Trump Warns Panamanian Pres. of "Repercussions"

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
...if the president of Panama does not intervene in or overturn a legal decision made in a Panamanian court that went against a Trump hotel.

NO I AM NOT KIDDING.

I thought about existing threads but I didn't see anything and it's so egregious and shocking (just when you think nothing can shock you with them anymore...) bolding mine.

In short, the Trump Int'l hotel in Panama was losing business, was bought by someone who sought to strip the brand off, fired some ppl who had worked there, and the brand fought back, went to court, and lost to the new owner of the property. Then the Trump org sent a letter to the President of Panama and other gov't officials saying they were violating treaties, asking them directly to intervene in the court decision and saying there could be repercussions if they did not. I ... yes, really. The AP and WaPo have the letter.

Lawyers representing President Trump’s company last month wrote directly to the president of Panama, asking him to intervene in a legal fight over the Trump International Hotel in the capital — and warning that the case could have “repercussions” for Panama’s reputation.

The law firm, Panama-based Britton and Iglesias, wrote in Spanish to President Juan Carlos Varela on March 22 to “urgently request your influence in relation to a commercial dispute regarding the Trump hotel.”

At the time, the majority owner of the Trump hotel — Cypriot-born investor Orestes Fintiklis — had kicked out the Trump Organization as the hotel’s manager, after a ruling from a low-level Panamanian judge. The president’s company was seeking to retake control....

On Monday, Panama’s foreign secretary, Isabel de Saint Malo, told the Associated Press that her office had also received a copy.

“It is a letter that urges Panama’s executive branch to interfere in an issue clearly of the judicial branch,” de Saint Malo said. “I don’t believe the executive branch has a position to take while the issue is in the judicial process.”...

In the letter to Panama’s president, the Trump Organization’s attorneys said Trump’s company had been treated poorly by the Panamanian courts — so poorly, in fact, that its mistreatment violated a 1983 treaty between the United States and Panama governing investments.

In particular, the letter cites “irregularities” in decisions by Cheng. The lawyers say that Cheng had moved too quickly and had ignored an existing international arbitration case over the hotel.

“This situation is currently before the courts, but it has repercussions for the Panamanian state, which is your responsibility,” said the letter, signed by attorney Eric Britton

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Pfft. If he couldn't bully frickin' Mexico...

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Saw this yesterday. I'm trying to figure out if there's any other way to read this than one government threatening another over a deal between two businesses, one of which is coincidentally tied to the current US president.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Wow, That Man is not making the slightest attempt to disguise his corruption.

I'm thinking that he doesn't even understand it as such. Like a toddler, his sense of right and wrong is completely defined by his wants. Anyone who doesn't give in to his desires must be screamed at and pummeled with his tiny fists.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I hold all Republicans in Congress and every enabler of That Man complicit in and responsible for this calamity.

Me too. They are the root system that feeds and strengthens the weed, of which That Man is merely the dandelion head; cut him down, and the roots will just send up another...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Pity poor Panama - when the Americans got rid of Noriega, they thought that was it. Now the Americans want to turn their government from a dictatorship to a sockpuppetocracy.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Why didn't Donald Trump warn the American people about repercussions?

And how is this not a blatant volation of the emoluments clause?

caw

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
If this farce weren't so catastrophic, it'd be funny. Sigh.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But what about Hillary's emails?!