The 2018 (First Ever!) Sequel Solstice: A Midsummer Night's Game!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the review Kev! Glad you liked the ending.

For another twist to the ending...it really wasn't meant to end the way it did I just needed a finished product for the Siamang deadline. Someday I'll flesh it out then you'll see that maybe mine is also SF. It could be nanobots that keep healing everyone, could be that the prison is actually a matrix like digital version of the world, could be there are cameras throughout the prison and those that are incarcerated are merely entertainment for the alien nobility (those plague masks the magistrates wear are part of an enviro suit to allow them to breath the air on the surface of the planet). Who knows? I certainly don't, but I'll find out someday.

Heh, yeah, I kinda figured, but still entertaining. I had the same issue, and had to kill a lot of people very quickly before my story went over 15k.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Raakael's Basilisk by Albedo

*Injects story in vein*

Yeah, I'm an Albedo fan, this one definitely brought the darkness, surrealism, originality, and philosophical heft that I crave. The story's darkness is cut with a perceptible humor, especially near the end as Raakael turns out not to be as absolutely in control as he perceives. A bit of Iain Banks, a bit of M John Harrison, and totally original and weird. I'm kinda jealous now, if I'm gonna keep participating in contests feature The Vulture, I'll have to up my game.

Rating: Seven Hundred Sixty Seven

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
*is compared to favourite author*
*just about dies*

Thanks for the kind reviews, you lot. :) I'm often afflicted with the little voice that tells me what I write is utterly barmy nonsense. Hearing that it's coherent enough to even review means a lot to me in terms of motivation. I swear, though, next time I'm writing light and fluffy. LIGHT AND FLUFFY. I have so much lightness and fluffiness to give the world!

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
In For a Moon by Friendly Frog

Wow, so many SFF tropes and elements I love kitbashed together perfectly, plus, the Frog did all three prompt and they fit together so seamlessly I didn't even notice until afterwards. A hardboiled space opera heist story featuring elves, what's impressive is that despite it's sense of humor it all ends up working as something more than tongue-in-cheek. I gasped several times as the ante of the story upped (weird way to phrase that, its early), and for something so short it contains a lot of worldbuilding and some pretty magnificent set-pieces. I hope to read more of Kyo and her adventures.

Rating: At Least Three Schemes Nested Inside One Another, and A Whole Galaxy of Adventure
Thank you! The heist genre was an ambitious choice and I wasn't sure I could pull it of. But once I had the idea to go a little Ocean's Eleven, it was very hard not go for it. I had great fun with fitting the three prompts together and then turning them on their head a little and I'm glad it worked.

I swear, though, next time I'm writing light and fluffy. LIGHT AND FLUFFY. I have so much lightness and fluffiness to give the world!
And then I look at your avatar and think 'Suuuure. trying to lull people in a false sense of security, eh?" :roll:

I'm...dubious.

(my next story is gonna be about unicorns)
I still have an unfinished piece somewhere about a murderous unicorn that got ensnared unintentionally and now wants revenge on anything it can sink its horn in. Oh yes, all light and fluffy, them unicorns. :ROFL:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
*snip*

I swear, though, next time I'm writing light and fluffy. LIGHT AND FLUFFY. I have so much lightness and fluffiness to give the world!

:ROFL: Sure you are.

I think I might be the only one of the lot of us that got anywhere near light and fluffy. (light and fluffy is my stock in trade)

I still have an unfinished piece somewhere about a murderous unicorn that got ensnared unintentionally and now wants revenge on anything it can sink its horn in. Oh yes, all light and fluffy, them unicorns. :ROFL:

I've read more stories about unicorns being nasty, evil creatures than I have about them being light and fluffy. *G* That long pointy horn on their forehead isn't there for decoration, you know. And for the record - I would totally read that story, FF!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I've read more stories about unicorns being nasty, evil creatures than I have about them being light and fluffy. *G* That long pointy horn on their forehead isn't there for decoration, you know. And for the record - I would totally read that story, FF!

I mean, any animal that can win a fight against a dragon 100% of the time is no joke.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I swear, I am capable of it. Like, it will probably still contain a statutory minimum of disembowellings, but it will be much lighter in tone. You can only wallow in unrelenting misery so long without a breather.

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* I haven’t had time to do any reading :( I hope to get to it this week though!
With all of the reviews everything sounds spectacular, let alone the tempting excerpts from everyone! Just gonna dive in and read straight through!

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Hah, and here I was thinking I was being original, having mostly read the other sort of unicorn-stories. :roll:Might dust if off one of these days now that the soltice swaps have energised me a little, I stopped writing it back then because it was turning darker than the sort of stuff I wanted to write, but after this last swap, I think I can probably take it now.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Just a bump to the thread to let everyone who's stories I haven't gotten to yet, that I haven't forgotten, just life stuff has gotten the better of me and I promise to get to them somewhat soon.

I probably just need a few more gallons of the Lord's good stuff :Coffee:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* I haven’t had time to do any reading :( I hope to get to it this week though!
With all of the reviews everything sounds spectacular, let alone the tempting excerpts from everyone! Just gonna dive in and read straight through!

Isn't it 'fun' when RL gets in the way? Hope you get some time for reading soon.

Hah, and here I was thinking I was being original, having mostly read the other sort of unicorn-stories. :roll:Might dust if off one of these days now that the soltice swaps have energised me a little, I stopped writing it back then because it was turning darker than the sort of stuff I wanted to write, but after this last swap, I think I can probably take it now.

*g* I think unicorns being nasty, vicious creatures is far more interesting. I read one story where the unicorns were partnered with mages, and the unicorns were renown for having filthy minds and a very bawdy sense of humour. *g* (the story was actually m/m romance, but the unicorns were great!)

I have not managed to get any story reading done for a couple of weeks now. I was meant to be working on a fanfic and my 'epic' fantasy story, but then a quasi-historical idea jumped up and grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let go, so I've spent the last week or so researching, so I have a basic idea of what really happened... and can figure out what will change for my story. Sometimes I think my muse has a very malicious sense of humour. I don't DO historicals. The last time I tried, I got too overwhelmed with the facts and trying to find out exactly how things worked. *sigh*

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Just a bump to the thread to let everyone who's stories I haven't gotten to yet, that I haven't forgotten, just life stuff has gotten the better of me and I promise to get to them somewhat soon.

I probably just need a few more gallons of the Lord's good stuff :Coffee:

Isn't it 'fun' when RL gets in the way? Hope you get some time for reading soon.

Right. So close to getting them all reviewed, gotta get back to it.

I'm finally back on track with no distractions until the next Sisyphus. Don't get bogged down in research Jay, its the tool of the devil (or at least the Writer's Devil).

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Same here. I WILL be sending a note to everyone once I've read your stories, I promise! Hopefully I'll get the chance over the next few days.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I had to travel to NY, was in a place with no internet for over a week but I'm back now! I've read about half the stories and I'm going to slowly trickle in the reviews. :D You guys are so talented.

The Passenger is Here by Kevin Bartolotta was full of deep writing and world building. Plus dangerous jazz music. The plot is layered, so while at first you think you know who the big bad is, you soon realize that we are fighting an immortal myth, not an actual villain. It's surreal, which adds to the oddity, which really pulls the reader in deeply. At times the main character isn't sure who he is. The characters go through so many changes, and there's a lingering question of if they're the savior or the devil. It almost seems that every character is the prisoner, yet none are at all. Regardless, The Passenger is Here is a wonderfully written story.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The Passenger is Here by Kevin Bartolotta was full of deep writing and world building. Plus dangerous jazz music. The plot is layered, so while at first you think you know who the big bad is, you soon realize that we are fighting an immortal myth, not an actual villain. It's surreal, which adds to the oddity, which really pulls the reader in deeply. At times the main character isn't sure who he is. The characters go through so many changes, and there's a lingering question of if they're the savior or the devil. It almost seems that every character is the prisoner, yet none are at all. Regardless, The Passenger is Here is a wonderfully written story.

Heh, I think that's what I was going for. But thank you Blinkk (yay!). One of these days I'm going to go back and rewrite it, a few more drafts can't hurt. Thing that scares me, besides the fact that it was a bit of a depressing story, is the fact that it's just screaming to be a full novel. So it's gotta get in line.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I think that's what I was going for. But thank you Blinkk (yay!). One of these days I'm going to go back and rewrite it, a few more drafts can't hurt. Thing that scares me, besides the fact that it was a bit of a depressing story, is the fact that it's just screaming to be a full novel. So it's gotta get in line.

omg I feel you. I read certain passages and I was just thinking, "If Kev had more time, I bet this part would've been expanded. I can just feel it." There were so many layers happening. If you do expand it, I would love to read the next part you come up with.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
omg I feel you. I read certain passages and I was just thinking, "If Kev had more time, I bet this part would've been expanded. I can just feel it." There were so many layers happening. If you do expand it, I would love to read the next part you come up with.

Oh God no, I just came up with a ton of ideas to expand it last night and had to cram them down as hard as possible. Why brain, why?

But I wish I would have spent more time on the human sacrifice scene, which is a common issue with all my writing.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still alive and kicking! Just couldn't get to any reading for a while, but I'm back now with a hot take on justobuddies' King's Prison: It's good folks. As justobuddies has said, it's not quite finished, but that doesn't mean it's not fascinating. It's a great framework for a lot of cool WTH moments and stories within a story. My favorite is the people who've been alive for centuries in a labyrinthine prison--it reminded me of a book I read from the Deathgate Cycle when I was in high school. I was dragged in and enjoying all the little, horrifying details when I noticed I was at the end of the scroll bar. I want more!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
t reminded me of a book I read from the Deathgate Cycle when I was in high school.

Did someone just mention Deathgate in this thread?

*Goes on nostalgia trip so hard he come out of it a fundamentally different person*

Zifnab is an anagram of Fizban.

(BTW, which book were you thinking of? The third or the fifth one?)

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Did someone just mention Deathgate in this thread?

*Goes on nostalgia trip so hard he come out of it a fundamentally different person*

Zifnab is an anagram of Fizban.

(BTW, which book were you thinking of? The third or the fifth one?)

Uh oh. I've misled you. As an oblivious lad of fifteen, I was looking for fantasy books in the school library one day when I stumbled across a book called Elven Star. It checked all the genre boxes, so I read it, never bothering to look at anything but the title and cover image. One of the upsides to having terrible reading comprehension at the time is I had no idea I was reading a sequel. Or maybe that says something about how much fantasy books ask their readers to accept at face value. Either way, I've only read the second book, and one of the few things I remember is people scrounging around in a labyrinth, something about trees, and swords made of wood.

I've always meant to go back and read the entire series from book one, but I've never gotten around to it.