What if you receive an offer while working on a R&R?

Eluveitie

Registered
Reaction score
i am currently working on an exclusive R&R with an agent. However, I still have a good number of full and partial requests out with other agents. What happens if one of those agents offers while I am working on the R&R? I really love this agent's suggestions and would love to work with her, but it feels impolite to ask the other agents to stop reading while I'm working on the R&R.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you have fulls and partials out with other agents, you can't give the R&R agent an exclusive. Or am I missing something here?

Eluveitie

Registered
Reaction score
If you have fulls and partials out with other agents, you can't give the R&R agent an exclusive. Or am I missing something here?

We agreed that I wouldn't submit the revised manuscript to anyone else before she takes a look at it and gives me an answer. But the previous versions of the manuscript are still out with other agents.

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you are making the book better in your r&r. I don't think, if i truly felt that, that I'd be happy to go back and work on a lesser version with another agent. I'd wait and see if you do get other offers and what they say, they might all make the same comments about improvements.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Honesty and transparency. You're looking for a business partner; you need to be straight with them about your mutual business.

1) I'd notify the R&R agent right away (unless for some reason I'd decided the offering agent was clearly a bad fit, in which case I'd politely decline their offer and move on).

2) If I liked both the R&R agent and the new agent, I'd give the R&R agent some sort of deadline - 2 weeks, perhaps - and notify the offering agent of the timeframe and the reason.

3) If I preferred the offering agent, I'd withdraw my R&R from the original agent and thank them for all of their time and help.

4) If I preferred the R&R agent...it would depend on why, and how much, but I wouldn't leave the offering agent hanging unless I was taking their offer seriously.