So... how is seeking an agent these days?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My autism makes it really hard for me to invest time in something that doesn't interest me in the least.

If you really don't want to do any promotion, you need to hit the WayBack Machine and travel with Mr. Peabody to the 1950's or earlier. The trade off of electronic media and faster paced publishing is that the author has to pick up some of the work load on marketing. But hey, the postage on your submissions is a lot cheaper. :)

Jeff

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Two authors I know of for certain, each having good agents: Harry Connolly and Alis Franklin. Both had fairly good debut novels, but their publishers dropped their contracts later. Connelly went self pub. Franklin's writing is on hiatus at the moment. We have at least a couple of authors here on AW that have had similar misadventures, but to preserve their privacy I'm naming them.

AFAIK, the late Tanith Lee didn't have an agent. DAW books and other major publishers sidelined her for the last 15 years ot her life.

Do you mean that IF I get an agent and IF I get the first in a series published, they still might decide not to release the rest of the series?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Yes, if the first few books don't earn enough.

Simon Greene is one such author that I can immediately think of, though there are lots. Books 1&2 of his trilogy were released but not 3 because the first two didn't earn sufficiently.

You can release the remainder self published, though; a lot of authors in those situs do that. Contract allowing. I believe Greene self pubbed the 3rd one.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Do you mean that IF I get an agent and IF I get the first in a series published, they still might decide not to release the rest of the series?

Yes.

You may get a contract for more than one book, but it'll likely be for a set number (2 or 3 is not uncommon). Even then, though, a good contract will have an "out" clause (for both of you).

It all depends on the publisher's initial sales expectations, and how reality compares.

One thing someone outside the industry observed to me is that for writers, the work is often deeply personal, and its acceptance (or otherwise) can become intertwined with our self-image. For a publisher, though, it's a product they're selling, no more. This doesn't mean the people at the publisher aren't terrific folks who genuinely love books. It does mean if the numbers aren't there, they can't help you much, no matter how they personally feel about your work.

It's freelance. One contract at a time. And previous commercial performance will affect future contracts.

neurotype

New Fish; Thick Scales
Registered
Reaction score
Success takes differnt forms, and it rarely involves resting on your laurels.

This is a great line. Thanks for all of the feedback on here, everyone! Been a useful post to read :)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I've had requests for fulls and rejected the same day. So many non responses I could make my head spin. Had 2 agents in the past that did nothing. Got published through trade publishers and dropped by a few. Been looking for an agent during all this for 7 years. Had one star reviews and 5 star reviews. Send out my book for review over seas and spent 22 dollars and never heard from the reviewer again. Writing novel after novel and now have 5 unpublished novels stacked up. Keep writing? Mmm...I guess. But one thing I've learned is that you have to market each book that goes out there. Otherwise you won't have as many sales.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
And I'm actually now on the verge of finishing the first in my new series in two months... which has me wondering if I made a deal with the devil while drunk and forgot about it.

*drive by*

By finished he means pretty much ready to publish, and also extremely, extremely good (IMHO, having beta'd). Just wanted to rep my man Efryesson with his impossible, infuriating skill.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
*drive by*

By finished he means pretty much ready to publish, and also extremely, extremely good (IMHO, having beta'd). Just wanted to rep my man Efryesson with his impossible, infuriating skill.

That's very kind of you.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

If they release the first with a full marketing press and it sells thirteen copies, nobody will take your second. :)

Or if you get a million dollar advance on a three book series, they'll likely publish the second even if the first doesn't do as well as hoped. There's a reason they committed that much money to you. Of course, if the three book series doesn't pan out that will probably be the only writing income you'll ever see.

Lastly, what does your contract say?

Jeff

Last edited: