How to break the rules?

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
One of my Scot friends tried to convince me the easiest way to tell a Kiwi from an Aussie is whether they say mate. Maaaaaate, did he get that wrong. It’s all about the vowels :p

I like to lob a pair of flip-flops at potential Kiwis, hide behind the nearest tree, and listen for, "Is someone throwing jandals?"

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, yep. The Aussies get it out more like: fiiiiiish and chiiiiips

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like to lob a pair of flip-flops at potential Kiwis, hide behind the nearest tree, and listen for, "Is someone throwing jandals?"

Good test! Heh. At least we don’t call them, “thongs” like Queenslanders... that caused me so much confusion.

Last edited:

ikennedy

Registered
Reaction score
I call "flip flops" "thongs" and I'm from Sydney and live in Adelaide.
But yes, Aussie: fiiish ind chiiips, Kiwi: fush end chups

Sarahani

Banned
Reaction score
To break the rules two things are important: To know the rules and to understand why they have to be followed. It may sounds simple and logic but it is fundamental. If you don't know the rule it lead you not to break them but to go nowhere. If one don't know hoe to compose phrase and the reason why the basic sentence is at least composed with a subject and a verb. One will not understand why a simple word can be used as sentence. The rules are first to help you learn and grow like a parent teaching his child how to ride a bike and then when the child has the fundamental he can decide to ride a bike without using his hands or sitting on the bicycle handlebar or whatever fantasy catches him. To be revolutionary isn't about breaking the rules but about overcoming them.