Writers Magazines

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I was coming back from a trip to Anchorage for work, and decided to stop by Barnes and Noble to pick up a magazine or two in case I was unable to sleep inflight (ended up not happening - zonked out in minutes LOL)... Anyway, long story short, when I was in the store, I saw a literal cornucopia of magazines that seemed to fit into several different areas - some looked as though they were quarterlies published with short works, others seemed geared to be guides or articles on how to write better, write for a certain market, etc. Here's just a short list of some that stuck out visually to me:

Writers digest
Poets and Writers
Tin House Candy
Asimov Science Fiction
Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction
Idler -The Art of Living
Alfred Hitchcock mystery magazine
Poetry
Mystery Science
Writers Forum
Writers Chronicle
Locus
Noon
Barrow Street
Space and Time
The Writer

Any magazines others subscribe to as a part of their practice in writing/reading/research, etc?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many of those are not "writers" magazines, or magazines devoted to being or becoming a writer. None are worth subscribing to, find a copy from two years ago and it's essentially the same articles. Read them at the library.

The ones in your list that are anthologies are different. Read them if you like stories in the genre.

FWIW, the vast majority of current magazines are no longer really magazines but rather articles about the products advertised in the magazine. Pick any magazine off the shelf, from Southern Living to Guns and Ammo, Vogue, Car and Driver, Good Housekeeping or Family Handyman and you'll see what I mean.

Jeff

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I subscribed to the first two magazines on your list when I was first trying to get published.

Writers Digest is worth reading when you're just starting out - maybe about six months' worth. Then it gets incredibly repetitious, and they don't seem to vet their advertisers at all. There are a lot of scammy operations with prominent ads in WD, and I hate that inexperienced wannabees might get sucked in by them because they appear in a "reputable" magazine.

Poets & Writers was okay. To me it seemed geared more toward poetry than prose, and more toward educators and literary writers rather than non-fic or genre fiction authors. Your mileage may vary.