The 2018 (First Ever!) Sequel Solstice: A Midsummer Night's Game!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sort of loving what I have so far (provided I try not to think about what I'm actually writing too hard). Just hit 8k, which is on top of the 8k I have for the prior project and a spare 3k spent on false starts.

Problem is, I'm just about done with the first half of the first act, and there's...a lot more story to tell. I don't wanna break my flow here, so gonna keep working on it for the time being. If need be, I can dust off the 'weird' project, or fall back on a fairly goofy idea I have stuffed away for an emergency.

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing written yet but that's on track for me. This is what I have so far:

Step 1: Characters introduction
Step 2: ???
Step 3: profit All things go to hell, possibly with ruminants goats.

It's Step 2 that I haven't figured out yet but I have solved two plot points in a Silmarillion fanfic that have been eluding me for months now. (Stop it brain, STOP. Silmarillion Elves are strictly against the prompts and I was going with a different one anyway. Nonono, brain, don't- oh hell, maybe I should just go and write the fanfiction to get it out of my system before I return to tackle Step 2.)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score

It's Step 2 that I haven't figured out yet but I have solved two plot points in a Silmarillion fanfic that have been eluding me for months now. (Stop it brain, STOP. Silmarillion Elves are strictly against the prompts and I was going with a different one anyway. Nonono, brain, don't- oh hell, maybe I should just go and write the fanfiction to get it out of my system before I return to tackle Step 2.)

Step two is snacks. Make sure you're eating plenty of snacks.

I feel like there's some way we can game the system to get your fanfic in there. Maybe as long as you start it with "There were two ways to escape the king's prison".

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'd only be offended if you did a minstrel show and didn't have performers in dwarf face. :wag:

The racist connotation of minstrel show is kind of what I was poking at with the idea to dress up as and elf, dwarf, orc, etc. and do satire. Same sort of thing done in the South in what, I thought, were times past except with the fantasy twist.

In seriousness, I read fantasy so I don't have to deal with problems of reality, so unless the piece is set in some sort of alternate history of the early 20th century, if I read minstrel show I would actually think of the more medieval minstrels. Incidentally they always look and sound a bit like Jethro Tull in my mind, unless otherwise directed. I'm going to guess that your setting will breach very little argument over the use of the phrase unless you give readers a reason to suspect it's taken the modern U.S. connotation.

Make it a comedy roast of the resident troll and call it a "Mince-Troll" show? (Although that name sounds more like a troll version of bear-baiting, which could be dreadful or suitable depending on the vibe of the overall piece... ack, I dunno - my brain is kind of mush today).

In other news, hi, all! Made it back from my "vacation" consisting of watching two high school graduations a week apart in opposite ends of the US (Florida and Washington). This project has kind of been on the back burner while I dealt with all the traveling and whatnot, but as of tomorrow, I'm getting serious. I think I finally have an inkling of an idea, too, which I'm really happy about, since I was coming up with nothing before.

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still exploring the untamed wilds of Pantser Land, but it's fun. Definitely getting words down.

Pantser Land is very untamed, but you can end up with a real gem from there!

The Procrastinating Pantser is the name of my new Vlog where I post videos of myself flagrantly wasting time until the midnight hour, then hastily throw together a giant turd, shine it up, and submit. Also, the technique I used completing University coursework.

Procrastinators of the world, unite! Tomorrow. *G*

I'm sort of loving what I have so far (provided I try not to think about what I'm actually writing too hard). Just hit 8k, which is on top of the 8k I have for the prior project and a spare 3k spent on false starts.

Problem is, I'm just about done with the first half of the first act, and there's...a lot more story to tell. I don't wanna break my flow here, so gonna keep working on it for the time being. If need be, I can dust off the 'weird' project, or fall back on a fairly goofy idea I have stuffed away for an emergency.

THat's a lot of words, Kev. But also, you can submit something that's not entirely finished if necessary. Just slap a 'TBC' at the bottom... and then finish it off before sisyfus starts. ;)

Definitely get the fanfic out of the way. When my brain wants to write fanfic, if I don't give in, I get nothing at all written.

In other news, hi, all! Made it back from my "vacation" consisting of watching two high school graduations a week apart in opposite ends of the US (Florida and Washington). This project has kind of been on the back burner while I dealt with all the traveling and whatnot, but as of tomorrow, I'm getting serious. I think I finally have an inkling of an idea, too, which I'm really happy about, since I was coming up with nothing before.

Sounds like you need a vacation from your vacation, Taz. Yay for having a bit of an idea of what to write! That makes the writing so much easier. :)

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve made progress. I finally figured out where my story is going .... now I just need to write it down.

Slowly but surely!
Dislexic procrastinators untie! Together we can lure the world ... later.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
THat's a lot of words, Kev. But also, you can submit something that's not entirely finished if necessary. Just slap a 'TBC' at the bottom... and then finish it off before sisyfus starts. ;)
Hmm, the end result may be an incomplete first draft I wouldn't wish on anyone. But I might consider pulling out a decent-sized excerpt and polishing it up, if need be. Plenty of time and options still. Feel kinda guilt not being on 'Team Procrastinate'. But y'all are gonna be finished and content when I'm still drafting a total pile of nonsense with no end in sight. So there's that.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo! I have two scenes left to write and my first draft is completed! With a bit of luck, I'll get it done today. Then I have two weeks to get the second draft done so I can sent it off to my lovely beta before she goes on holiday. On course to be finished completely by the end of July. :)

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I have about 800 words! I have a character, a location, and a problem. Ehhh...where to go next? I dunno, this one is totally pantsed.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo! Go the words, Blinkk!

I pretty much pantsed mine - that's probably why it wound up as long as it is. LOL

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Pantsing makes me nervous, I always get scared I'll have nothing to write about and come up short. Rarely actually happens though, I had a note in my outline that roughly sad "MC is not having a good time". 4000 words later, I can finally move past that bullet point.

Slow yesterday, barely cranked out 200 words. Today doesn't look any better. But hey, I'm over 10k and...well...three-fourths done with act one.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
I had a note in my outline that roughly sad "MC is not having a good time". 4000 words later, I can finally move past that bullet point.

:ROFL:

Maybe you're a plotser - you plot basic stuff, and then pants your way through the plot? (that's sort of kind of what I do for long stuff)

I generally only totally pants it for short stuff - but even then, I know where I start and where I end - I just go with the flow in between those two points. :)

I had my best writing day in MONTHS if not YEARS yesterday - which enabled me to finish the first draft. :) I'm going to let it sit for today, and then get started on the second pass tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, how many acts are you planning, Kev?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
No, I'm a plotter. I plot like crazy. Mucho spreadsheets. I just haven't got around to writing or revising the stuff I spent the last two years plotting :shrug:

Um, three acts? I really can't tell how long this is going to be, tbh. But I can jump back to the other, 3/4 finished project in a bit if need be, I'm having enough fun right now I don't wanna lose focus.

Wooo, Jamyz! Days like this are rare and wonderful. Take some time to rest on your laurels, I know you're going to be nice and modest but secretly snickering to yourself about when you get to drop your stories on us and prove who the master is. :hail:

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's a lot of plotting. I can only plot so much, otherwise my brain decides the story is finished and I never get to writing it. LOL

Wow, sounds like a giant story! You still have a month and a half, so there's plenty of time to finish your huge story.

I used to regularly have 2 - 3K word days, but for a while now, I've struggled to get 500 words a day. I think I did about 2.5K words yesterday. The characters kept yapping. *g* Ha! You're very sweet, Kev, but I only wrote one story for this event. I've got the characters from The Crystal Throne nagging at me hard, so I need to get this SS:AMNG story finished before those characters get in a snit and refuse to talk to me anymore.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Step two is snacks. Make sure you're eating plenty of snacks.
I like your take on Step two. I shall adopt it and add Step Two B.

.. and be prepared for several months of people PM'ing: "Keeeeeev, I wanna know what comes neeeext!" :ROFL:

Definitely get the fanfic out of the way. When my brain wants to write fanfic, if I don't give in, I get nothing at all written.
I decided to follow your advice and it went something like this:

Me: Okay brain, you have full permission to engage in fanfic, what happens after that once scene we've just solved earlier?
Brain: Um...
Me: Come on, you wanted to do this fanfic first! Let's get crackin'.
Brain: Yeees, but...
Me: But what?
Brain: You know that Step Two in the Sequal Soltice that you didn't know how to tie together? I figured out what it needs: a terminator goat!
Me:...
Brain:...
Me: *changes notepad* Keep talking...
Brain: Oh! Yes! So yeah, you need this terminator goat! It will.. [long rambling connecting of separate scenes ensues]

So yeah, I've figured what happens in three consequetive scenes now. Currently working on plotting the beat-for-beat breakdown of the finale. I think I should be good to go to start writing after that. Negociations still underway to secure rights to a terminator goat. All the other goats have collectively decided they want to be pirate goats. Bloody ruminants.

I had my best writing day in MONTHS if not YEARS yesterday - which enabled me to finish the first draft. :) I'm going to let it sit for today, and then get started on the second pass tomorrow.
Go you! :Thumbs:

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
FF - your brain sounds suspiciously like mine. It always wants to work on the project NOT currently being worked on. *g*

But that's awesome that you've got your sequel story figured out.

Starting the second pass on my story today. I'm anticipating the word count growing - because I need to put in all the description I ignored to get the first draft done, and I know there's a scene in the middle there that I still have to write.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Brain: Oh! Yes! So yeah, you need this terminator goat! It will.. [long rambling connecting of separate scenes ensues]

So yeah, I've figured what happens in three consequetive scenes now. Currently working on plotting the beat-for-beat breakdown of the finale. I think I should be good to go to start writing after that. Negociations still underway to secure rights to a terminator goat. All the other goats have collectively decided they want to be pirate goats. Bloody ruminants.

Terminator Goat stands amidship surrounded by the corpses of all the pirate goats and slips dark shades over it's torn open cybernetic eye.

"I'll be baaaaaaaaahck," it says menacingly to the lone survivor of the goat pirate slaughter, a young boy named Connor.

End Scene

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've just sent my story off to my long-suffering beta to have a read over. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Assuming I won't need to fix too much on my own story, I'm available should anyone need a quick beta-read of their story. I'm good at spelling issues, moderately good at grammar, and not bad at continuity and such.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've just sent my story off to my long-suffering beta to have a read over. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Assuming I won't need to fix too much on my own story, I'm available should anyone need a quick beta-read of their story. I'm good at spelling issues, moderately good at grammar, and not bad at continuity and such.

You are wayyyy ahead of me. I hope the beta reading helps a lot! I'll actually keep your name on file for if I need a beta reader later. :)

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
You are wayyyy ahead of me. I hope the beta reading helps a lot! I'll actually keep your name on file for if I need a beta reader later. :)

I'm way ahead of where I thought I'd be at this point too. Thanks! No worries at all. Depending on length of the story, I can do fairly quick turnaround too (like a day or two days).

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
So, uh, hypothetically, if I said I was finished, would I get lynched?

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
A few days ago, maybe. I've actually started now, though, so I'm feeling less jelly.

Got a 3 day weekend coming up. I'm planning to write hardcore and hopefully be actually nearly finished by the start of July so I can do some editing (/beta-ing. Were there betas for this round?)