Sask. Junior Hockey Team Bus Involved in Fatal Collision

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Population of Humboldt is under 6000 people. I was raised in a town that size. I'll bet that team is half the high-school boys. And everyone in town will know at least one of them, if they aren't actually related. As you say, a terrible thing.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's just horrific -- RCMP saying 14 dead, 14 injured from the bus (that's the entirety of the bus, including players, coaches, driver), three of the injured in critical condition.

For those neither Canadian nor into hockey, a similar incident involving a jr team from Swift Current some 30 years ago that killed four players is still remembered. As frimble says the impact of something like this is going to be so overwhelming for the town, the area, the league...

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Population of Humboldt is under 6000 people. I was raised in a town that size. I'll bet that team is half the high-school boys. And everyone in town will know at least one of them, if they aren't actually related. As you say, a terrible thing.

It's not a house team; it's a SJHL team. The kids are likely from all over the place.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Now 15 dead. -- CBC article with details about some of the players.

Here's a NYT piece discussing a bit about the impact of the tragedy.

Only four of the team’s 24 players are from Humboldt. The rest moved there from towns across Saskatchewan and neighboring provinces, and live with local families.

“They become part of the family,” said Mr. Eaton, who took many into his own home over 10 years, growing so close he has been invited to weddings....

The town and the team have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of grief and support they’ve received since the accident. Hotels offered family members of the victims free accommodation. A Go Fund Me webpage for the team, raised more than $1.5 million in 21 hours.

“It certainly affects all the Prairie Provinces,” said Kevin Garinger, the team’s president and the local director of education. “It’s unbelievable how widespread this is and it’s well beyond Saskatchewan, Alberta and Manitoba.”

Also, :heart: Canada -- Westjet has moved stuff around to have larger planes available for runs to Sask, and is offering assistance to family members trying to get to Humboldt.

Since many of our flights to Saskatoon this weekend are full due to Spring Break, we have swapped a larger aircraft in to operate WestJet flight WS452 from Calgary to Saskatoon tonight at 8:00 p.m. and we will continue to evaluate our flights in the coming days to ensure we do everything we can to help make seats available to Saskatoon.

For anyone needing to get to Saskatoon, please call us ... and indicate that you are flying due to the incident in Humboldt and one of our WestJetters will assist you.

If you know of anyone in the Broncos hockey family who needs assistance getting to Saskatoon, please share this with them so they are aware

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
The Go Fund Me set up is closing in on $10 million.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The symbol is a hockey stick on the porch. They are everywhere across Canada...

https://globalnews.ca/news/4135286/...umboldt-tragedy-by-putting-out-hockey-sticks/

montrealers-honour-victims-of-humboldt-tragedy-by-putting-out-hockey-sticks

montrealers-honour-victims-of-humboldt-tragedy-by-putting-out-hockey-sticks

-cb

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Dear God...literally heart-wrenching

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
The 16th fatality, just btw, was Dayna Brons, a trainer with the team, and the only woman on the bus.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was an interview on NPR yesterday, one young man with a severed spinal cord -> paraplegic. He was upbeat though I imagine the full weight of his grief has yet to sink in. But he's already looking forward to Ice Sledge Hockey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LELQQYOwF_s

Still incredibly sad. :(

Last edited: