Where Can I Sell My Romance Ebooks Outside of The Normal Retailers?

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

Thanks in advance for the help! I wasn't sure whether to put this in the romance forum or here but since this is about self-publishing I thought maybe the SP authors could help. Does anyone know of any ebook retailers outside of the big ones who sell romance? I am wide and like to sell my work in as many places as possible. I wondered if there were some lesserknown retailers for romance especially that I need to check out.

A few years ago there were some small romance sellers but they all closed. I'm looking for retailers similar to Selena Kitt's Excitica but for romance, not erotica.

Have a nice day!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Smashwords is pretty good about retail inclusiveness.

Ebooks.com is a possibility; I don't know the process for self-published authors, but I do know some of the books listed are by self-pubbed writers.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Smashwords is pretty good about retail inclusiveness.

Ebooks.com is a possibility; I don't know the process for self-published authors, but I do know some of the books listed are by self-pubbed writers.

Thanks! I'm already on Smashwords. I will look into Ebooks.com. Thanks again!

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Just checked and Ebooks.com doesn't accept books from individual authors. They say the author's publisher has to contact them. It's shocking that no other retailer has come up to take the place of All Romance Ebooks. I didn't make much there but I still made something. I will keep looking around. :)

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I assume you're already published on at all the giants: Amazon, Google, B&N, Nook, iBooks, Smashwords. Maybe use D2D to get into some of the other smaller distribution sites. Since you're already at the big ones, I wouldn't worry much about the smaller guys.

Yeah, it's surprising no one has taken over the place of ARe. There was one that tried last year, and you might want to keep an eye on them for when/if they open back up: https://www.theromanceco.com/

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
I assume you're already published on at all the giants: Amazon, Google, B&N, Nook, iBooks, Smashwords. Maybe use D2D to get into some of the other smaller distribution sites. Since you're already at the big ones, I wouldn't worry much about the smaller guys.

Yeah, it's surprising no one has taken over the place of ARe. There was one that tried last year, and you might want to keep an eye on them for when/if they open back up: https://www.theromanceco.com/

I remember The Romance Company but they closed and I wasn't sure if it was worth being on there but I might check if they open back up.

Yes, I am everywhere else. I am direct with all the main retailers except Apple and I go through D2D for the smaller sites like Scribd and I am on the Smashwords store as well as I use them for sites D2D doesn't distribute to. I am also on Streetlib for their International sites and in Overdrive.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. I do wish another romance-only retailer would open up that can give competition to Amazon. Until then I am waiting anxiously for the Kobo/Walmart deal to go through to see how that turns out.

Thanks!

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
I remember The Romance Company but they closed and I wasn't sure if it was worth being on there but I might check if they open back up.

Yes, I am everywhere else. I am direct with all the main retailers except Apple and I go through D2D for the smaller sites like Scribd and I am on the Smashwords store as well as I use them for sites D2D doesn't distribute to. I am also on Streetlib for their International sites and in Overdrive.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. I do wish another romance-only retailer would open up that can give competition to Amazon. Until then I am waiting anxiously for the Kobo/Walmart deal to go through to see how that turns out.

Thanks!

I'm looking into StreetLib. They seem to be anti-DRM but you can choose whether to have it or a watermark and this differs for different retailers.

What is your experience with with StreeLib's DRM? Can you choose which retailers to use based on what kind of DRM you prefer?

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking into StreetLib. They seem to be anti-DRM but you can choose whether to have it or a watermark and this differs for different retailers.

What is your experience with with StreeLib's DRM? Can you choose which retailers to use based on what kind of DRM you prefer?

I don't do DRM. It does nothing to stop piracy. DRM can easily be stripped and it also ticks off the paying customers. I only put a few titles on Streetlib for their foreign stores. This was around when I first posted this thread I believe. Haven't made a DIME on Streetlib in the months I've been there.

Last edited:

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
As a side note, I don't have enough sales to personally notice the difference, but a thread on another forum with folks who actually sell enough to see changes haven't noticed any real effect from the Walmart thing. Pity. So many of us were hoping Kobo would step up and crush Amazon.

My next pie-in-the-sky hope is that I've heard Barnes and Noble is for sale. I'm really hoping someone who's savvy to best ebook marketing practices buys it. That could be amazing. :)

To answer your question, though, OP, I haven't heard of any vendors that you're missing.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
As a side note, I don't have enough sales to personally notice the difference, but a thread on another forum with folks who actually sell enough to see changes haven't noticed any real effect from the Walmart thing. Pity. So many of us were hoping Kobo would step up and crush Amazon.

My next pie-in-the-sky hope is that I've heard Barnes and Noble is for sale. I'm really hoping someone who's savvy to best ebook marketing practices buys it. That could be amazing. :)

To answer your question, though, OP, I haven't heard of any vendors that you're missing.

So far, outside of the Zon, B&N is my largest sales channel by a wide margin. And for that matter, I sell about three times through D2D what I sell through Smashwords. I've sold a hand full through ibooks and Kobo.