• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

A magical night in silk pajamas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tofit

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a story about a magical night in silk pajamas for my website. It's taking up a lot of time and I'm considering hiring someone to help me finish it. The story needs keywords that relate to silk pajamas and women's silk pajamas. The goal is about 300 words in a story that appeals to women and husbands looking for an anniversary gift.

Setting: They were at home Mid century modern style home. She's sitting on the couch doing needlework cross stitching a silk embroidery kit.

It was a cool early spring evening. Her husband was returning home from work. He’s a real estate agent and he just sold a mansion to a tech company executive. She had a wonderful early evening her amazon business was making record sales. Now it was past 8 o clock and he goes on about how smooth the closing went, he took him to dinner and talked all about his successful transition.
She was in her silk pajamas her husband gave her for their anniversary.
Main focus: Describe her pajamas in detail, describe the silk’s magical feeling, her feeling hot with and then suddenly cool like her silk pajamas had air conditioning inside.
What do they do before they go to bed?
He asks her to come take a shower with him. She feels hot then says that she already had a shower. “And these silk pajamas are so comfortable I don’t want to take them off. I’ll brush my teeth, you take a shower.”

How else can I make this evening magical while focusing on the pajamas?

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Some early thoughts....

Age is important; they could be older adults (almost nearing retirement). Are they newlyweds? Define what "magical" means to you, and how you want to focus on it. From what I read, it is only the wife's sensation wearing the pajamas. The husband saw her wearing the anniversary gift, and had another take on the "magical night." There is some confusion, but I think it is intentional (for a proper story). A reader may be confused with the title as well, because you did not define why the wife had a magical night wearing the pajamas.

I cannot answer the question at the end, because there are unknown elements.

Tofit

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, it still needs work. I need to go into further details about their age, that's good advice. How old do you think it should be. Should I add another element like a daughter.

Honestly I'm still trying to come up with ideas on what could make it a magical night. Some ideas I had: It's their anniversary, Her husband made a big sale in real estate ( but that's his magical night) So maybe I should save that and focus on her (she had record sales on her Amazon/Ebay store. She made money) Then I need two other factors that make the evening more magical. I need a miracle that happens, or build it up to one. I'm pretty much a novice writer so I could use some good ideas and more feedback.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, it still needs work. I need to go into further details about their age, that's good advice. How old do you think it should be. Should I add another element like a daughter.

Honestly I'm still trying to come up with ideas on what could make it a magical night. Some ideas I had: It's their anniversary, Her husband made a big sale in real estate ( but that's his magical night) So maybe I should save that and focus on her (she had record sales on her Amazon/Ebay store. She made money) Then I need two other factors that make the evening more magical. I need a miracle that happens, or build it up to one. I'm pretty much a novice writer so I could use some good ideas and more feedback.

Well, how do events in their day (their work successes) effect the "magical night?" Should they? Is a magical night a romantic evening (after the husband showers)? Do they only get romantically excited, with one another, when they each do well, financially? What gets them in the mood to have a "magical night?" Are the husband and wife trying swinging (partner sharing with another, married couple) for the first time? Should you add some surprise elements to the story, such as the swinging element, to make it more interesting?

I think, for me, there is no hint of seduction or doing something naughty. If it had one of these, I may read it. As it stands, I do not know the motivations of the magical night.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Every story, no matter how small, needs conflict to be interesting.

There's no conflict in the story you proposed. Everything goes great and everyone is super happy.

What goes wrong, and how do the pajamas fix it, or make it better, or tie into the situation?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.