DOES A NO RESPONSE ON MY FULL MEAN IT'S BEING REJECTED?

Aldrey

Writer in the making
Registered
Reaction score
Dmbeucler, I started querying my novel in June 2017. I've been quering for 10 months and during that time I wrote the second standalone novel to my proposed series. I am in the final editing stages of that novel, and I do not want to start a third one while I have two novels in limbo. My hope and dream is to be under contract when I write the third book.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Thedrellum. I am a Query Tracker premium member. However, stats are not provided regarding how much time passes bewteen a person getting a full request and then an offer. Sometimes members will mention it, but most times they don't. I find tons of people listing the date of the request for the full and then there's nothing else after months and sometimes years have passed.

Firstly, right there with you - waiting is so tough! OK, now I'm going to tell you about another Query Tracker tool that you can use to obsess over (you're welcome!). If you go to the agent's timeline, then you can choose only show queries with submissions (bottom right of options). Then you can see entries of requested submissions and the response, and how long it took (when you click on each individual one). Under reports, there is also one for submission replies and submission response times.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Eventually, yes it does. It's hard to define "eventually", however. I once had a major NY agent "lose" my manuscript on an assistant's desk for 18 months. Then asked for a resubmission, which was sent. Then never responded again.

At the other end of the spectrum, it can take less than zero time. I had another major NY agent, to whom I had never submitted anything, seek me out at a conference for the single purpose of telling me that she didn't know how she could sell my novel (which she apparently had seen a portion of as part of a contest submission to the conference).

I've stopped submitting stuff anywhere.

caw

Last edited:

Aldrey

Writer in the making
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, blackbird. And you're right. I got a rejection today from the 3-month agent. I'm sure the others will pass, too. I'm going to submit book 2 to Pitch wars. If it's not accepted, I'll query it a couple of months and then I'm done forever trying to get an agent/bookdeal. I'll continue selfpubbing. Last year I made 24K with my selfpubs.

ByTXP

Strange Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your rejection, Aldrey. I don't have representation (yet, knock on wood) but I have fulls out with three agents, one of whom estimates three months as her minimum response time. Another agent who had asked for a full also projected three months, but wound up taking eight months with it before I got an R. It's always tempting to try to read the entrails, but as of now I'm just trying to let the responses come when they come.