Price better on Amazon than my publisher

msd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
huntforkomodocracker.wixsite.com
I found that if I purchase a single paperback copy of my book on Amazon.ca I get a better price than if I purchased it from the publishing house. I end up saving $1.49. Is this normal?

Purchased on Amazon.ca

Book cost $22.67
Free shipping $0.00
Tax $1.13
Royalty -$2.44

Total $21.36

Purchased from the publishing house

Book cost $12.47
Shipping $8.49
Tax $1.89

Total $22.85

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Yes, this is normal. Your publisher will be selling the book at list price; Amazon won't.

Also: why are you deducting royalties from the Amazon price and not the publisher's?

msd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
huntforkomodocracker.wixsite.com
Also: why are you deducting royalties from the Amazon price and not the publisher's?

The price my publisher charges me, $12.47 does not include the royalty. If I purchase on Amazon.ca, the price includes the royalty. So I deducted $2.44, because I’m getting that money back. I want to calculate what it cost me for the book.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I found that if I purchase a single paperback copy of my book on Amazon.ca I get a better price than if I purchased it from the publishing house. I end up saving $1.49. Is this normal?

Purchased on Amazon.ca

Book cost $22.67
Free shipping $0.00
Tax $1.13
Royalty -$2.44

Total $21.36

Purchased from the publishing house

Book cost $12.47
Shipping $8.49
Tax $1.89

Total $22.85

That's... not what's happening? The book is markedly cheaper through the publisher, but the publisher charges you shipping.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
That's... not what's happening? The book is markedly cheaper through the publisher, but the publisher charges you shipping.

Somehow I missed this!

Yeah, that's the difference. And if you can get a better deal from Amazon, I suppose there's no reason not to take it (although if you haven't earned out your advance, I personally wouldn't calculate it that way).