Novelization of The Ring Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarahani

Banned
Reaction score
The first time I went to attend an Opera was The Rhinegold (1st of the 4 operas of the Ring Cycle). I was so amazed by the story, the philosophy and the characters that I looked forward to some kind of novelization of the masterpiece. I was surprised when I couldn't find anything about it while the "other ring", The Lord of the Ring by Tolkien was so famous. So I boldly decided to write it myself. After years of thinking about it, reading about it, and writing other commitments, I started the gigantic task to write the 16 hours Ring Cycle into 4 novels. I just completed the first draft of the Rhinegold. But a question came up: What about the copyrights? Will I be able to publish the novels without some kind of approval?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I dunno if this is the right forum for that question, or what the right forum would be.

Given that Wagner passed in 1883 and his words are on Project Gutenberg, I'd lean towards public domain.

But if you want a real answer you can trust, maybe you should be talking to an entertainment lawyer.

-Derek

Sarahani

Banned
Reaction score
I know some lawyers, maybe I should ask them.

I am reading the works that inspired Wagner to create his Ring Cycle so that I can have different angles and the ideas and his intentions. But my novelization is specifically on Wagner's works not on the original works.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know some lawyers, maybe I should ask them.

Are they versed in intellectual property and/or copyright law? They're the ones who'd be able to give you a more accurate answer.

I am reading the works that inspired Wagner to create his Ring Cycle so that I can have different angles and the ideas and his intentions. But my novelization is specifically on Wagner's works not on the original works.

Bear in mind that if you are using a translation of the libretto, it probably has its own copyright.

IANAL and other disclaimers

I found a novel series out on Amazon that's based on a translation of Wagner's original lyrics. If this is what you're interested in doing, tread carefully. IANAL, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.