Confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
I'm noticing as I'm writing my series that although I enjoy the story I am crafting and I believe in my writing I still feel a lack of confidence in myself when I compare myself to my favorite authors. Is this common or is this actually a red flag that something isn't right in my work?

On an aside, how is everyone else doing? I hope you're all having a good day!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Porting to Roundtable

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
No, I'd say it's all too common - everyone thinks their own work sucks. The old saying is something along the lines of "You're always your own worst critic" The key is knowing when you're doing the critique to procrastine or justify not writing further. If you constantly say that your own work sucks without getting input from others (i.e. beta readers, or SYW (make sure you're at the 50 post minimum before submitting) kinda stuff) then you'll never publish.

Of course I literally have no room to talk as I have about a paragraph of my latest WIP that I like - the rest is complete trash

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Never compare your first drafts to other people's finals. :) Your favorite authors had their horrible first drafts which were probably not too different from yours. Compare the write you are today to th writer you were yesterday. That's the only person you'll see every draft of.

folclor

Left-Handed Writing Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angrypossumpublishing.xyz
I know exactly how that feels! But, really, as you keep going I'd suggest trying not to stress so much. Get it all out, then go back and fix. And once you've done your fixing, you can find a writing buddy or a beta reader (or a few) and then talk about how good or bad you are! But you're not likely bad. And even the best feel they aren't good sometimes, you know.

But I would highly suggest the SYW forum when you get the requisite post count. It's really helpful.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't compare myself to other authors because - well because it just doesn't occur to me (and how would you anyway? Unless you mean compare sales...?) - but in the early stages of a book, I approach almost every new day's work with a totally appropriate sense of helpless dread. I only know to push through it. Once the words start coming, the feelings generally turn.

It's like the terrible feeling on a cold morning when you're standing at the edge of the ocean, about to plunge in. The longer you feed that feeling, the stronger it grows.

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
As a person who has always wanted to be perceived as original in everything I do, it's never even occurred to me to compare my own writing with others.

I can however compare my current writing with where I was when I started and I know that I am now completely comfortable with myself.

Mind you, I probably was years ago also...and now I know that I used to be crap.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
It's a common enough affliction and I've been kicked by that same mule on many occasions. Comparing ourselves to other writers is enervating, though, and too often we fail to consider we're comparing our own writing—usually a draft—to a polished, finished product that has been professionally edited. That's key, I think, and it's something to try to keep in mind.

I'll never be Alice Munro and that's okay; there's only one Alice Munro and the world doesn't need another. The only thing left to do is to be the best I can be and the only way to accomplish that is to put in the work and gain the experience necessary. If comparing myself to another writer is going to stop me dead in my tracks (and it will if I let it because it has before), I'll never be any farther along as a writer than I am today. But, yes, I do know exactly how it feels and how stultifying it can be to compare myself to another writer. My advice is don't do it. And if you've acquired the habit, try to break it.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Seeing flaws is a good thing. It's the only way we know what to polish and fix.

If you look at your writing and it seems fantastic I'd be more wary. Every person I've ever met who thought their writing was fantastic, was suffering from a bad case of Dunning Kruger.

Even "good" or successful authors are often down on their craft. Hyper critical goes with the territory I guess.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh come on, Harlequin. :Hug2: Nothing wrong with having a late glass of wine and thinking our work's fantastic.

Can have a good night's sleep on that, and then get back to reality in the morning.

'Fantastic' may not be as far away as we think.

It may just be around the corner.

It just sometimes seems a heck of a long way to the next corner. :snoopy:

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I dunno, I guess i'ts a bit like that scene in the Matrix where Neo sees through the "reality" and it's just lists of numbers.

See through the writing and it's not prose, just a slew of mistakes in need of polish.

But either way I don't really mean feeling occasional moments of pride over this or that bit. Everyone does, I'm sure. Can't be unhappy wiht it ALL the time or it has no enjoyment!

Just, as a whole, people who think they are fantastic writers full stop, I'm wary of.*

**And I'm allergic to wine. :p

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just, as a whole, people who think they are fantastic writers full stop, I'm wary of.*

My writing is so amazing I sometimes have to stop and kiss my own hands as I write.

*dies laughing*

OP, what you're feeling is totally natural. Most of the time I can only write by doing word sprints, 'cause that's the only way I can outrun the inner editor going, "This is drivel. Oh my god this is SO BAD. Just stop already." Sometimes I have to resort to typing with my eyes closed, just so I don't have to look at the pile of crap I'm coming up with.

And I never compare myself to my favorite authors. That would be waaaay too depressing. I think I've just kinda accepted that my favorite authors are geniuses and I will never get to their level, which is fine. I *do* compare myself to mediocre books, though. :D They give me confidence. Or well, frustration in the form of "Wut??! That sold and mine didn't?! !^%$^@#!^%@#!"

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Seeing flaws in your craft and hating those flaws is absolutely normal, but, on the flip side, you should never be ashamed of liking your own work. I am personally not down with the "lol I hate everything I've ever done" thing. It genuinely pisses me off. You absolutely should think your stories are interesting, fun, meaningful - whatever you're trying to achieve. If they're not interesting to you, make them so. Write the things you want to read.

This craft is hard. Lifetimes-hard. I've never written a perfect line, and I'm not even sure I want to: all I want is to write the right words for the story I'm telling. But that's incredibly, colossally, stupidly hard. Like everyone else here, I have literally stared at the page wondering if I even know how to form a sentence any more. Some days, I've decided that I don't.

But. That doesn't stop me loving what I am trying to make. It's only because I love the things I'm making - the characters, their stories, their worlds - that I am motivated to try in the first place. Knowing that it could be great, that it could be what I want it to be, if only I worked a bit harder... that pushes me to do better.

It's time to haul out that old Ira Glass quote:

Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.

Try something. Next time you stare at the page and hate everything you've written, reach out to another author you know and tell them something you love about their work. That writer might be feeling just like you, and that compliment could be the motivation they need to keep going. We all feel this kind of imposter syndrome at one point or another, but the important thing is to keep going, keep fighting through. Surround yourself with good people who give you the support you need in that fight. And don't forget to love what you're trying to produce.

SCFAN

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I would like to say that this is a very common feeling amongst writers. We all have our own unique voices, yet many of us lack the confidence to project that voice. I am a teacher in a high-performing elementary school. I have four other outstanding teachers at my grade level. When I transferred into that school, for several years I felt intimidated, even down. I found myself stressing out trying to be like 'them', not me. My principal finally got it through my thick head that I have my own unique style that benefit the kids. Since then, I no longer compare myself to my colleagues, and my internal happiness and confidence has soared as a result.

I suggest the same be said of our writing.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Well, if it pisses you off then fair enough, but I can't really change how I feel on a whim. It is what it is.

I am interested in the ideas I am exploring. I am interested in learning how to communicate better with other humans. I feel compelled to scribble out thoughts that otherwise itch inside my head. And I do take satisfaction in a project being completed, even ones where I don't enjoy the story much.

Liking what I produce, though, has never come into it. Nor do I feel the need for that. Can't miss what you don't know. I guess apathy would be a better description than dislike? Real, visceral dislike is probably pretty crippling for productivity and enjoyment.

Everyone has their own method ;-) It's normal for most people to hate some things they've written and take pride in other places. People will probably vary in how much they experience of the former or the latter; I feel like it's only a problem if it's stopping you from writing, or stopping you from improving.

Last edited:

ReignaFTW

Registered
Reaction score
OP, definitely a normal feeling that hits people at all stages in their careers. The key is to use it as an inspiration to improve rather than cripple you. Easier said than done, especially on those tough days, but know that you're not alone in experiencing this.

Lielac

Registered
Reaction score
I remember comparing myself to the writing of authors I consider good and saying to myself "man, I could never be as amazing, what's the point then", but there seems to have been a change in my thinking at some point, because now I say "oh hey, they do that thing I was worrying about (first person past tense as the latest example), I can do it too!" Neither, I think, are bad or warning signs.

And then there's the looking at the work of authors that I consider, mm, less than perfectly amazing, and thinking "Wow, if this kind of stuff gets published, I must have a chance." I don't know if that's helpful for everyone, but it makes me feel better about my writing.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Stephen King says to become a better writer "Read much, write much." I can tell you from my own experience that usually we get better. And gain confidence.

I don't so much compare my writing to others as say, "Neat way of doing that! I can steal that trick." Look at the positive not the negative of your comparisons. We can use them to get a leg up toward becoming a better writer.

And your recognizing a deficiency is the first step to eliminating it.

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
No, I'd say it's all too common - everyone thinks their own work sucks. The old saying is something along the lines of "You're always your own worst critic" The key is knowing when you're doing the critique to procrastine or justify not writing further. If you constantly say that your own work sucks without getting input from others (i.e. beta readers, or SYW (make sure you're at the 50 post minimum before submitting) kinda stuff) then you'll never publish.

Of course I literally have no room to talk as I have about a paragraph of my latest WIP that I like - the rest is complete trash

I cannot express how much this helps! Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Never compare your first drafts to other people's finals. :) Your favorite authors had their horrible first drafts which were probably not too different from yours. Compare the write you are today to th writer you were yesterday. That's the only person you'll see every draft of.

This is exactly what i needed to read. thank you!

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
I don't compare myself to other authors because - well because it just doesn't occur to me (and how would you anyway? Unless you mean compare sales...?) - but in the early stages of a book, I approach almost every new day's work with a totally appropriate sense of helpless dread. I only know to push through it. Once the words start coming, the feelings generally turn.

It's like the terrible feeling on a cold morning when you're standing at the edge of the ocean, about to plunge in. The longer you feed that feeling, the stronger it grows.

This speaks to me. Thank you!

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
It's a common enough affliction and I've been kicked by that same mule on many occasions. Comparing ourselves to other writers is enervating, though, and too often we fail to consider we're comparing our own writing—usually a draft—to a polished, finished product that has been professionally edited. That's key, I think, and it's something to try to keep in mind.

I'll never be Alice Munro and that's okay; there's only one Alice Munro and the world doesn't need another. The only thing left to do is to be the best I can be and the only way to accomplish that is to put in the work and gain the experience necessary. If comparing myself to another writer is going to stop me dead in my tracks (and it will if I let it because it has before), I'll never be any farther along as a writer than I am today. But, yes, I do know exactly how it feels and how stultifying it can be to compare myself to another writer. My advice is don't do it. And if you've acquired the habit, try to break it.

This is much appreciated! Thank you!

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, I guess i'ts a bit like that scene in the Matrix where Neo sees through the "reality" and it's just lists of numbers.

See through the writing and it's not prose, just a slew of mistakes in need of polish.

But either way I don't really mean feeling occasional moments of pride over this or that bit. Everyone does, I'm sure. Can't be unhappy wiht it ALL the time or it has no enjoyment!

**And I'm allergic to wine. :p

I get what you're saying! I also cannot drink wine. Grape products give me migraines

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
My writing is so amazing I sometimes have to stop and kiss my own hands as I write.

*dies laughing*

OP, what you're feeling is totally natural. Most of the time I can only write by doing word sprints, 'cause that's the only way I can outrun the inner editor going, "This is drivel. Oh my god this is SO BAD. Just stop already." Sometimes I have to resort to typing with my eyes closed, just so I don't have to look at the pile of crap I'm coming up with.

And I never compare myself to my favorite authors. That would be waaaay too depressing. I think I've just kinda accepted that my favorite authors are geniuses and I will never get to their level, which is fine. I *do* compare myself to mediocre books, though. :D They give me confidence. Or well, frustration in the form of "Wut??! That sold and mine didn't?! !^%$^@#!^%@#!"

lol I get this completely! I love your sense of humor

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
"This craft is hard. Lifetimes-hard. I've never written a perfect line, and I'm not even sure I want to: all I want is to write the right words for the story I'm telling. But that's incredibly, colossally, stupidly hard."

I need to engrave this in gold and hang it above my desk!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.