you. I’m actually rather new to the whole concept of participating on a forum. And to be totally transparent here, I have to admit that my motivation to join this forum was mainly to discuss my idea with creative writers in order to learn from them, improve the idea and perhaps meet enthusiastic people who would want to get involved.

I understand this is not the way to go, I’ll try to also engage in some other threads too!

You didn't make a bad impression on me. You strike me as well-meaning and very enthusiastic about your project. However, you've also given me the sense that you're both relatively young and relatively new to the business of writing.

I cannot emphasize strongly enough how important it is to make certain you've considered all legalities involved with your project before you begin bringing others on board. The writing community is full of people with big dreams who have talked others in joining them - then had that dream fail, taking everyone's hard work down with it. You might want to have a look at just the index page of AW's invaluable Bewares, Recommendations & Background Checks subforum. If you peruse the listings of agencies, publishers et al, you'll see a lot of grayed-out companies, indicating they are no longer in business. Many of those were started by people with big dreams and the best of intentions, but very little experience in the publishing world. When they went out of business, far too many of these companies broke contracts (and hearts), left royalties unpaid, and in the worst case scenarios, folded without releasing the publication rights back to their authors (or in the really scammy cases, charged the authors for those rights reversions).

Please - before you start bringing other young and inexperienced people on board with you, think long and hard about what you're asking of them, what you'll give them in return, and what you will do if the project goes bust.

C.Harmon

Registered
Reaction score
"Master the rules before you try to break them."

I would recommend getting both a broad and deep understanding of what it means to be a writer before you devote too much time and energy to this idea. It's very intriguing, and honestly fascinates me, but I can't imagine someone as new as you are to the writing world successfully pulling it off. It would be like trying to turn the established concepts in your field of study on its head, but as a first-year university student. Become an expert first, and it'll provide you insight on where and how to break the rules that work.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
YES to this:

I would recommend getting both a broad and deep understanding of what it means to be a writer before you devote too much time and energy to this idea. It's very intriguing, and honestly fascinates me, but I can't imagine someone as new as you are to the writing world successfully pulling it off. It would be like trying to turn the established concepts in your field of study on its head, but as a first-year university student.

Beyond what mrsmig and others have pointed out about who would do the actual writing and own the rights to any of these stories...I would have no desire to read stories like this because part of what I love in the books I read are the individual voices of authors--something that would be homogenized away in this writing-by-committee scheme. It would be like a spectacular cave-aged Cheddar vs. Velveeta; I know which I'd prefer to put in my mouth.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Harro, I’m from Amsterdam in The Netherlands...there already are some websites which enable people to write together, most of them enable 1 person to start off a story with chapter 1 and other people can write chapter 2 and so on...What do you guys think about this idea? Do you think it will be possible to have a great high-quality story which is created by hundreds of co-authors? Does anyone have any tips for me on how to find people who would want to help me write the very first story this way? Maybe you yourself want to help?

Hi! Wow, you live in Amsterdam? It looks like a nice, cycling city.

I've heard a few, young writers mention participating in a mass-story, written by several people, but just as a fun, writing exercise, not for payment.

Like others have mentioned, I'm not sure whether trying to pay several authors would be legally viable, as there's always the possibility that at least one writer might not be satisfied with splitting an amount with everyone else because they might feel they've written more than others, and therefore, deserve higher payment.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, first of all I have to say that I am quite the optimist. I think that for every problem you just mentioned there is a solution. Although I do acknowledge that these are big challenges (I love challenges). While the exact specifics of how such a website would work is still not totally clear, I’ll try to do my best to describe it.

So, by opening up the development of a story at the very early stage of ideation, you’re already able to pick a direction for the story based on what a group of people actually like (through voting and ratings). The larger this group is, the better it would represent a body of readers. Many new products fail on the market because there is no market fit, by involving the end-users throughout development, the success potential is increased. This is a common used development practice called co-creation and is proven to increase the success potential. This would take it a step further and completely involve the end-user (the reader) throughout the development process.

The story development would begin with the ideation phase, where everyone is able to submit ideas. Any idea is welcome as long as it is not offensive, harmful or anything. A protocol, flagging mechanisms and community managers could make sure of this, just like with a forum. So, in that case, if the crowd collectively decides they want to write a weird story about MC Boaty McBoatface, they can. Because why not? Maybe it will end up in a hilarious surrealistic comedy story.

Yet, as a story is being developed, guidelines will have to be formed along the way. These eventually evolve into strict requirements for each piece of writing that needs to be done. Therefore, restrictions should be placed on what is submitted for that particular project depending on how far it is developed. By giving those who have provided the best ideas and have contributed most to a particular project the power over setting these guidelines and restrictions, they are able to control the core values and directions within the story. These guidelines and restrictions get more elaborate and complex as a project advances.

Another challenge would be to gain the trust of the writers, they need to receive credit for their work and if a story eventually turns out to be marketable the royalty should be shared in a fair way. This could be solved by implementing a kind of point system throughout the development process. The points collected by a writer would represent his/her share in the project based on how valuable their contribution was. The exact design of such a point system and how it would exactly calculate this has to be developed through a trial and error process which runs during the first story projects. This eventually results in a point system which is as fair as possible to every participating writer (hopefully)

Oh, you want to sell this? ... I don't know that I could come up with an idea more guaranteed to cause nothing but dissension and a spate of lawsuits.

With ONE cowriter, even a close friend or family member, someone you know and trust, you lock down a contract laying out the division of rights and any resulting assets before you start, even if it's 'everything is 50-50.' To think about that later, or to divide up by how much people think other people contributed? That's just guaranteed to end in legal fees.

As for the idea of it, you do you, but it sounds like some kind of torture to me -- like 'well, you can serve the jail time, or write a book by committee, with voting,' way, that'd result in, 'what jail would it be? Like a nicer jail? I'm thinking.'

I don't think I know any writers who'd be in any way interested in something like that, but god only knows.

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score

@The zombies made me
The stories would be published under the name of the writers who had the most influence on the story along with a line saying something like: “facilitated by -organization name-“ and logo.
And maybe a page could be added listing all the writers.

It's an interesting concept. I could see a lot of legal issues arising but still, intriguing!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the idea's interesting, but not when run by someone who's completely new to writing and the publishing industry in general. The only way I personally would ever be interested in something like this is if it's commissioned by a proper imprint, and there's someone highly experienced moderating all discussions and occasionally putting her foot down when the writers inevitably reach an impasse, and if all the writers involved are represented by legit agents so all the legal bases are covered. Though I can't think of why any agent would want their client to be involved in such a potentially messy project.

Oh man, just thinking of this scenario has exhausted me. :D

Harro

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the responses and feedback! Although it is mainly very sceptic I appreciate it a lot! It really helps me in understanding my own idea and how I should communicate it to others.

And to set things straight, I reckon that to realize this idea it would be a multiyear process of trying things out, learning from it and adapting it. It won’t be perfect and completely functional from the start off. Therefore, the aim is to initially start off with writing short and rather simple stories with medium sized groups of writers. Low risk projects with minimal investments, mainly for testing and fun which can also function as a good writing exercises. Lessons learned from doing this will help improve and finetune the website.

Because the idea would be dependent on community, sharing and collaboration, the stories will initially have a creative commons license. So, everyone would be free to share, copy and redistribute the material. They can adapt it and build upon it for any purpose, even commercially. But only under the term that they give appropriate credit to the creator, include a link to the license and indicate if changes were made.

Another aim is to build a team of enthusiastic individuals who believe in the concept and who have the needed experience and knowledge within this industry. Important, because as mentioned by some of you, I indeed lack the necessary writing/publishing experience.

When it turns out that the system works, and the stories get better and better and maybe even appear to be marketable, a different license could be used. At that point after having finished multiple story projects, hopefully enough knowledge and experience is gathered to determine how to to fairly distribute the royalties over the participating writers. By agreeing to an exclusive license when a writer uploads their work they keep their copyright and Intellectual property rights, yet they are bound to the other participating writers through the website. They cannot go and take the story and develop it somewhere else other than on the website. Remember that a writer doesn’t upload a whole story at once. It is a process where everyone has an input. The goal is to create stories which are for and from everyone. Nobody alone has the right to say it is their story. Many ideas that are integrated into the story will be inspired by the ideas of others. It’s a product of combined effort from which a story has emerged that nobody alone could have created.

@Marissa D, I don’t think such a process would inevitably lead to a homogenized style of writing. Image a book in which each scene is written by a writer who is best at describing that particular scene. Someone who is best at writing exciting thrillers would have written the action scene, someone who is best at writing romantic love stories would write the scene in which the protagonist meets the love of his life. In your analogy; it would be a cheese platter instead of cheddar.;)