April Challenge - Write Every Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMorrison

Registered
Reaction score
@Keithy, Great job. It's always better to find out now that the story tells better from a single POV instead of 3.

Nice Job Layla.

Congrats on the 1K Alessandra & April

D.L, sometimes I live by the words "It's just a draft, I can fix it later" So easy to get caught up in trying to improve something that doesn't sound quite right.

Impressive work xenylic, 45k words for April!

I put another 1,133 down today making it 6 straight writing days of 1K+. Been on a great roll and hope to keep it going.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
DanMorrison, you are breaking the writing sound barrier!

What did I do today?

Firstly I realised what happens in Chapter 5 does not need to happen just yet. Then I realised one of my main characters needed a different job title. He was a priest, then a warrior priest. Now he is a former "demon hunter".

So... I have a new Chapter 5 and a tentative chapter 6 that was previously chapter 4. It's all a bit ragged, but having only one POV helps enormously.

Swim swim swim.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Alessandra, congrats on the 1K!

April - whoa - another 1K-er.

DL - congrats on getting two more pages done - god bless ye - rewrites iz hard

Xen - I see you're going mad strong as usual - I"m not sure how many K to congratulate you on, so take congrats on all of em, please!

Dan - likewise - 1.3K - wow - everybody here is going like gangbusters. Save a seat for me at the club - I'll be there one day!

Keithy - you're my posting buddy - sometimes we post so close together that I don't even see you before I post. keep swimming, friend - I'm out here, too!

Day 24 - 1/4 page. eking along (funny - the gerund form of eke looks strange…) Returned two of the pairs of jeans that I got last week, (and looked for shirts - nothing at this mall, despite there being 3 floors…) and doing something for a $$ project.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Layla - Eking along is still getting along, so kudos to that ^^ And good luck with your $$ project.

Keithy - I reiterate: just keep swimming, just keep swimming, because it sounds like you're making some great progress.

Sorry I'm not delving back for more peeps and their awesome accomplishments, but, uh, I had a bad medical scare on Saturday night. One that involved my heart. So I've been dealing with the physical/emotional fallout of that. I'm perfectly okay, what they found wasn't Big And Scary like I'd feared, but something that can be helped with a course of ibuprofen. (Basically, inflammation.) Uncomfortable, but not as bad as I'd feared. So, needless to say, writing's kinda taken a back seat XD I'm hoping to get back into it on Wednesday though. Here's hoping!

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
D.L. I often use food as a reward when I’m drafting, basically treating myself like a dog. Yeah, if you don’t know how to fix the scene right now, keep plugging on, and I’m sure the answer will arrive when you’re focused on something else. There can’t be many pages left in the to-do pile!

xenylic: Thank you :) This is the first time I’ve properly worked on two projects at once and it hasn’t been as hellish as I’d imagined. Keep taking those deep breaths. It’s fantastic you hit 40k (and sounds like the writing itself was golden) and I’m sure you’ll hit your bonus goal. But please keep looking after yourself. There’s only so much one brain can handle!

Dan: You’re really in the writing groove! You must feel really good about it.

Keep swimming, Keithy!

Layla: It looks like it should be pronounced ek - ing (like, the e in egg, rather than eel). Words are strange. But the pages are still coming and that’s all that matters. Slow and steady wins the race :)

thereeness: K you’re definitely allowed to skip mentions if you’ve had a heart scare! So glad it’s treatable. That must have been frightening… Take it easy (hug).

I needed another cookie yesterday to get me to the end of my chapter (I think it was around 1000 words). One bite every 200. Works a charm every time. I also ID’d a plot hole on my way to the gym, but managed to fix it during my evening walk.
I’m now away from home for the next few nights, staying in a sweet house with awesome views and tons of books. It should be conducive to productive writing. I want to push the next couple of days to rough-draft the missing chaps from Project B. All I have to do is avoid the stash of good red wine in the rack…

Day 24: Decent bit; 9.5 miles; late-night wine.

Ed8350

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new on here but I've been trying to get involved around the boards. I blog mainly for my movie stuff so generally I'm writing reviews daily which is a lot of fun. I only cover movies I like so I don't throw no shade or look down on creative folk or anything. Too much negativity out there online as it is. SO my main accomplishment today was swallowing hesitation and getting down a chapter in my novel. I'm excited by it. I love my world. I'm writing for myself and as long as I keep having fun with it and my characters I'm gonna keep at it. Realistically it won't be every day cause I'm very busy with life, as I'm sure a lot of you are, but I'm planning to keep at it and popping back to let folk know how I'm getting on and hopefully be encouraged by you guys and gals with your own writing.

I think it's super important to have a community of fellow writers because let's be honest it can be quite an isolating hobby/job/career at times. Nothing wrong with sharing our accomplishments and cheering one another on.

Cheers.

xenylic

Advancing to the Castle Age
Registered
Reaction score
Ed8350: Welcome! And congrats on doing a whole chapter, that's great! There's no better reason to write than the euphoria of immersing into the world you've concocted. I hope, as time goes on, that hesitation dwindles in your mind. Writing should be an exploration of expression and wonder; it's a shame we get too caught up doing things the "correct" or "skillful" way.

April Swanson: Gah! Plot holes! My worst nightmare! I'm glad you can deal with it poise and efficiency. Plot holes can suck the life out of our project if we let him crawl underneath our skin. Also, congrats on ≈1000 words written. Also, I'm jealous of that writing environment. I always like to write in a like a private library or something with the secluded, meditative feel to it.

thereeness: I'm so sorry for the medical scare, but relieved it's a—relatively—minor problem. Take care of yourself during this nerve-racking time. I hope it comes to pass quickly!

Layla Nahar: You'd think things like that would be easy now, wouldn't you? If we weren't the ones under the bus, it'd be a marvel at how stubborn misfortune can be at times. Welp, I commend you for sticking through it, and getting that 1/4 page done today. Hope the road even outs today. Every little bit counts!

Keithy: I think you've struck gold. When everything starts to move around like that, something big is finally clicking. Don't get too caught up on the reconstruction woes. It's merely shedding older skin for new, fuller coat. Keep it up!

DanMorrison: Congrats on the 1,133, and a 6 x 1k/day word streak! The law of attraction is rising high for you right now! Savor every moment, and keep those good times rolling! Good job!

I'm feeling genuinely good right now. I got 1k in today in a very tight window (at least by my standards; I write abominably slowly). I also cleaned up a lot last night around my house, read 60 pages, and went out this afternoon for lunch. Between the time crunch, and my unfortunately rough night with sleeping, I really pulled through for myself, despite my exhaustion.

That being said, the day is not done. Unfortunately, I have to go out again late tonight, but I'm starting to see the finish line for this month. My 45k land mark is >3,000 words away, and I'm really starting to get those butterflies in my stomach! The end is nigh!

Last edited:

DanMorrison

Registered
Reaction score
Keithy, I'm riding the wave and don't want to stop. "Former Demon Hunter" sounds pretty cool and seems like it must have an interesting story behind it.

Layla, keep moving forward.

thereeness, hope everything is okay.

April, congrats on the words and earning another cookie (that sounds like an awesome idea though)

Ed, welcome and congrats on a chapter.

xenylic, sounds like a very productive day. Congrats on the 1K and I'm sure you'll hit your 45k

I had a very productive day as all 3 of my WIPs seemed to want to have at least some of their story told. I ended up with 1523 words (best day of the month so far) and puts me at just over 13K for the month. I keep up like this and I may be able to hit 15K!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
OK I've got 6 chapters outlined almost-properly now, after quite a bit of moving things around, getting people's motivations sorted out, etc. There's a few scraps of dialogue there too. So the bricks are coming together. The main villain turns up in the first chapter (that always helps) and I know what is coming next: a quest! With enemies, weird temples and statues! So, all going well.

xenylic - almost there! I can't wait to start writing... but I'm holding horses here.

April Swanson - oh, plot holes, they can be horrible if you don't catch them early.

Keep on swimming!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa - reeness - I'm so glad to hear that you dodged a Big Scary bullet. Take it easy for a bit if you can

April - cookies and 1000 words sounds nice! Enjoy that view and those books :)

Welcome, Ed - it's great to do things that make you happy - congrats on that chapter!

Xen - congrats on your 1 K - and the housecleaning - it's so easy to let the other stuff fall by the wayside, just to get those words in. I've really come to appreciate balance.

Dan - that's just great - 3 is the magic # IMO - congrats on that 1.5K.

Day 25 - 1/4 page. Enough is as good as a feast.
Something came up - dealing with that. Some more concrete work on a $$ project (actual writing, after a lot of research) - also did groceries and some cooking - saving that lunch money ftw!

How many days now? 5 days? 6? Keep at it y'all!

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Ed: Hello! Yes, too much negativity out there, so it’s important we create and maintain safe spaces where we can connect and grow. Good luck with your novel!

xenylic: It was more a plot inconsistency than a major hole… I’ve had major holes in the past that have sent me spinning. I’m so glad you’re feeling good! I’m confident you’ll smash that goal :)

Dan: Another great day for you! You’re proof that momentum breeds momentum. Good luck hitting the 15k :)

Keithy: Hurrah! Love a good quest. Sounds like things are clicking into place. I usually get dialogue down first too. Yes, plot holes are horrible. That moment of realisation always makes my stomach plummet.

Layla: Good job managing your 1/4 page even when a thing arose. (Hope you’re managing to squish it back down.) Home-made food always tastes better :)

I dragged myself to 1000 words yesterday by drafting bits and bobs over different chapters. I would have called the day a success except it took me SIX HOURS to get the words down. If I’d focused, I could have finished in an hour and then spent the rest of the day reading and walking. But no, I chose to write with my screen split between Scrivener and Friends on Netflix (a known recipe for productivity). Sigh. I’m considering taking today off and enjoying my time away from home. I’ve got chapters to edit but I really need access to a printer before I can tackle them (she says, searching for excuses). Hm. I’ll see how guilty I feel by lunch!

Day 25: Decent bit; 4 miles; 11 episodes of Friends (Series 3 – the classic years).

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
xenylic: So sorry to read that you've been having such a tough time of it lately, although it seems like you were feeling a bit better when you wrote your second post since I last checked in. Hang in there! Summer break is just around the bend.

Dan: That's some roll to be on! Hope it continues straight through to the very last sentence!

thereeness: Wow...that must have been some scare. So glad what they found is treatable. Rest up, heal up, and feel better!

Keithy: Sounds like you are moving along nicely with your outlining and plotting. Glad you are having fun with this new project. "Former Demon Hunter" sounds like a pretty cool job description! (Heck, it would even make for a good title!)

Layla: Planning meals is always a pain in the rear, but it definitely helps with the budget! Nice work on the 1/4 page, and hoping that the extra "something" that came up for you is nothing too serious.

Ed: Welcome aboard...and nice job drafting that chapter!

April: It's funny you say you "treat yourself like a dog." In my household, the dogs eat better, have better health care, and don't even have to go to work! Not a bad gig. And, speaking of "not bad," 1,000 words in six hours is great considering you were watching tv too! Good for you sticking it out even when you really wanted to be doing something else.

On Tuesday I got nothing at all done, but yesterday I sat myself in that chair for four hours (split between two sessions), and I edited 12 more pages. 21 pages to go! In the meantime, I also got my edits back from my publisher for book 1 just yesterday, and they seem extensive, so when I'm done with this draft I will be setting book 2 aside for a bit to tackle that.

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
Well, thread, you'll never believe this, but today I wrote... 5,133 words!! And these aren't just any words, they are words in the WIP that I've been stuck in for over a month (I put all my time and energy into the other WIP I have because I couldn't figure out what to do with this one moving forward.) I'm so excited! Now that I've got my groove back, I'm hoping I can ride this word-a-thon until my fingers fall off.

D.L. - four hours!! Great job! You are so close to being done with that draft! And good luck with your edits!

April - hey, six hours or no, at least you got that 1k done! Congrats!

Layla - hope whatever came up isn't too hard to deal with, and great job with all the little positives you did today!

Keithy - I'm glad things are going well! Villains have a tendency to help move things forward.

Dan - congrats on your word count! And 3 WIPs is awesome, you can get all of them moving forward in a single day! (I'm so jealous, haha)

Xenylic - I'm happy to hear that you are feeling good and getting those words down! I hope you meet your month goal!

Ed - welcome and cheers! I've found this thread to be really helpful in keeping myself accountable for my daily writing habit, so I hope you do, too!

thereeness - I'm so sorry to hear about your scare (I've had a few, and they are emotionally really hard), and I hope you get to feeling more like yourself and can get back to writing once the dust settles again. :)

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Made a lightning trip out of town for a job interview (which was a bit discouraging) but even so I managed to put words down in a spiral notebook so as not to lose momentum. Very very close to the end of this short draft. It’s about as scientifically plausible as an episode of Star Trek, but I’m not shooting for a pro market anyway. Will glad to be done.

DanMorrison

Registered
Reaction score
Had to cut the writing day short as work is interfering (pesky work). Still managed 1,067 words and it seems one WIP in particular is really taking over in clarity.

xenylic

Advancing to the Castle Age
Registered
Reaction score
DanMorrison: Congrats on 1,067! Especially at a shortened time frame at that!

Taylor Harbin: Anything goes in crunch time, man. Don't worry about it, at the absolute worst, it's laying the ground work for a better revision. Good job!

heykatydid: Creative droughts are a funny thing. I feel like the longer they go on, the more build up there is, waiting to burst, like a clogged pipe. That's incredible! Save this moment for a rainy day as proof that persistence pays dividends.

D.L.: Thanks, I'm counting the amount of classes I have left to endure! Even in two session, four hours of revisions sounds exhausting, but you can't say it doesn't show. 21 pages is so palpably close! And I hope you don't feel overwhelmed with the timing of your editors notes on book 1. You're movin' along nicely! Keep it up!

April Swanson: Ooph! Those types of day are slogfests! I commend you for sticking it out for that 1k. It's so easy to tap the mat after ten/twenty minutes of being stuck in writing. It might not show on the page, but you were working overtime yesterday, so it's natural to be considering a breather. Obviously, you gotta do what your best judgment call is, so if that's rest, rest hard and long!

Layla Nahar: Speaking of, your juggling tasks like they're filled with helium! I hope the thing that came up isn't too much of an obstruction. Getting those essentials done while adding another 1/4 page is awesome!

Keithy: Oooh, that sounds good! I'm glad you're excited to get started and feel the pieces come together! That's what it's all about!

I slid into another 1k words today. Time was ample, but again, my energy is sapped. I didn't sleep well last night, and it's really making the backside of this week harder than it ought to be. Oh, well, classes are done for this week. I'm within 2,000 words of 45k for book #2, and now I'm really itching to write a new blog post in the next weekend or two. I haven't done that (nor felt the urge) in a while so that's uplifting.

Otherwise, I need to keep on reading, and I got to prepare for local writing conference that's coming up in early June. I'll be pitching Book #1 to my first choice agent there, and I've got a lot of nerves, notes, and query letters to make! I haven't pitched in person before, so that's gonna be a bit of a challenge. But it's still a month away so *deep breath* need to stay calm and collected. I'm sure I'll figure it all out in time.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
OK I now have a good grasp of what the main plot is from start to finish, spread out over 12 chapters. There might be one or two more, and I am thinking about adding a sub-plot. I've turned a lot of the random jottings into proper notes about the various story components. I intend to look for plot holes and inconsistencies, and ask and find answers for as many questions as possible before I start the writing proper. See... I've learned my lesson the hard way.

Alas, the garden needs more work; the front flower beds need rejigging.

DanMorrison and xenylic - good going, I want to hit 1000 words a day when I get started on the writing.

That's a lot of swimming!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Wow April - congrats on those 1000 words! It sounds like a fun writing session, too.

DL - four hours and 12 pages - great work, friend - & it sounds like it must have been very satisfying.

Katy - wait wot? Wow - this thread is amazing. Everybody is really getting stuff done. Keep riding that wave, K :)

Taylor, congrats on getting those words down, and keeping at it in the face of discouragement. (((hugs)))

Dan, it still sounds like you had some literary Wheaties this morning if you got 1K despite that pesky work. Keep at it!

Xen - Nice work with that 1K (this is one group of wordful people!) I hope you'll have a lovely cozy sleep soon.

woooweee Kiethy - 12 chapters is some great work - and with the gardening - I love gardening - (and swimming ;) )

Day 26 - another 1/4 page.

Ok guys - so it's not just one thing now but two. The 1 is: My new housemate can't stay* - something changed for him and I have to find someone in 5 days or pay the rent myself. *(It was always possible that this would be the case, but a variety of complications - including delays getting his visa - meant that he found out really late that he can't stay.) The other complication - the new temp gig? They let me go. They needed someone faster. I am high on anxiety right now.

One housemate candidate came to look at the place today, and I called another at 8:00. So that's 2 of 3.

Ok, and I started an outline of my my lesson plan for my online J-class - that's based on feedback from my teaching/student buddy - he wanted to see (I forget his exact terms) 'the lay of the land' so to speak. I also did more of that writing for the other $$ project for 3/3.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 27
Yep. Still here. I keep meaning to report in here but then not doing it. But I'm still doing well and working on my writing more than I used to. I do feel I've turned a corner since I started these threads (nine months ago!) Many of the habits I've worked hard on are starting to stick (both with writing and other stuff, like self-care, which is incredibly important).

Sure, there have been rough patches (and I'm sure there will be more). But it just goes to show that you shouldn't give up. (I tweeted about that recently, might help to read if you're having a hard time.)

I'd tell you that NEXT MONTH I'll be a better thread participant, but I'll settle for that I HOPE that I will. I do kind of miss this place.

Keep it up, everyone. You can do it!

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
D.L.: I used to look at my cat and think, god, you’ve got it good. Wow, good effort! Those pages are disappearing fast.

heykaty: Eh what now?! That’s fantastic. Go go groove!

Whoa now, Taylor; don’t be knocking Star Trek! (Unless you’re referring to any series except Next Gen or Discovery, in which case, knock away :p) Good job for getting those words down even on an interview day.

Dan: That’s an impressive count for a day cut short!

xenylic: I can’t believe you’ve written 43k this month on top of all your studies. You’re a machine! I’ve no doubt you’ll go to the con fully prepared.

Keithy: Our processes sound very similar; I stress out if I write too soon and don’t know what’s going on. (I’ve also learned the hard way!) Good luck weeding out those inconsistencies (and actual weeds).

Layla: Big hugs. That sounds so stressful. Fingers crossed you get someone else in. (And you still managed 1/4 page despite the anxiety?!)

Magnus: Habits take time to stick, and they can take a lot of experimentation. You’re doing great :) And thank you again for starting these threads. They really make a difference.

Well, I took the day off! Decided to read all day instead, and enjoy my time away. Unfortunately I have to get back at it today, but I’m hoping the rest will have done me good. On one of my strolls I mapped out the rest of the year and what I’d like to achieve, and realised how little time there is. So basically, the rest of 2018’s challenges are going to be a lot more…challenging.

Day 26: Day off; 10 miles; 200+pages of The Silk Roads.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
heykatydid: Holy crap! 5,000+ ?????? That's awesome! How great to be unstuck and know where you are headed!

Taylor: Sorry the job interview did not go as you had hoped. Cool that you are almost done with the short draft you are working on. That must be a good feeling!

Dan: 1,000+ words is great, especially when that pesky work thing interferes. I didn't realize you were working on multiple projects....do you decide which to work on as the mood strikes? Now that I got my edits back, I'm a little sad to put my current project away after this draft is done, but I'm not sure I'm up for the challenge of working on two novels at once.

xenylic: You are really getting a ton done, especially considering your crazy schedule! How exciting about the pitch conference! I did one once at Thriller Fest. I was so nervous that after I got up from the table where the first agent who asked me to send him my full sat, I got caught on the tablecloth and nearly pulled his coffee cup over. Ha ha! But, it didn't spill, I moved on, got myself together, and I got several other requests that day too. It's how I ended up with my former agent. Good luck!

Keithy: Keep on chugging along. Sounds as if you are doing great!

Layla: Oh, no! I am so sorry to see the new challenges you have to face. I thought things were finally smoothing out for you. You've had such a rough time of this, I hope you catch a break soon.

Magnus: Hey...thanks for the check in! Glad to hear that you are well, and still plugging away at your writing in the background! That's what matters most.

April: Hope you enjoyed your day off to read! I just finished up the last book I was reading, and I'm not starting anything new until things slow up at work after July 4th. I'll probably go through reading withdrawals, but I have so much other stuff on my plate right now, I don't want to get sucked in to a book and feel as if I can't put it down!

I had a busy day yesterday, so I only managed 45 minutes / about a page of edits. 20 pages left. Four days left in the month. I can do this. I *have* to do this.

DanMorrison

Registered
Reaction score
Put in another 1114 today to end the week.

DL, Yup I have 3 WIPs right now. I find I get my best ideas come when I'm working on something else. So I'll work on one and then will get an idea for another so once that first well runs drive I shift to another. Rinse and repeat. It's been working pretty well so far. Good luck in getting your final 20 pages done.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
*gasp* what an exhausting day! Glad I write in the mornings. The story was juuuust about done when it suddenly kept going! Help!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
April - I think it's good to take a skip day sometimes - hope you really enjoyed it. (Yah - it's super stressful. I'm in a 3 steps forward two steps back pattern - but it's better than 3 forward three back. that's for sure. I'm trying to see the bright side…)

DL - Congrats on getting 45 minutes in on a busy day - keep at it - I'm cheering for you! (& yeah, I thought so too. It all comes down to failing at having a stable income. I want to freelance because I really need to set my own hours, but …. I have to figure out what I can freelance as… )

Dan - very nice. I see people are still getting their word-protein :D

Taylor - keep swimming!! keep swimming!

checking in early -
Day 27 - actually managed about a whole page today. Surprised myself. Went & did some work on my garden plot, CHECKED MY EMAIL (I really just wanted to hide my head in the sand) did a wee shopping (including local honey & some nice tea (they didn't have Yorkshire Gold, tho :( ) - did some writing in the cafe there - Self-care for 2/3; Housemate call, chores then did some work on my J-class outline (I'll implement this in CSS when it's done - fun!) for 3/3

Status
Not open for further replies.