Using Akismet for free on blog? When eventually I'd like to make money?

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
So, unpublished writer here. I do intend to make money writing, but it will take me a long time to get to that point -- definitely not within the next year, and probably not within the next three.

Akismet is free for non-commercial purposes. Would you use the free Akismet if you haven't broken even on your writing as a business? Then switch to the paid Akismet once your net is above zero?

Thanks!

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but you might just want to look into Akismet alternatives like Anit-Spam Bee. Akismet's licensing policy is a bit of a mess even if your site is all non-commercial.

That said, I can't imagine they're very strict about the non-commercial bit. There are so many sites using Alismet just because it comes preinstalled with WP.

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I've added a popular fee Wordpress plugin to catch spam (not Anti-Spam Bee, but its name escapes met at the moment). I'd rather use Akismet, though. It's not a question of strict they are, but rather if it's permissible to use Akismet for free in my situation. Sounds like it might be a hard question to answer if their licensing policy is so messy.