How destructive are formatting problems in the query email?

Derimed

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am sending out query letters, and there are some formatting issues that I don't seem to have too much control over. For example, the text seems a bit larger than 12 point, though in the Word document where I made the query it's fine. More unfortunately, somehow my copy-paste of the query axed the line between the two main query letter paragraphs, and I sent it to a good agent not having caught this.

Are agents usually forgiving of such problems in creating query emails, or will they trash the query for something like this? I worked on my query, manuscript and synopsis for a very long time, but I don't know if something like a missed line separating paragraphs will be excused regardless of my general preparations.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If your work is stellar then an agent won't reject you for bad formatting; but if it's so bad it makes your work impossible to read, then yes, it's going to cause problems.

Next time, sort out the formatting before you send it.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does first e-mailing it to yourself show you whether or not the formatting is OK?

If your work is stellar then an agent won't reject you for bad formatting; but if it's so bad it makes your work impossible to read, then yes, it's going to cause problems.

Next time, sort out the formatting before you send it.

TSJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused, do agents actually pay attention to the font size in query letters? It's four lines of text and only a few hundred words, don't you just send it as what ever default comes out of your email program (in my case, gmail)?

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you're already doing this, but often you can Ctrl+A to highlight all the text in the email, then click a 'remove formatting' button (it looks like an underlined capital T with a cross next to it). It does remove centering, intentional italicisation etc. but gets rid of anything else you might not want, then you can easily proofread it.