Some Details on Life in Moorish Spain (ca 850 AD)

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been researching the region of al-Andalus for a new story. Despite reading two books and looking through a few scholarly articles online, I'm unable to find information on a specific facet of life in this society and time.

The scenario I envisioned is this: a young girl is abandoned by her parents at the steps of a brothel where she is adopted by a mysterious man who raises her. He is not Umayyad, Berber, or any of the other major ethnic groups. Everywhere he goes, he is known as "the burning man" because his skin never seems to cool (plot detail revealed later). He has gained enough esteem with the authorities to be appointed a qadi (judge) of a local area. The MC's reflections focus on her life with this man, her "father," and her attempts to uncover his secret while pondering the various lessons he had taught her.

I have an idea of what was going on in Spain at this time: the Visigoths overthrown by the incoming Umayyads, an uneasy peace settling between Muslims, Christians, and Jews (not always holding), and al-Andalus, Cordoba specifically, becoming the cultural center of the world where science and literature flourished. Yet I can't find any particulars which would help build verisimilitude. Not going for 100% accuracy, but I don't think I've learned enough.

How would anything I described above be legally done? Were there a lot of brothels in Andalusia? Would it be unusual for a father to teach his own daughter or was it expected to send children to a formalized school? Since this is an Islamic culture, how would father/daughter relations carry on? What kind of clothing would they wear? Since this MC is an orphan of unknown birth, what are some examples of things she could/couldn't do in her daily life, places she was allowed/not allowed to go? As far as the father character, was a qadi's jurisdiction restricted to a geographic area or specific aspect of the law?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I am not an expert on the era, but my understanding is that girls would have been taught at home, preferably by their mothers, grandmothers or aunts. However, I don't think learning from the father would have been forbidden.

I'm bothered by the detail that she's left at a brothel. Wouldn't it have been more common to leave her near a church or mosque or synagogue? Or they may have had orphanages or hospitals. All those things seem more likely.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score

I am not an expert on the era, but my understanding is that girls would have been taught at home, preferably by their mothers, grandmothers or aunts. However, I don't think learning from the father would have been forbidden.

I'm bothered by the detail that she's left at a brothel. Wouldn't it have been more common to leave her near a church or mosque or synagogue? Or they may have had orphanages or hospitals. All those things seem more likely.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Your second point is duly noted. I only included that because there have been times in history when desperate people have sold their children. It can be amended. But now can you tell me if the said church/mosque would care for her at all? Educate her?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Not sure about mosques. But churches could and did educate the children left in their care. Some, perhaps most, would become monks or nuns, but the other boys would have been apprenticed to appropriate trades and the other girls would have received a dowry for marriage. There were some trades women worked too, notably weaving and brewing, at least in Northern Europe, not sure about the Iberian peninsula. So training in one of those might be an option.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Your second point is duly noted. I only included that because there have been times in history when desperate people have sold their children.

When you say the child was "abandoned by her parents at the steps of a brothel", did her parents receive payment for her? If they were paid, why would the brothel owner hand over the child to the mysterious man? If they weren't paid, why would they leave her at a brothel rather than a mosque or church or just the most convenient place?

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
When you say the child was "abandoned by her parents at the steps of a brothel", did her parents receive payment for her? If they were paid, why would the brothel owner hand over the child to the mysterious man? If they weren't paid, why would they leave her at a brothel rather than a mosque or church or just the most convenient place?

The original idea was to have him buy her. I’m reworking it.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Read up on Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, El Cid. You don't have to read the Canto de Mi Cid, there are any number of biographies on him. He fought with the Spanish Moors against the invading Muslims from North Africa. The time and the place are right for your work and Cid is worth reading about.He lived quite a life, was one hell of a soldier/knight. Granted he was no Charleston Hesston, but he was a real man and there must have been something knightly about him, to have made such a mark in the memory of his compatriots.

The centuries between 711 and 1492 were often bloody but just as often lovely, tranquil, quirky times--the 3 religions of Abraham living together in peace and war. People in those days made alliances for business, learning, culture, defense, alliances that went far beyond religion and culture. There was no black and white, the stereotypes don't really hold. --s6

Lazarillo de Tormes is a little later but he had a Moorish stepfather and a black faced little brother--s6

Last edited:

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The original idea was to have him buy her. I’m reworking it.

That could make sense. The brothel owner might be willing to forego future earnings in favour of an immediate payment. I presume the mysterious man has his own reasons for adopting the girl.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
That could make sense. The brothel owner might be willing to forego future earnings in favour of an immediate payment. I presume the mysterious man has his own reasons for adopting the girl.

Yes. As an act of kindness but also because his own family is dead.