April Challenge - Write Every Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I was supposed to have the day off...but no. Good thing I got the words done this morning!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
April, yes, that's more or less what it is. But it's more stealthy than directly mean. Sigh. & I'm glad to hear you got over a sticking point. (btw - feel free to PM with any questions about the lessons. People's questions help me see what I need to do to make the lessons better.)

Ah - Lakey - I have been struggling with similar. (((hugs))) I'd say try to keep writing something & be proud of yourself that you've done it in the face of the 'hopeless voice' trying to make you stop. my 2c - fwiw

DL - congrats on getting in 2.5 hours. Fingers crossed & (((hugs))) of energy for you to get it done this month :)

Way to go, Collins - keep at it!

Dan - congrats on the un-sticking & on the 314 words. I'm curious how many WIPs your working on. (I often do multiples, usu about 3)

Xen - so sorry to hear about the stuff you have to deal with, & I'm glad to see you. I find it so easy to check in when I'm on top of things, and when I slip even just a little (aka - when I'm human…) if find it harder to check in. I'm glad you got those 200 words in, and - fwiw - I still think it's amazing that you can do it with homework and tests and everything. (((hugs)))

Congrats on getting those words in Taylor :)

Day 16 - managed about 3/4 page - but I, too, am experiencing a lack of confidence. I'm just going to keep on writing & hope that something* will occur to me. But I fear I might have an unusually good skill at writing at length about nothing…

*(basically, Im stuck in a round of endless initial 'mystery building' but I can't find something to make the adventure take off.)

it rained like mad* so I drove to work & my boss didn't come in. We spoke by phone at 9:15 & I went home (she had no way to contact me over the weekend to say 'lets reschedule'). Got home & spoke w/ my incoming housemate who will arrive from Germany tomorrow, did actual exercises in the projects that I've just been flash-carding (hey, new verb!) called in & paid three bills, did a very wee bit of planting (sweet peas) and raided the cellar for some wood to use in my 10x10 garden plot.

3/3

*the rain has been really intense at times. We needed it. You can see the river down by at least a foot. Last summer my favorite lake's beaches were creepily large.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Um, trying to put together plot elements here: aliens, demons, magic and music.

It's one of those setups where an enemy and the means to defeat them have been forgotten. Well, there's a recipe for trouble.

swim swim swim :)

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
@Allesandra - Welcome to the insanity! We have cookies :D

@Taylor - Yesh, squeeze those words in whenever you can, cause life looooves throwing curveballs >.>

@Keithy - Ooooo, another POV character? Will it be the love interest? A mentor? A bff? I mean, if you fall into temptation, don't let me talk you into it...>.> :D Also: just keep swimming, just keep swimming...*Hums.*

@Layla - Whoo! That's awesome you managed to get some writing time in between doing all the productive, adulting stuff. Kudos to you!

@April - I know, right?! Where is the month going? And why isn't it spring yet? (We got a blizzard going on up here.) Grats on getting those 800 words in!

@Lakey - *All the hugs* I'd say, if you keep getting stuck, perhaps moving past that scene might help? And hey, getting anything on the paper is a good thing, imo. As I always say: Can't fix what's not there. Good luck!

@DL - That's a good stretch of time to get some work done. You can do it, but be mindful of the pressure. Don't hesitate to take a breath, a walk, grab a glass of wine (or some chocolate), because a deadline means diddly if you kill yourself to make it.

@xenylic - Ugh, I'm sorry you collapsed like that >.< It's terrible when your energy just drops like a lead balloon and nothing gets done, but I'm glad that you're finding the strength to break through. Even a little bit is something to be proud of. And grats on finishing a chapter! That's awesome!

As for me? Well, it's the wee hours of Day 17 and I've cracked another milestone. Act 2, Part 1 is fully transcribed from my notebook! This includes the first pinch point AND the midpoint fight scene and I tell you, that was a freaking doozy to draft (although it's going to be really damn fun to write!)

Transcribed 5300 words, for a total word count of 14,700 for Act 2, Part 1.

For reference, Act 1 as a whole was 7,700 words >.>

And now, on to Act 2, Part 2!

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Lakey: Hug. Would some time away from it help?

D.L.: Good effort! You’re really pushing yourself. Fingers crossed Life stays out the way for the next fortnight…

Will: Nice job.

Dan: Ah, the joy of having multiple WIPs to shift between!

xenylic: Big hug. Never mind us – you take care of you. You’ve got so much to deal with at the moment so please be gentle with yourself. Good luck with your test.

Layla: Cool, will do. I’m going to carve out time this week to properly start. I do have one quick Q now though about verbs: do they distinguish for tense? When I see the rules of other languages it drives home how mental English is.
I totally understand your mystery problem. The latter half of 2017 was filled with my own half-started manuscripts. I could do all the setup in the world, but then the wheels would come off. Do you plan ahead? Sometimes that can help. As for the nasty critical voice, you’re doing the only thing that can be done: ignore it and push through with blind faith! No wonder writers drink so much…

Keithy: Music? How intriguing!

thereeness: Woo! So, do you sketch everything out by hand first?

Decent day yesterday. Walked 12 miles (I’m 77 from Hobbiton – still a loooong way to Rivendell!), worked on my outline and tightened some of the underlying structure. I had to keep reminding myself that outlining is writing, too. My brain is still clinging to the broken idea that drafting is the only part of the process that counts. Now I’ve got to develop the main plot points; I want to have them finished by the end of the week so I can switch back to my other project. (My original April goal has gone flying out the window!)

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Layla: We got a ton of rain yesterday too. Sorry you had to drive in that mess, only to turn around and go back home again. Guess it worked out in your favor, giving you some time to get a few garden projects done.

Keithy: Sounds like you are really enjoying working on this one. That alone makes a world of difference!

thereeness: Woo hoo! Nice work reaching that milestone!

April: 12 miles is a lot of walking! Good luck finishing those plot points. It's never an issue to change goals, as long as you have something else to work towards.

Taylor: You'll get there. Sentence by sentence, you'll reach your goal.

Will: 1,000 words a day for four days is quite an accomplishment. Congrats!

Dan: Hooray for figuring out the issue with the other project! That's always a good feeling.

xenylic: I'm sorry to hear that you are having a such time of it lately. Posting in here is great and all, but definitely let that go if it adds to you being overwhelmed! Hang in there, and only do what you can. You had also asked if I was on target. I still have 45 pages to edit. I had hoped I could do 5 pages a session, for two weeks straight, but I don't know that I can pull that off.

I only managed another hour last night, and the rest of the week is going to be very tight, because my sister is actually coming in for that visit this week. I'm going to take my own advice, and just do what I can.

DanMorrison

Registered
Reaction score
Figuring out the problem led to a very production day, 1417 words.

@Layla, right now I have 3 at various stages. When I get stuck on one and can't push through I find that switching to another often lets the brain do it's thing and figure it out in the background. Congrats on the 3/4 page.

@thereeness, congrats on hitting a milestone!

@April, Outlining is definitely writing. I figure anything that helps get you closer to "The End" is writing.

@D.L., doing all you can is all you can do :)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Lakey: You can do it! Like D.L. Sheperd said, maybe skipping ahead will help.

I’ve been doing something like that. This story has the gadget-mage going from person to person as she follows clues and I seem to be writing the chapters in parallel, roughing in each one and going back and forth in time.

D. L. Sheperd: It sounds like you’re progressing well.

Will Collins: Good for you!

DanMorrison: Congrats on finishing a chapter and getting unstuck.

xenylic: Sorry for the stress, but it sounds like you’re progressing (solving a logistics problem counts!)

Taylor: Words done, yes, good!

Layla: Sometimes I lose confidence too, but for me it seems like it’s a feeling, like an itch, that doesn’t really have anything to do with my writing. Bothersome but irrelevant. I hope you can write all the same.

Keithy: Crazy plot elements, tell me about it. Some of the fun is piecing together the puzzle.

thereeness: Thanks! Writing kind of snuck up on me, but I’m having fun with it.

April: the work you put in is all a part of writing.

I’m sort of dancing around trying to figure out how a Reform rabbi would explain the situation in wartime Cairo to my main character. Also I’m beginning to approach the point (roughly, writing chapters in parallel) where her attitude about the vampires starts to shift from horror to interest.

I wasn’t able to get much actual writing done today. Some edits on earlier chapters and a lot of thinking while I did some painting down in the studio.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
It's spring and I've had to start tidying up the garden, so little time for more than jotting down a couple of notes.

More gardening tomorrow. It gets in such a mess over winter, and I have plans for the summer.

xenylic

Advancing to the Castle Age
Registered
Reaction score
Drive-by today. I got my 1k in by the skin of my teeth. I'm really pleased with it since I was on the verge of closing up with a very slow start, and a test to do some last minute studying for. Thankfully, the test is finally over with, and I made a point of kicking back for the rest of today. I really needed the leisure time and peace of mind with all that's going on these past couple month. I hope everyone else has had a great day!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Drive by for me too.

Day 17: almost a page. Moved in the new housemate. Did some practice for $$ project. 3/3 & now it's bed. time.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Managed 1000 or so words split between two projects, and I have the day off tomorrow!

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
D.L.: An hour is still great though. Yes, your advice is good. Heed it!

Dan: Have a shiny badge for the 1k club! You’re absolutely right re ‘The End’. Sometimes I think using the term ‘writing’ for all the different parts isn’t helpful. Maybe I should refer to it as storytelling from now on… (Except that makes me sound like a bit of a douche.)

Alessandra: Right back at you: all that thinking was writing, too :)

Keithy: I’m sure gardening will be a great activity for letting your mind wander and your subconscious chew things over.

xenylic: Enjoy your leisure time! (And congrats on getting your 1k/completing your test.)

Layla: Good stuff. Hope the housemate is nice.

Taylor: Nice. So, is this a day off from work or a day off from words?

Yesterday was semi-productive. I spent a bit too much time deciding what to do and less time actually doing it. But, I did figure out the major plot points for one thread (only another six to go). I’m loving dictation at the mo’; it takes the pressure off my hands and wrists. Plus, it gets me out the flat.

Day 17: Wee bit; 8 miles; one lovely massage.

(I’m trialling the roundup. I may or may not be bothered to keep it up.)

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Dan: That was one heck of a productive day. I'm lucky if I write that much in a week. Nice job!

Alessandra: Musing about writing *while* painting, now that's multi-tasking at its finest! P.S. Editing absolutely counts as working on your writing.

Keithy: Getting back to nature by gardening is a great way to free up your creativity too. Enjoy every second of it.

xenylic: Enjoy the down time. You've been so crazy busy as of late, I'm sure it must be a much needed break!

Layla: Good luck with the new housemate. I hope this one works out well!

Taylor: Great work getting in those 1,000 words. Enjoy your day off. Hope you get lots done!

April: Kudos to a semi-productive day...always great when you figure out a major plot point! You certainly deserved that massage after 8 miles of walking!

Got in another 2 hours in last night...38 more pages to go! Today I have work, and later I still need to set up the room and food shop for my sister's visit. She's arriving either late tonight or tomorrow morning. So I may get to some editing tonight, but I'm not banking on it. After that, I probably won't get back around to it again until Monday, since the entire weekend is planned out.
Hope everyone has a nice one!

See you all next week for crunch time.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Slept in today, but still managed to write several hundred words on the short. Trying to knock out that first draft ASAP. Off for a haircut and then back to work!

DanMorrison

Registered
Reaction score
Another very solid day for me, 1212 words, seem to be hitting a nice stride, hope to keep it up.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Taylor Harbin & DanMorrison - well done to you both. That is some serious swimming!

As for me, I managed to plot out a measly single chapter. Tomorrow I will be removing a bush from the front garden, so it's not looking good.

Do what Dory does!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry another drive by for me today -

Day 18: about 1/4 page. Got a tentative appointment to do a practice session for one of my $$ projects. Went right to the dentist when I cracked a tooth, instead of putting it off… (self-care win) got some hi-tech spackling in there till my next appointment. 3/3

ps - rode my bike in a triangle of three towns today to fit in that dentist appointment.
It's 8:30. It's bedtime...

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
@April - Yep, since I can't bring any kind of recording device into work (for reasons), and because I'm more comfortable with it, I draft everything out in notebooks, by hand, before I start transcribing. That way, I'm able to edit as I go, work on things at work, and get a much cleaner draft on the computer, which makes my inner perfectionist happy :D Hence why back to school season is my Christmas, haha.

@DL - Thankies, I'm super excited to keep going and yeah, definitely take your own advice and do what you can. When family enters the equation, work is not always possible. But enjoy your visit and good luck!

@Keithy - My mom's a gardener too and she's already complaining about the mess her tulips are in XD Good luck with your garden.

@xenylic - Aw yeah! Getting that word count in at the last minute! And huzzah for getting through your test!

@Layla - Hope your new roomie situation works out good and grats on the progress.

We're going through a blizzard here in the Midwest, so I called into work for the night of the 18th. Cause as soon as bad weather hits, even though people live with it 8 months outta the year, drivers everywhere are like, "QUICK! Into the ditch!" because suddenly they no longer know how to drive. Ah well. Means more time to work for me.

Did a quick 3000 words before midnight and now it's 12:30 AM on Day 19 and after another 1000 words I'm taking a brief break before tackling more transcribing. I've spotted a gigantic plothole in my outline (characters decide to stay, catch sight of someone watching them, and then leave, even after their arguments about whether to stay or go) and needed to smooth that out. Hopefully I won't spot anymore, but there's no guarantee XD Updates to come throughout the night, until it's time for bed.

Edit: And the final word count as of 5:30 AM is 9,000 words total. I've hit the pinch point, the MC's been kidnapped and her would-be lover is beating herself up because she went chasing after gold instead. Things are getting good :D Goodnight everybody!

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
D.L.: The pages are disappearing! Enjoy your sister’s visit.

Taylor: By ‘slept in’ you mean 4am, right? :p

Dan: Good stuff. Keep pinning those 1k badges!

Keithy: Nothing measly about a chapter!

Layla: Eek, dentist. Well done for braving it. I have it in my diary to call at the end of April. I’m hoping they can’t fit me in for ages…

thereeness: Mm…stationery! I would love to write by hand – it’s so peaceful when you stick to a notebook – but my wrist can’t handle it for too long. Even though you’re transcribing, I had to laugh when you said ‘a quick 3000 words’. Fingers crossed you find no more holes!

Yesterday I kept plugging away at different plot threads. I worked out a few things, but overall, I ended up with more questions than answers. Today I’m gonna tackle my massive to-do list. No doubt it’ll have grown a couple of inches by the end of the day :cry:

Day 18: Decent bit; 12 miles; too much gin.

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Taylor and Dan: Nice work. You both are really plugging along!

Keithy: You plotted out an *entire* chapter. Great job!

Layla: Ha ha..."hi-tech spackling"...Love it! (Sorry you cracked your tooth though!)

thereeness: It's funny how people suddenly forget to drive when bad weather strikes, as long as they don't run anyone else off the road while they're remembering. But, holy crap, that snow day sure seems to be benefiting you...9,000 words!!...that's some accomplishment!

April: Sometimes questions lead to amazing answers. Hope you find great ones, and good luck weaving it all together!

I managed to squeeze in 1 more hour yesterday, and during that time I edited one page, and added another one. But that's it for me for this week, so I hope I can really pick up the pace next week. I've still got 37 pages to go.

DanMorrison

Registered
Reaction score
D.L, Layla & Keithy: Progress is progress. Keep moving forward.

April: It's better to have the questions now that figure out something is wrong later.

thereeness: 9000 words??? Impressive, transcribing or not.

I put 1475 down today, although I'll admit I just wasn't into it today. I had the scene worked out in my head so that made it easier to get the words down, if not for that I fear I may not have gotten anything down.

Any one get that nagging feeling like what you're doing just isn't good enough? That's kind of how I felt today. I have a story, I think it works and is a good one, but once down on paper I feel like nobody will care about the story.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Reeness - We have the same thing here - every year - it SNOWS - hey you know about this - and people lose thier minds. I was thinking that because I'm in an city with universites, and medical institutes & such like & a lot of the people here are from other places, maybe they've never seen snow before. But maybe it's just coz people are stupid :(

On a lighther note - zomg - 'a quick 3000 words'. woww… and then I kept reading… 9K? How do you do it? (that's just a whatever question, I really don't expect and answer)

April - congrats on figuring those things out, and on a nice walk. (ps/btw - the verbs? That's right there at the top of the page - i giv u again http://brightplover.com/japanese/l1-s1.html )

DL - congrats on that hour - & you're at 37! way to go!

Likewise, Dan, you're really moving along now - & Dan - I get that feeling all the time. Keep writing, it will pass. (somewhere there's a chart of the curve of an author's assessment of his/her own story - it's a funny pic but I'm struggling to keep my eyes open so I'm not going to go look for it…)

Day 19 - ~1/2 (3/4?) page - did not have a chance to do any significan't $$ project work and now I'n going for an 8:30 bedtime - but I did do a very good self-care and went on a very overdue clothes shopping - 2/3

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Wrote two more pages today on short #1 and even managed half a page on novel just now. Short #2 still in brainstorming phase. I'm getting close to a finished draft with short #1 and even though I know it'll need serious editing, it feels good to see the page number getting higher and higher faster than expected. I'm seriously contemplating taking a typewriter with me on my weekend trip so I can keep working when I have a chance (but a notebook and pen would probably be a better choice).

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
D.L.: Enjoy your weekend! I hope you can shut your brain off from those remaining pages for a couple of days :)

Dan: Yes, I get that feeling often. If it comes from my head in the form of actual voices (‘you are the worst writer ever’ etc), then I block it out. But if it comes from the gut (no specific words, just a kinda tugging sensation) then I listen to it. I believe the former is Fear and Doubt, and the latter is my subconscious creative brain.

Layla: Ooo clothes shopping! I’m doing that today too (though I’m skint, so it’ll be charity shops for the most part). I’ll PM you re the verbs :)

Taylor: I think you should strap your typewriter around your middle so you can type and walk at the same time. Or maybe that’s not encouraging a good work/life balance… Anyway, enjoy your trip!

I spent the morning figuring out the top items in my TDL, and thankfully didn’t throw up more questions. Later, I filled another thread into my master outline, and stared at the blank bits in the hope they’d write themselves (no such luck). Today I need to map out two remaining threads, then mesh them into chapters. The process may involve index cards and clumps of ripped hair. TFI Friday.

Day 19: Decent bit (just!); 8 miles; first day of suntan lotion for 2018. Hoorah!

Status
Not open for further replies.