Does it sound like french?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarahani

Banned
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am now facing a little issue. Last weekend I posted a horrible query letter under the title "I am not scared of hell". Of course I got some spanking for it. And after reading the stickies, I burned that first version and rewrote the second version. From there 2 members, they seem very professional, gave me feedback. But... there's always a but, both of them noticed that, besides some stupid mistakes I made, my grammar seems to be unusual. In a sense, It's not always wrong but just "unusual" as they express it. And of course, they discover that I am actually writing a novel in English, which is not my native language. Now, I am posting my query letter here, not to be reviewed as a query since there's a section for it but I would like, if it's possible, you to tell me how unusual my wording, grammar and else is? Thanks.

I am seeking representation for my first novel, OUR OWN VERSION OF BEING. The book is a 100.000-word science fiction written in two major points of view.
It’s been X years since Priscilla Gellinis enrolled the Round Table, a paramilitary organization, which only purpose is the protection and preservation of humanity against its most lethal nemesis: The microbiome. As an elite soldier, Priscilla’s mission is to contain any viral outbreak by eradicating the contaminated agents. These sick people display supra human features but also a ferocious behavior.

To fight them, the organization provides its soldiers with Panacea, a nootropic. The elixir enhances Priscilla’s sensory ability turning her into an empath. All goes awry when Priscilla, teamed up with Shannon, is assigned a special mission to Hambarde, the city she left for so long. There she meets a troubadour named Monsieur with his adoptive daughter. Monsieur is a contaminated agent living among the healthy humans since he has learned to control the negative side effect of the virus. Confused and torn between sympathy for the artist and her duty towards humanity, Priscilla will have to deny one to save the other.

Shannon Zachaire, Priscilla’s teammate, is a fearless elite soldier. The Panacea has gifted him with such an incredible capacity of regeneration that he seems immunized even against aging. Unfortunately, the blessing is also a curse since it slowly deprives him from his senses. Having already lost his sense of touch and of taste, he is sinking into loneliness and madness. But Shannon’s spirit is revived when he is sent to Hambarde. There, he is reunited with his past love, Leodisse Schrodel and will also face a difficult choice between setting down with love and moving forward with his duty.

Inspired by a dissertation entitled “Imperfect Trinity: or what does it mean to be human?” I have written, the book is an investigation of the universal theme of consciousness and identity.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sarahani. I haven't seen the original query, but here goes.

(Also, don't surprised if the mods move this to the query section, just by nature of it being a query.)

I am seeking representation for my first novel, <--- It's not necessary to state this. Also, the title an word count information usually goes at the end. OUR OWN VERSION OF BEING. The book is a 100.000-word science fiction (either say it is a Science Fiction novel, or work of science fiction. As stated, in English, it feels like a word or phrase is missing.) written in two major points of view. ("written in dual POV" might work better)

It’s been X years since Priscilla Gellinis enrolled in the Round Table, a paramilitary organization, which only purpose is the protection and preservation of humanity against its most lethal nemesis: The microbiome.(This should read as: "Which only serves one purpose: the protection and..." or "whose only purpose is...") As an elite soldier, Priscilla’s mission is to contain any viral outbreak by eradicating the contaminated agents. These sick people display supra superhuman features but also a and ferocious behavior.

To fight them, the organization provides its soldiers with Panacea, a nootropic.<--- Is this perhaps intended to be "neurotoxin?" The elixir enhances Priscilla’s sensory ability turning her into an empath. All goes awry when Priscilla, teamed up with Shannon, is assigned a special mission to Hambarde, the city she left for so long. There she meets a troubadour named Monsieur with his adoptive daughter. Monsieur is a contaminated agent living among the healthy humans since he has learned to control the negative side effects of the virus. Confused and torn between sympathy for the artist and her duty towards humanity, Priscilla will have to deny one to save the other.

Shannon Zachaire, Priscilla’s teammate, is a fearless elite soldier. The Panacea has gifted him with such an incredible capacity of regeneration that he's been rendered almost immortal seems immunized even against aging. Unfortunately, the blessing is also a curse since it slowly deprives him from his senses. Having already lost his sense of touch and of taste, he is sinking into loneliness and madness. But Shannon’s spirit is revived when he is sent to Hambarde. There, he is reunited with his past love, Leodisse Schrodel and will also face a difficult choice between setting down with love and moving forward with his duty.

Inspired by a dissertation entitled “Imperfect Trinity: or what does it mean to be human?” I have written, the book is an investigation of the universal theme of consciousness and identity.Unless the dissertation was published somewhere noteworthy, it doesn't really matter for a query.

Here's where I have to give you some blunt, but hopefully helpful, criticism. Yes, you can tell this was written by someone who isn't a native English speaker. Your grammar is good, but there are some nuances between the two languages that you're missing. It's likely these same stumbles are in your book.

Also be aware that Shannon is most often a female name in English. Put a name like Shannon next to a name like Leodisse, which would likely have the diminutive form of "Leo," and most English-speaking readers will assume that Shannon is a woman and Leo is a man. (They may both be men; I don't know from your query.)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sarahani, this is, first of all, not the place to post for crit. All crits belong in the Share Your Work section.

Second, since you already have a crit thread on this very query (even if it's not directed specifically at whether your writing reads as ESL), this is a duplicate thread. Duplicate threads are frowned on by the AW mods, and yours will probably be locked as a result.

The thing to do is head back over to your original thread and ask people to look at it again, with an eye toward identifying where your unusual constructions occur.

Sarahani

Banned
Reaction score
Sarahani, this is, first of all, not the place to post for crit. All crits belong in the Share Your Work section.

Second, since you already have a crit thread on this very query (even if it's not directed specifically at whether your writing reads as ESL), this is a duplicate thread. Duplicate threads are frowned on by the AW mods, and yours will probably be locked as a result.

The thing to do is head back over to your original thread and ask people to look at it again, with an eye toward identifying where your unusual constructions occur.

That is completely true. That's the reason why I have specified that I am not seeking for a query critique but for grammar and syntax analysis.

Sarahani

Banned
Reaction score
I please request an AW moderator to close this thread. Thank you. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.