Named chapters or no?

S.I. Mansson

Registered
Reaction score
So this might be a really simple and stupid question, but I've been thinking about if for the last few days...

I've always named my chapters, rather than just writing "Chapter 1", "Chapter 2", "Chapter 3" and so on. I really like my chapter titles and feel they mesh well with the overall tone of my MS. But now I'm seriously starting to consider the query-process. I'm not there yet, but think I might be by the time summer hits. And I'm wondering if editors and agents would be okay with chapter titles, or if it's a requirement that my submitted pages are simply called "Chapter 1" and so on. The rules are pretty strict about line spacing and font, I wonder if it's the same with chapter titles?

Thankful for any thoughts on this!

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
This is the only experience I've had with it, so keep that in mind. My first MS was a memoir in which I titled all of the chapters. One of the small publishers who rejected it after reading the full told me never to name chapters, and that it gave away what was going to happen in the chapter, and she would have rather just read the chapters and discovered it for herself. Again, this was only one experience, but since then, I just number my chapters.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
As this is one of he easiest things to change, I strongly doubt anyone is going to reject because you used chapter titles.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use Chapter Titles, but if I did I wonder what the answer would be if I asked myself -

Why am I using Chapter Titles?

What difference would it make if they weren't there?

Whose benefit are they really there for?

Does the reader care whether I use titles or not?

folclor

Left-Handed Writing Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angrypossumpublishing.xyz
In my first project I didn't use chapter titles and in this one I'm trying to. It's a different way of doing things and they may not stick. But I'd agree with lizmonster that you likely won't be rejected for using them.

S.I. Mansson

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the great responses to my silly little question, guys!

This is the only experience I've had with it, so keep that in mind. My first MS was a memoir in which I titled all of the chapters. One of the small publishers who rejected it after reading the full told me never to name chapters, and that it gave away what was going to happen in the chapter, and she would have rather just read the chapters and discovered it for herself. Again, this was only one experience, but since then, I just number my chapters.

A very good point! Personally, I like to think it can make the reader curious about a chapter, if you name it carefully, but... yeah, I can see where she's coming from.

As this is one of he easiest things to change, I strongly doubt anyone is going to reject because you used chapter titles.

Yeah, hopefully. I mean, it's not like this is a hill I'm gonna die on either way, and like you said, it's easy to change. I was mostly curious what's the consensus around this stuff and interestingly, there doesn't seem to be one. Hmm...

I don't use Chapter Titles, but if I did I wonder what the answer would be if I asked myself -

Why am I using Chapter Titles?

What difference would it make if they weren't there?

Whose benefit are they really there for?

Does the reader care whether I use titles or not?

Hehe, the answers to those questions, for me, mostly boil down to enhancing the tone. Think of authors like Diana Wynne Jones, who, in my opinion, used chapter titles masterfully for humor and atmosphere. And no, the reader probably wouldn't care, but they might not mind either. Still, it's not like this is a major issue, I was mostly curious. :)

In my first project I didn't use chapter titles and in this one I'm trying to. It's a different way of doing things and they may not stick. But I'd agree with lizmonster that you likely won't be rejected for using them.

Yeah, it's hard to explain, but I do feel like they add a little something extra, at least on certain projects. I've reverted to numbering the chapters before, but in this particular manuscript, I find it feels... right with titles. But again, I don't want to use them if agents are generally turned off by them.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You like them, so use them. As other's said, it's not going to do any harm and they're easily removed. :Hug2:

High Five- twice!! :snoopy:

Last edited:

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
So this might be a really simple and stupid question, but I've been thinking about if for the last few days...

I've always named my chapters, rather than just writing "Chapter 1", "Chapter 2", "Chapter 3" and so on. I really like my chapter titles and feel they mesh well with the overall tone of my MS. But now I'm seriously starting to consider the query-process. I'm not there yet, but think I might be by the time summer hits. And I'm wondering if editors and agents would be okay with chapter titles, or if it's a requirement that my submitted pages are simply called "Chapter 1" and so on. The rules are pretty strict about line spacing and font, I wonder if it's the same with chapter titles?

Thankful for any thoughts on this!

I don't think agents would mind chapter titles. If anything, they might actually like them (otherwise they'll just ignore them, because it's not such a big deal as others have said).

Personally, I like books that have titled chapters. I think they give an air of mystery to each chapter (because the titles often aren't that obvious - they don't actually give away the story; they just pique your interest). I can remember a few books that had titled chapters - The Night Circus, A Room with a View, Twilight.

Bertrand Russel's biography (written by Caroline Moorehead) had very intriguing chapter titles. D.L. Shepherd, I don't know why your publisher thought that naming chapters would give away the story. I think it would be perfectly fine to use titles in a memoirs (I especially like them in memoirs - I think they just give a little something extra to every chapter).

S.I. Mansson

Registered
Reaction score
You like them, so use them. As other's said, it's not going to do any harm and they're easily removed. :Hug2:

High Five- twice!! :snoopy:

Yeah, that's encouraging! Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for agents, like formatting seems to be. :') Thank you so much!

OMG HIGH FIVES!!!1!!!1 :Hail::Hail::Hail::Hail::Hail:

Last edited:

S.I. Mansson

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I like books that have titled chapters. I think they give an air of mystery to each chapter (because the titles often aren't that obvious - they don't actually give away the story; they just pique your interest). I can remember a few books that had titled chapters - The Night Circus, A Room with a View, Twilight.

Bertrand Russel's biography (written by Caroline Moorehead) had very intriguing chapter titles. D.L. Shepherd, I don't know why your publisher thought that naming chapters would give away the story. I think it would be perfectly fine to use titles in a memoirs (I especially like them in memoirs - I think they just give a little something extra to every chapter).

Same! Like with everything else, I guess it's all about how you use them. Maybe not make them too obvious, y'know? My favorite thing is when the chapter titles have several meanings at the same time. I've got a few of those in my MS, and I'm riddiculously proud of 'em. XD

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I like chapter titles because if I want to reread a section, the title makes it easier to find. Also helps when I'm writing to refind a section I've decided to rewrite.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely does not matter. Stephen King uses them in his Dark Tower series. I doubt any agent would reject a manuscript based on the use or non-use of chapter titles.

caw

Inti1996

Registered
Reaction score
Most authors I have read label their chapters so I highly dobut its a big deal.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Use them! It's definitely not a big deal and you won't get rejected for them.

I like them because it's the only way I keep track of what's-happening-where for editing.

fudgetusk

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't stop Clive Barker naming his chapters in WEAVEWORLD. Didn't give the game away...if you're clever enough.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I bang my forehead trying to come up with a sensible reason why anybody asks this question (which we've had here many many times before. The most minimal perusal of novels at the bookstore or library will demonstrate that it is complete nonsense.

caw

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Except the question was not "should I title my chapters", but rather "should I include the titles at the query stage".

I.e., a question of formatting which, generally speaking, if it made any difference to the agent, they'd specify yeah or nay.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Except the question was not "should I title my chapters", but rather "should I include the titles at the query stage".

In which case, as I seem to have misunderstood the intent of the original question, why even mention this detail at all? It seems entirely irrelevant to the purpose of a query, which is to summarize the story in the most succinct manner in order to attract the attention of an agent. There's no reason to mention formatting things like chapters at all, that I can see.

caw

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
My most successful adult romance novel has chapter names--my editor said she loved them by the way--and the YA book that nabbed me my new agent also has chapter titles. He never made a comment about them, either way. For me, chap titles pique readers' interest when done the right way. Use them if that's your calling; as others have said they can always be removed. Same with prologues, though these do have bad press with many agents/editors. Again, one of my most successful mainstream novel has a (short) prologue and I see them all the time with newly minted books. It's all in the execution.

S.I. Mansson

Registered
Reaction score
Gaaah! I'm so behind on this thread! Sorry guys, been deep in the revision trenches as of late! It's nice to hear that so many people are in favor of chapter titles, though! I think I am going to include them, but, like some of you have pointed out, I'll polish them a few extra times to make sure they don't give anything away. Here's to hoping I'm clever enough!

Thank you so much to all of you for responding!

S.I. Mansson

Registered
Reaction score
I bang my forehead trying to come up with a sensible reason why anybody asks this question (which we've had here many many times before. The most minimal perusal of novels at the bookstore or library will demonstrate that it is complete nonsense.

caw

Um... okay? Sorry, I guess...