• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Rearranging Scenes / Chapters in Revision

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
So, question for you all: do you rearrange scenes / chapters after you’ve finished your manuscript draft?

I’ve been lurking on a couple of the revision threads with interest, and I keep seeing folks mention how they will note the main points of their chapters / scenes (it varies) on index cards and rearrange as needed, or plug and drop in new spots on Scrivener if they have it. I’m fascinated by this particular part of revision because this concept just boggles my mind. Wondering if it’s because I’m a plotser, meaning I have loose notes when I’m beginning a project and I tend to write pivotal scenes, often jumping all over in my timeline, and then fleshing out what happens in between as things solidify for me. I always kinda know whereabouts a scene takes place in my storyline, but I may end up being off as to whether it was say at the 50% or 66% mark depending on how much I add in between. During revisions, I may need to cut or add a few scenes but I have never had to rearrange scenes. Is this because I was subconsciously juggling the scenes in my head while pantsing along? Intriguing, as I don’t know.

For those of you who do rearrange, can you give examples as to why and how you do this? What difference has it made for your story? And for those who don’t do this (like me), why not? What is it about your writing process that negates the necessity for this?

~Winks, who is quite curious. Enough that the question is bugging the heck out of her!

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP crime thriller is constructed with many 'mobile' scenes. I have a couple of characters carrying the story along chronologically in the present, while another four are featured in a series of flashbacks. The flashback scenes are not chronological and are inserted into the story based on plot, pacing and effect requirements. I'm 60,000 words into the novel at the moment and it's working very well, IMO, although I will reassess if my two trusty readers find fault at the end.

The reason I used this method is because for the story to work, I need to reveal some important information very early on, which will, I hope, lead readers to think they know what is going on. The flashbacks turn these assumptions on their head and allow me to make the readers question what they think they know. It calls for a lot of fine tuning, with adjustments back and forth as I come up with new twists and turns, but it's a lot of fun to write

I've had this idea on the backburner for a few years, but after finishing a couple of other novels, I now feel I'm up to the challenge.

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
I'll do it mid-draft. Did it just today actually. I'm 85k into a first draft and as I often do, I realized this particular moment needed to happen sooner. So it was going back. Which led to some rearranging. I do it all sort of organically. I don't have Scrivener, or note cards. Mostly just in my head. Leads to headaches. >.> But it's the only way I know how to work. I would never be any good at building railroad tracks or something. I'd get down the line and be like, Oh, I forgot this.

I can be way off sometimes in placement of scenes I know will be in the story. Usually it's things moving up, but every once in a while you move back. A major moment in the last book got pushed back to give it more weight.

tiddlywinks

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Yes. If it makes the story better/clearer. Which it sometimes does.

caw

Okay, follow-up question for you, blac. How do you know when you need to do that? What are the triggers for you personally.

I’m asking because, though I haven’t had it happen yet, it may come up at some point, so I’d like to learn.

My WIP crime thriller is constructed with many 'mobile' scenes. I have a couple of characters carrying the story along chronologically in the present, while another four are featured in a series of flashbacks. The flashback scenes are not chronological and are inserted into the story based on plot, pacing and effect requirements. I'm 60,000 words into the novel at the moment and it's working very well, IMO, although I will reassess if my two trusty readers find fault at the end.

Ooh! Nice example. I could see how choosing just where and when to insert the flashbacks might be a careful balance and trial and error perhaps. Sounds like a neat idea, screen.

I'll do it mid-draft. Did it just today actually. I'm 85k into a first draft and as I often do, I realized this particular moment needed to happen sooner. So it was going back. Which led to some rearranging. I do it all sort of organically. I don't have Scrivener, or note cards. Mostly just in my head. Leads to headaches. >.> But it's the only way I know how to work. I would never be any good at building railroad tracks or something. I'd get down the line and be like, Oh, I forgot this.

I can be way off sometimes in placement of scenes I know will be in the story. Usually it's things moving up, but every once in a while you move back. A major moment in the last book got pushed back to give it more weight.

Ha, I can relate to that. So, when you move it forward or push it back, is that before or after you have the scenes surrounding it already written? How much revision does that entail for you?

This sounds a little more how I go about things, though it’s more of a “huh, well I thought that was more of a halfway cut the reader’s heart strings off at the knees thing, but turns out it’s even worse if I do it later kind of thing...” But in that example, I had written that scene before I realized just how much buildup came before it. I only realized that as I worked on the character relationships leading into that pivotal moment.

Good stuff so far, folks!

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
So, when you move it forward or push it back, is that before or after you have the scenes surrounding it already written? How much revision does that entail for you?

It's almost always after. The amount of revision can vary. I move things around a lot. This is the third of a trilogy, and I have run into issues along the way that have sent me back to page one of book one, more than once. It's a frustrating but absorbing way to write. This thing is growing, and evolving, and I feel like I am getting better at least at anticipating or identifying issues. Took me forever before. My issue the last few days was I was coming on the big climatic moment of the book that I had planned for quite awhile, and I had all this stuff going on - reversals, reveals, etc. Way too much. I needed to ground some of it earlier in the book, and as soon as I realized that, I also realized the thing that had been bugging about the turn in the middle was that it wasn't enough of a turn. The big reversal needed to happen there.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Since I write linearly (though without any sort of outline), everything that happens derives from whatever happened before it. Which means that each scene has its place, and if it doesn't work there, it doesn't work anywhere.

However, I also have multiple plotlines going, and sometimes they converge on a single event, and that means juggling simultaneous scenes from various POVs. Those I have to shuffle around and experiment with the order of reading. I couldn't tell you what specific criteria I use for deciding which comes first, second, third, etc. It's primarily gut feel, and it involves stacking the scenes in such a way that tension is never allowed to go slack and nothing feels like a sidetrack.

Last edited:

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who do rearrange, can you give examples as to why and how you do this? What difference has it made for your story? And for those who don’t do this (like me), why not? What is it about your writing process that negates the necessity for this?

When I first started writing, I didn't think it was necessary to shuffle scenes around either. I couldn't understand the need for it until recently (I thought my stories are all chronological, with one scene leading to the next, and so the idea of shuffling scenes around was hilarious to me). But then with my second project, after I'd written it, I realized that some scenes could be moved around so that the story at some points would be have more effect (e.g. moving around an intense fighting scene between two main characters so that it comes after the build-up and then allows for major shifts and changes in character and relationship dynamics, so that a big decision by the characters seems more believable after the big fight). Still, I don't do the whole shuffling around thing at random; I only do it when I think a scene would look more appropriate somewhere else.

With my latest WIP, I did the same thing as you, I wrote the key scenes I could think of and then went through all of it at random and wrote the details and other scenes as they came into my head. I had never done this before but it worked well, although now I have a lot of messy scenes and details scattered in there and the revision process is a little difficult. Even with this project, I did change the order of some of the important scenes (e.g. one where the MC gets herself into trouble - the scene was originally at the end of the first part, but I had to move it up a few chapters so that it happened right when the MC was having troubles with other main characters; this allowed me to take care of the troubling incident more effectively (as there were other characters involved) while also increasing the tension at that point).

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
In my case it's never whole scenes being moved, although I have once or twice deleted entire scenes when I realised they added nothing to the plot. That's a biggie for me...every scene has to drive the story forward.

When I move stuff around it's usually just parts of a scene or maybe a line or two of dialogue which I realise would work better elsewhere.

Mind you, I am the consummate plotter.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I rearrange scenes all the time. I don't plot or plan except at a scene level and the plot evolves constantly.

If you write multiple pov, scene rearranging is frequently a necessity. Even if you know who does what in each chapter, it sometimes reads better if X does their bit before Y. Or whatever. For tension, pacing, all sorts of reasons.

another example. When I overhauled MS 1, to have multiple povs per chapter (instead of confining one person per chapter), a lot of stuff moved around.

I'm not writing multiple pov atm and I still move things around, because I think of a MS in terms of core conversations. Finding the best order for those conversations to be had isn't always readily apparent. They have to fit wtih the plot, with the characters on screen (and who has them is subject to change, too, sometimes), and build the emotional gradient correctly over time.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
A planner here, so I never rearrange chapters, and rarely moves scenes around, BUT I do move paragraphs sometimes. I do this because my mind often wonders as I write and so the story line within a scene will sometimes bounce around a bit, skipping forward and then moving back. For me (just my opinion) a line of thought is easier to follow if it's linear: A-B-C-D rather than A-C-B-D.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
My experience as a first-time novelist gearing up for my first major structural revision - so take it for what it's worth - is that I am moving scenes around not infrequently, for any of the following reasons:

• Rearranging where POV changes occur, to improve suspense and pacing. I have two POV characters; I find that choosing the right moment at which to leave one and pick up with the other is a matter of feel, and doesn't necessarily match the way I wrote it down when I outlined the story.
  • Realizing I started the novel in the wrong place. Chapter 5 became Chapter 1. The original Chapter 1 will probably just be cut; the original Chapters 2-4 will be condensed, and revised to account for the new timeline (and for story elements I need to preserve from the original Chapter 1). I'll see how that goes in revision.
  • Combining two scenes that don't really need to be separate. I'm developing the relationship between two characters over a series of scenes between them, and to improve the overall pace I'm thinking of reducing the number of those scenes by one. I prefer the setting of their third scene together, so I'm going to move it up to what is now their second scene, and cut that one out (again, anything important to preserve, I will work into the scene that I have moved).
It's interesting that indianroads equates being a planner with never moving chapters and only rarely moving scenes. That hasn't been my experience at all; I do have a plan, but as I have written the novel to that plan, I have found that the plan needs revision. Maybe that's my inexperience - that is, while working through all of this, I have learned a great deal about structuring a novel; perhaps if I plan and write another novel, I won't have as much need to rearrange things and revise my plan as I go. But I can't imagine ever getting a plan so perfect that it doesn't get some revision as the novel itself develops.

Last edited:

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
My experience as a first-time novelist gearing up for my first major structural revision - so take it for what it's worth - is that I am moving scenes around not infrequently, for any of the following reasons:

• Rearranging where POV changes occur, to improve suspense and pacing. I have two POV characters; I find that choosing the right moment at which to leave one and pick up with the other is a matter of feel, and doesn't necessarily match the way I wrote it down when I outlined the story.
  • Realizing I started the novel in the wrong place. Chapter 5 became Chapter 1. The original Chapter 1 will probably just be cut; the original Chapters 2-4 will be condensed, and revised to account for the new timeline (and for story elements I need to preserve from the original Chapter 1). I'll see how that goes in revision.
  • Combining two scenes that don't really need to be separate. I'm developing the relationship between two characters over a series of scenes between them, and to improve the overall pace I'm thinking of reducing the number of those scenes by one. I prefer the setting of their third scene together, so I'm going to move it up to what is now their second scene, and cut that one out (again, anything important to preserve, I will work into the scene that I have moved).
It's interesting that indianroads equates being a planner with never moving scenes around. That hasn't been my experience at all; I do have a plan, but as I have written the novel to that plan, I have found that the plan needs revision. Maybe that's my inexperience - that is, while working through all of this, I have learned a great deal about structuring a novel; perhaps if I plan and write another novel, I won't have as much need to rearrange things and revise my plan as I go. But I can't imagine ever getting a plan so perfect that it doesn't get some revision as the novel itself develops.

I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to planning. Even when riding my motorcycle, I plan in advance where I'll get gas... and riding is supposed to be the pinnacle of freedom, but I suppose I prefer my freedom well planned in advance... (that was a joke... but not really).

When I plan I pretty much write the book - AND my rarely moving scenes about probably has to do with my single MC and POV, I think it would be different for me if I had more characters involved (this is something I may do for my next novel). That said however, I do occasionally delete and add scenes which may or may not constitute moving.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I don't think there's any relation between planning and revision per se. Planning and pantsing aren't binary by any means, and most people fall somewhere in the middle.

I'm fairly extreme on the pantsing side. However, a couple of my writerly friends also pants, and do *not* move scenes around; they simply write in order from start to finish and discover in a linear fashion. My discovery (I've compared it to this before) is more like a jigsaw; I start with the bits I find easier or standout and fill in the rest as I go.

I suspect it's more to do with the type of story you're writing. If the story itself is nonliner, for example, I struggle to see how you could nail it the first time, without much scene moving. (Perhaps by being a far better writer than me!)

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
I suspect it's more to do with the type of story you're writing.

It could also depend on one's preference at any stage in one's writing life. With my first ever MS, I started from the beginning without any outline and wrote linearly to the end. With my second MS, I planned half my chapters, then wrote the rest in the traditional pantser fashion. I think it says something about the story you're writing (and how it finds its way to you) as well as your experience in writing. When I first started out, I had no idea what I was doing. Once I gained some knowledge, I knew I had to get things right - and planning seemed helpful to that end.

With my current WIP, I did the process you describe with the jigsaw metaphor (pretty accurate, btw) because that's how the pieces came into my head - at random, out of order, little snippets. I think in my case the process led to greater chronological uncertainty; I'm having to move things around a lot.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, follow-up question for you, blac. How do you know when you need to do that? What are the triggers for you personally.

1. When I recognize something that doesn't make sense in the sequence of things, or

2. When I catch an idea that something would be more effective if presented either earlier, or later.

There's really no cookbook. It's sort of like Cezanne recognizing that the sunflower he painted yesterday really needs to moved a bit to the left, and repaints it.

caw

Last edited:

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
What is a plot but the careful drip feed of information to the reader?

It makes perfect sense to review the info and at exactly which point it is received. For me, that is the heart of structural editing.

tiddlywinks

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Wow. First of all, great comments. This thread is a fascinating read for me, and I've found myself nodding to a number of the examples and approaches you've divulged when it comes to rearranging scenes in revision. It's also led to a revelation or two on my part that I may have inadvertently lied when I said I don't rearrange scenes. I do occasionally, but on a more micro scale than some of you, perhaps. I'd either forgotten or didn't really think of it as rearranging since some of my instances are all in my head, like darb.

For example, in one of my other manuscripts, I rearranged a couple of key reveals to occur earlier, after betas politely wapped me with a stick for doing alllll the crazy reveals like dominos at the end. Too much and they lost their effect. So I moved a couple, and increased tension in the relationship between the two main characters at the same time. Because of that experience (lesson learned), I've been very carefully debating in my head where and when I should reveal things to the reader in my latest WIP because there are a lot of things going on -- and where secrets and character facets are revealed affects what the reader knows, how characters perceive each other, and drive new conflicts.

That's why I think I really like Harlequin's jigsaw analogy; it resonates quite nicely with what I'm during the drafting and plotsing first stage of this manuscript. I think that's also why it has been slower to write because I'm doing a lot of this as I go in my head. In theory this should save me revision pain later, right? Man, I hope so!

So, mea culpa for not realizing I was doing some of this. Cool.

I move things around a lot. This is the third of a trilogy, and I have run into issues along the way that have sent me back to page one of book one, more than once. It's a frustrating but absorbing way to write. This thing is growing, and evolving, and I feel like I am getting better at least at anticipating or identifying issues.

Oof! This makes me bite my nails, as I am writing the first in a trilogy and I too am finding it a beast as I continue to flesh out what needs to happen in later books based on Book 1 (and thereby learning other things I need to bury in the leaves in book 1 for 'ah-ha! Tricksie writer' moments later). So many details to juggle that matter, no? I feel your pain, darb!

However, I also have multiple plotlines going, and sometimes they converge on a single event, and that means juggling simultaneous scenes from various POVs. Those I have to shuffle around and experiment with the order of reading.
Good to note, Beth! I also deal with multiple POVs, but thus far only 2, and I avoid writing the same scene from different perspectives. I try to pick the best one for each part of a scene and then hand off to the other at the right time for the next bit. Kind of like a relay approach to the scene, perhaps. But I could see where that might be a necessity with more than 2 POVs.

(e.g. moving around an intense fighting scene between two main characters so that it comes after the build-up and then allows for major shifts and changes in character and relationship dynamics, so that a big decision by the characters seems more believable after the big fight).

Thanks, SKara! This gave me the epiphany I mentioned up at the beginning as it was exactly something I'd done in one of my previous manuscripts.

With my latest WIP, I did the same thing as you, I wrote the key scenes I could think of and then went through all of it at random and wrote the details and other scenes as they came into my head. I had never done this before but it worked well, although now I have a lot of messy scenes and details scattered in there and the revision process is a little difficult.
Yeah...I know that feeling. Like when you write this amazing new character in Chapter 20 and you realize you kinda sorta need to write an introduction for them a lot earlier so they don't just pop up out of the blue? *cough* Not that I, uh, did that or anything.

When I move stuff around it's usually just parts of a scene or maybe a line or two of dialogue which I realise would work better elsewhere.

Oh yes, I've done this! Especially when it's a good line, but in a horrid scene that needs to be banished to the "what were you thinking, Winks?" bin. Not that I ever do that either. :greenie

I still move things around, because I think of a MS in terms of core conversations. Finding the best order for those conversations to be had isn't always readily apparent. They have to fit wtih the plot, with the characters on screen (and who has them is subject to change, too, sometimes), and build the emotional gradient correctly over time.

:gaah Yes. I'm actually mentally testing and rearranging where some of those core final conversations need to occur in the last puzzle pieces I need to write to say FINISHED on my first draft of the latest WIP. It's driving me batty.

A planner here, so I never rearrange chapters, and rarely moves scenes around, BUT I do move paragraphs sometimes.

It's really intriguing because I don't think it's a plotter versus a pantser kind of issue, given the number of folks who have contributed thus far. I wonder, do you find yourself rearranging your chapter ideas at the planning stage, since it sounds like it's almost a draft stage for you in some respects?

But I can't imagine ever getting a plan so perfect that it doesn't get some revision as the novel itself develops.
Ha! Yes, I agree. That's why I'm still only a plotser and not a full on plotter. I like the creative discovery of pantsing and I do NOT write linearly (that way leads to the madness of writer's block for me), but especially as I'm tackling several series and trilogy ideas now, it's crucial to figure out what the puzzle pieces are before I start randomly jamming them together.

My discovery (I've compared it to this before) is more like a jigsaw; I start with the bits I find easier or standout and fill in the rest as I go.

Love this, Harlequin. This is me to a T once I get into the writing stage. And often I discover puzzle pieces I didn't know I was missing as I go along, which is often wonderful/irksome/baffling.

I think it says something about the story you're writing (and how it finds its way to you) as well as your experience in writing.

I certainly agree with the first bit, SKara. Especially the part in bold. Well said.

It's sort of like Cezanne recognizing that the sunflower he painted yesterday really needs to moved a bit to the left, and repaints it.

Lovely analogy, blac.

What is a plot but the careful drip feed of information to the reader?

Yes! And I find myself having to be careful that it doesn't become a firehose at certain junctures.

I love how this is making me think about my own revision process (and approach during the drafting itself).

Last edited:

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
I'm always discovering a character, scene, or aspect of a character late in the book that needs to go up front. It's a process of discovery, always. You write and write and write and then you come to an understanding about the character, the world, the story you're writing - which may be different from what you set out to write. I love that process, and I even love for the most part the work it generates. Going back, again and again, it's like painting. You're adding those layers. Accents. Nuances.

I could never write a trilogy or series while I was publishing it. I can't imagine. Writing these three over the last 18 months - without any conception I was going to do what I'm about to finish doing - has been one of the most rewarding and exhilarating writing experiences of my life. At times it's been frustrating, but never to the point of I can't do this. I didn't always know what I wanted to do, or how to do it, but I knew I needed to tell this story. It's all pure discovery beyond some very basic elements in book one. I've stopped thinking of them as three books and more as one larger work, though each is individual to itself (they tell a larger story).

Great thread. Always fascinating to see other people's process.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Good to note, Beth! I also deal with multiple POVs, but thus far only 2, and I avoid writing the same scene from different perspectives. I try to pick the best one for each part of a scene and then hand off to the other at the right time for the next bit. Kind of like a relay approach to the scene, perhaps. But I could see where that might be a necessity with more than 2 POVs.

The relay approach is a good analogy of how it usually works. But sometimes it's a question of who gets the baton next. And while I do try to avoid showing the same event more than once, occasionally there are small overlaps.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
It's really intriguing because I don't think it's a plotter versus a pantser kind of issue, given the number of folks who have contributed thus far. I wonder, do you find yourself rearranging your chapter ideas at the planning stage, since it sounds like it's almost a draft stage for you in some respects?

I doubt that many are 100% pure panster or plotter - we're all different, and that's the joy of it IMO.

To answer your question: I think about the story for quite a while before I start planning it. I know the beginning, end, and quite a few points I want to run through in the middle (and I know the order of these events). So, in my head I've already done a lot of the rearranging. In the planning state I usually first start with world building, then the main character bios.
After that, I work on the plot. I create a timeline, then look at what has to transpire between each event, and in so doing create sub events. When working with multiple characters, I have to pay attention (during the timeline phase) to when each character learns of some plot related issue. I also shift something around if it feels like it needs it.
I work on the plot until the point where the story is screaming so loudly at me that I can't stand not starting on the actual writing - that's where I begin. So it's mostly worked out...
BUT -
Chaos does creep in while I'm writing and deeply immersed in the story. Some characters that I initially thought were going to be in the margins become major, and the story shifts and turns. Changes in plot rarely happen for me though - I may add an event if there is a section of the story that seems a bit flat, but other than that it's pretty much as I laid it out.

As I said at the start though, we're all different. There is on ONE way to write - that's what makes writing, and hanging round on a forum like AW fun.

tiddlywinks

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Going back, again and again, it's like painting. You're adding those layers. Accents. Nuances.

I could never write a trilogy or series while I was publishing it. I can't imagine.

Ooh, I like the painting analogy.

As for the trilogy bit, I'd be comfortable, but only after I've made extensive notes for the later books and have a real solid handle on the major plot points, character arcs, etc. I'm thinking it would be good for me to map out a timeline though, as some of the plotters have mentioned. I have so many notes for this trilogy and the other projects I have on the back burner it's not even funny. The nice thing is that I make all my notes in OneNote, so I do move those around as needed - mostly by book at this point, versus scene mapping (since I don't know how all the puzzle pieces will end up fitting together yet in the later books and I'm ok with that). I could definitely write short synopsis for each one though!

The relay approach is a good analogy of how it usually works. But sometimes it's a question of who gets the baton next.
Yeah, that can be a real trick sometimes! I've found myself rewriting certain scenes from the other POV when something feels 'off' and that is usually the answer for me: I was writing in the wrong character's head.

I create a timeline, then look at what has to transpire between each event, and in so doing create sub events. When working with multiple characters, I have to pay attention (during the timeline phase) to when each character learns of some plot related issue. I also shift something around if it feels like it needs it.

Hmm. Methinks I might have to steal this and think that over a little more. I'm at a point in my story now where figuring out who should know what when (read that five times fast) is giving me fits on those last reveals I need to make.

Ji'ire

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently rearranging a big chunk of scenes.
It's a fantasy and the main group of four that I usually write together have each been split up and have separate POV's. I began writing the four stories at the same time and had a plan for how I wanted the scenes to link, something like A B D C - D B C A - Etc and this is the same order I wrote them in, just so that I could be sure it would work.

I ended up with one of the stories having much more depth and so expanded on the others, which meant I've gone past where the plan started and have all of these extra parts that weren't originally there. Once I finished I re-arranged the order for the first time (for the editing process), lining up the stories by themselves so A-A-A B-B-B C-C-C D-D-D to see what inconsistencies I could find like that and sure enough there were scenes that were disconnected from the previous ones because they hadn't been written in that order, best example is that in one of them (I'll call it A2) emotions are running really high but in A3 they fizzled out with no conclusion. In my plan A2 and A3 were 3/4 scenes apart so by the time I'd got to writing that I'd forgotten the tone of that story and I just followed my bullet points for the plot. Also I found there was lots of unnecessary repetition which was very plain to see in this order, so I cut down on that and swapped the places of a few ideas for better flow.

I've just started moving them into a third sequence, which is an improved version of the first that I set out in my plan, so A B D C - D B C A again. The reasoning behind the order is similar to when I made the plan, but now I have a full picture of all the scenes instead of just an outline not to mention the extra scenes I've added. I couldn't have known the scope of what the work would look like before I did it, though I haven't run into this before and I think it's probably because of the number of POV's being so high where as I usually keep to 2/3 max and the length of each. In regards to what kind of things I'm thinking when I re-order I think of the themes in the previous scene, the intensity of it (Sometimes it's nice to go from High-low, but if you want to create a really big moment then High-high is also a good idea) and also the distance it would create, so if B2 ends on a cliffhanger I might put 4/5 scenes before it gets to B3 to build tension but there's also the questions of what scenes would work well after this cliffhanger or before the resolution.

ikennedy

Registered
Reaction score
I've rearranged scenes and reworked them into the text, when I've realised that time lines, due to normal speed space travel, were wrong. It was annoying but necessary. It would have been a lot worse if I had just left it. So if you have to reorganise the way scenes are done, then you have to.