Car troubles- 1940s

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. First of all, I should disclaim that I am NOT any kind of mechanical expert. In fact I'm probably the opposite, lol. There's a scene in my current WIP where my MC (who is a fairly talented mechanic) repairs his friend's car after it suddenly broke down and stopped working. I want it to be a fairly minor problem that's easily resolved. Except, with my lack of technical knowledge, I have no idea what that might be. For context, this takes place in 1940. I don't need there to be a high level of detail, I just need it to be authentic and need it to make sense. Thanks!

Last edited:

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
You can try to incorporate the old 'staples' of minor things that can go wrong with a car into the scene. Dirty spark-plug(s), broken fan belt, low oil etc, etc. A mechanically minded person would check all of those sorts of things first :) Hope that helps.

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it does! Thank you! I should mention, though, that the car is parked on the street; so my protagonist might not have the best view of some of these problems.

Last edited:

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
And if it is a lady who's car it is that's in trouble, and you want to make the scene a little 'interesting' perhaps, a broken fan belt can be temporarily fixed with a pair of her pantyhose/stockings :)

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Overheated engine? Forgot to top up the water in the radiator? Easily solved with a few jugs of water. If it was steaming it looked worse than it was.

There was a very steep hairpin hill over here called the Devil's Elbow, where there were signs at the bottom - together with a tap - warning drivers to top up their radiator water before attempting to drive up the hill.

Last edited:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
A cursory Internet search suggests that while it may have been possible to use stockings (or any long string of fabric) on an older deep groove V pulley of the era, at best it would last only a few blocks.