Humorous thriller cover feedback please

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
It's a humorous thriller set in Cuba. Thanks.

108gk8u75kmr07n6g.jpg

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
I always argue that a simple cover done well is better than a complicated one done poorly. Here, you've reached a bit beyond your skill set, and the result is an obviously self-published book. Either hire a more talented artist to execute the concept well, or back off to something you can accomplish with stock photos and fonts.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
I always argue that a simple cover done well is better than a complicated one done poorly. Here, you've reached a bit beyond your skill set, and the result is an obviously self-published book. Either hire a more talented artist to execute the concept well, or back off to something you can accomplish with stock photos and fonts.

Thanks Kevin. Appreciate the feedback.

kevinwaynewilliams

Registered
Reaction score
The first one in your new post (simple orange/blue graphic) is the best of the bunch. Emphasise "misdaventure" a bit to convey that it's a comedy, and I think you are on your way. You could probably work your "One nuclear crisis" tagline into the simpler cover and make it work as well.

Last edited:

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
The first one in your new post (simple orange/blue graphic) is the best of the bunch. Emphasise "misdaventure" a bit to convey that it's a comedy, and I think you are on your way. You could probably work your "One nuclear crisis" tagline into the simpler cover and make it work as well.

Thanks a lot, Kevin. I like that first one in the new post too, but, like you were saying, I'm wondering if it's going to convey that it's a comedy. I could underline "Mis" in "Misadventure" at the top but that won't do much. And adding the tagline without the missile won't really work.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Kevin. I like that first one in the new post too, but, like you were saying, I'm wondering if it's going to convey that it's a comedy. I could underline "Mis" in "Misadventure" at the top but that won't do much. And adding the tagline without the missile won't really work.

For the 'Misadventure problem' couldn't you have the Mis part maybe broken, or skewed somehow? Go comedy and have smoke spewing out of it, or something like that?

I do like the first cover in your second post, too, but I did find the 'Navy Seal Misadventure #1' kinda hard to read.

(Also liked the open humour in cover #2. :greenie)

taraesque

Registered
Reaction score
I like the first one in the first post. I don’t actually think you need to highlightthe “Mis” because I would assume a carton cover on a thiller would be humorous…

I have a couple of thoughts for you to consider:

1. Move the Title up closer to the tagline. Just a tad to much room between the two.
  2. Decrease the landscape background by about 30% and move the parachutes up higher into the sky. For me, my eye is having a hard time separating the two elements. Where the palm tree and the Navy hit is really hard for me to read.

For the orange/blue one, it has kind of an old school feeltoo it, and I like that. Things toconsider with that one.

1. All the elements are a bit crowded and could possibly use some white space. Perhaps shrink your name a bit and move it further down. Then shrink the main parachute down by 15% and center it between the title and your name.
  2. Is everything centered together? It seems like everything is a bit off…

Good job so far!

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I think you are wrong on that: pretty sure that the tagline would work without an explicitly supporting image.

+1. Tagline definitely doesn't need the image.

Also +1 to the first cover in your second post being the best. The left hand parachute and the book title look a bit crowded to my eye, though (just a layperson here, no expertise). How does it look if you de-centre the title?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

It seems to me that the comedy is neatly conveyed by the stick figures, the colors, and the typeface.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
For the 'Misadventure problem' couldn't you have the Mis part maybe broken, or skewed somehow? Go comedy and have smoke spewing out of it, or something like that?

I do like the first cover in your second post, too, but I did find the 'Navy Seal Misadventure #1' kinda hard to read.

(Also liked the open humour in cover #2. :greenie)

Thanks Muse. I prefer the first cover in the second post, but this book is so zany I'm wondering if I shouldn't be going with the humour in cover #2. Anyway I'm going to post a couple more.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
I think you are wrong on that: pretty sure that the tagline would work without an explicitly supporting image.

I'm never wrong, Kevin. Yeah--LOL--just kidding. (Look at my signature line.) I took your suggestion and will post the cover with the tagline. (And a different font and different parachuters but the same concept.) Thanks.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
I like the first one in the first post. I don’t actually think you need to highlightthe “Mis” because I would assume a carton cover on a thiller would be humorous…

I have a couple of thoughts for you to consider:

1. Move the Title up closer to the tagline. Just a tad to much room between the two.
  2. Decrease the landscape background by about 30% and move the parachutes up higher into the sky. For me, my eye is having a hard time separating the two elements. Where the palm tree and the Navy hit is really hard for me to read.

For the orange/blue one, it has kind of an old school feeltoo it, and I like that. Things toconsider with that one.

1. All the elements are a bit crowded and could possibly use some white space. Perhaps shrink your name a bit and move it further down. Then shrink the main parachute down by 15% and center it between the title and your name.
  2. Is everything centered together? It seems like everything is a bit off…

Good job so far!

Thanks very much, Tara, and I think your suggestions are great, but I've bailed on that cover. A lot of people who saw it thought it was a children's book. And I finally came to believe they were right.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
+1. Tagline definitely doesn't need the image.

Also +1 to the first cover in your second post being the best. The left hand parachute and the book title look a bit crowded to my eye, though (just a layperson here, no expertise). How does it look if you de-centre the title?

Thanks Frank. I tried the tagline with that cover. Will try the de-centring too. (I'm posting again.)

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I took the garish blue out of the cover with the missile, and took a lot of your suggestions for adding a tagline to the cover with the orange parachuters. And I added a ? mark to the title. (I thought "Navy Seal Rescue" just sounded too much like a non-fiction book.) And I changed the parachuters a bit.

Since this is going to be a series I'm thinking it will be easier to do the cover with the dark blue background and orange parachuters. It will be easier because I can use icons for future covers. And it will be less cartoonish. But maybe cartoonish is better because believe me this book is very over the top. Thanks.

Navy_Seal_Rescue_Question_Mark200_X300.jpg

Navy_Seal_Parchuter_Non_Businessman200_X300.jpg

kevinwaynewilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Still prefer the simpler graphic in the second example. Not a big fan of the brushy font, but I don't hate it, either.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I added "[a novel]" because the title sounds so much like non-fiction.

Yeah ... I'm pretty sure what with the "Navy Seal Misadventure #1", the cartoony cover, the comedic tag line, and the fact you'll presumably be putting this in the fiction section ... it's safe to assume readers won't think they're buying a serious treatise on the armed services.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah ... I'm pretty sure what with the "Navy Seal Misadventure #1", the cartoony cover, the comedic tag line, and the fact you'll presumably be putting this in the fiction section ... it's safe to assume readers won't think they're buying a serious treatise on the armed services.

Thanks Frank. LOL I guess that was pretty substantial overkill.