What makes an mg protagonist interesting?

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
So for you readers and writers of middle grade, what have you found makes a protagonist particularly interesting and exciting to you?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
They don't even have to be interesting or exciting, in the sense of 'quirky' or 'unusual'. They can be the personification of 'everykid', as long as they're involved in interesting things. It's how they relate to the story that appeals to me.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can be attracted to any MC depending on the writing, honestly. I've enjoyed books with spunky MCs, with out-for-vengeance and humorless MCs, with MCs who are essentially the "everykid", with precocious MCs who are smarter than the adults around them...

What I would really love to see more of, however, is a vulnerable, earnest MC a la WONDER, or an unabashedly whimsical and girly MC like in FURTHERMORE. Haven't been able to find many MCs like them, though.

maghranimal

Registered
Reaction score
It's not really any different than YA or A. There are of course things that appeal to children more so than adults or teens, but there are plenty of intelligent and complicated MG MC's out there.

Inti1996

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the type of story but in general you want the protagonist to be relatable or interesting and show some growth/change.

Pat Waldron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
readandwritelikeawriter.blogspot.com
The main character is different than the supporting cast. The main character is wrapped up in the story. They're dealing with the story problem. Whereas every other character in the book has a mystery to them because they don't necessarily overcome a flaw and/or a problem because that's the main character's job. Sometimes they do, but they're smaller than the main character's role.

If there's more than one main character, the same thing comes up. The main characters solve their foibles, the supporting cast not yet.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
When the main character is a three dimensional person. Not a "kid". Not someone that represents a theme or value. A complicated being. Fully rounded with flaws, good traits, complex thoughts and a sense of humour.