Cover of Suzanne Palmer's book Finder

AW Amazon Store

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: April is National Poetry Month. Why do you read poetry?

Threaded View

In the vast expanse of center field Larry M's Avatar
    I rarely read poetry.

However, a few months ago, while teaching a vocabulary lesson for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade small groups, using Robert Marzano's Teaching Basic and Advanced Vocabulary, one of the modals in the book listed poetry terms, and it made me stop and notice. The word 'limerick' sort of jumped out at me, and I took a side trip and read several (clean) limericks to the students.

That lead me to spending two weeks teaching the students to write limericks. I wrote a dozen or more myself during this time, even submitting several sets to various publications. Most of the kids enjoyed the exercise, and many of them produced funny and correct forms of the short poetry.

Several students told me they were so inspired, they went to the library to check out books of poetry.

The whole thing made me realize that while I had been an avid poetry reader as a kid, I had forgotten the power of this form of writing.

I especially like the limerick form of poetry because I enjoy the humor and the rhyme and meter pattern.
    Last edited by Larry M; 04-06-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    Larry

I teach, tweet, blog, & blog, write books, run a forum, ...